Pain Tolerance

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by nietzschefan, Sep 6, 2007.

1. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

I do have a question\comment for "tolerance for pain". I think it has to do with how much pain or experiences of pain a person as gone though.

Sex comes into play because many women deal with the monthly moon time, which can be quite horrible(from what I gather) AND experiencing child birth. They've simply been through more pain in general, methinks.

"Tolerance", what are we talking about. Pain must be dealt with regardless. Once the cause has happened the effect occurs,. So, we are talking about the point at which, you scream like a school-kid or faint or wince or what?

When I got a chest tube done(they keep you a awake for a reason I can still not fathom), I moaned and bitched as bad or probably worse than a typical woman giving birth. At first it was a med student doing the op, something I regret not protesting...he just couldn't find "entry" to my lung. Think about that vunerable nurse whom just can't find a vein for a blood sample. Finally a skilled south 'frika surgeon took over. Pain was even worse but over quicker than the dodgey med student.

Anyways, after, a female nurse took a bit of pity on me and told me she had been through the same thing AND child birth and told me if she had to do one again(in regards to pain) - it would be child birth. She might have had relatively easy births, certainly not the kind I know Shorty went through.

Anyways what do "they" mean when they say high pain tolerance?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Wisdom_Seeker Speaker of my truth Valued Senior Member

There is more pain, if you identify with it because the pain feeds with your energy when you focus on it. Like when you are focusing your genitalia during the sex act, you will focus your energy to move towards that area, and you ejaculate; if you take away your attention from your genitals, and focus on what the entire body is feeling, you donĀ“t ejaculate until you focus your attention towards your genitals.
    If you take your attention away from the pain, the energy stops flowing towards it, and the pain decreases because it has no energy.

This is the basic philosophy in high pain tolerance of advanced Buddhist monks. Also, in Tantra. I guess that women are just naturally better at this than us.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

June 11, 1963, Thich Quang Duc, a Buddhist monk from Vietnam, burned himself to death at a busy intersection in downtown Saigon to bring attention to the repressive policies of the Catholic Diem regime that controlled the South Vietnamese government at the time. Buddhist monks asked the regime to lift its ban on flying the traditional Buddhist flag, to grant Buddhism the same rights as Catholicism, to stop detaining Buddhists and to give Buddhist monks and nuns the right to practice and spread their religion.

While burning Thich Quang Duc never moved a muscle.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

I think pain tolerance is largely an inborn trait. When I was a child, like 4 years old, I got my finger slammed into a car door. My parents were talking and I stood there with my finger being smashed by the car door for several minutes until my parents stopped talking because I was taught to not interupt.

My father also tells a story about me taking a cookie at age two. There was a plate of cookies on the table and I took one. My father told me to put it back, but I just looked him in the eye and started eating it. So he hit me on the rear end. I finished the cookie, and grabbed another. He repeated his command, and I kept eating the new cookie. So he hit my rear end again. Again no reaction. He was getting worried because that time he'd hit me pretty hard and I just kept eating cookies. So he hit my rear end literally as hard as he could. Finally, I started crying and put the cookie back.

Anyway, I've always had a high tolerance for pain.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2007
  8. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

You can learn to tolerate pain very well, so I don't agree that it is largely an inborn trait.
    Of course some are born with higher pain tolerance levels due to their nervous system and genetic set-up.

As a martial artist I've developed a very high tolerance of pain through practice of frequent application of pain. It's quite fun when your friends are asked to beat you, and instead they hurt more themselves on my bones.

Philosophy and meditative conditioning helps just as well if not more. As WS said the key is to associate yourself with something other than the body feeling pain.

9. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Sure, like most traits, you can improve upon your natural ability thru training.

10. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

Yeah when you feel like you would rather just die on the operating table then continue it's pretty bad.

Women are just tougher then men.....

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I don't think I tolerate pain well. Mentally I do, but physically I don't. I never scream, cry, moan, etc. But when I'm hurt, I throw up. Broke my arm and puked all over myself. In labor, puked all over my bed. Dry heaves with every other contraction.

12. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Wow. That sucks. So while you're puking your guts out, on the inside you're tolerating the pain well?

13. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

ya well, did your parents teach you to not cry or suck it up etc?

14. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Of course. Boys don't cry and all that.

15. sniffy Banned Banned

People have different levels of pain tolerance. It is possible to increase tolerence levels as those in the military/athletes/sportpeople do. Cars, TV, central heating, hot water - these things make humans soft!

16. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Your father hit you for disobeying him and eating cookies? Wow.

Both of my parents have hit me one time each in their lives, both times it was because they were worried rather than to teach me a lesson.

I can't imagine hitting a kid for eating a cookie.:bawl:

I've never tested my pain tolerance, so I don't know what its like. Low probably, I dislike being uncomfortable.

17. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

I used to get pulled out of my bed at 11:30 pm at night (my mom worked afternoon shift)
    when i was around 11-12. I might have left an empty pop can on the table or a dirty dish around. Keep in mind I had to get up for school the next day. One day I came home for lunch, and my dresser drawers were dumped on the floor. My mom said my room was a mess and she wanted everything put away properly. I spent my lunch cleaning up my room with no time for lunch........
    I could go on...........

I treat my own kids nothing like that, and never will.

18. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Apparently its how my body reacts to the release of endorphines. (is endorphines the right word??)

19. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Wow, thats awful. Why would anyone treat their own kid like that. If my father pulled me out of bed at 12 am, it was for an impromptu tandoori chicken meal he didn't want to eat alone (he worked late and ate at odd hours).

20. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

Well you are lucky then. I was a good kid too, and didn't deserve it at all. I want my kids to speak fondly of their childhood.
    I would never treat them like that. They have a great childhood, I wish I had
    half the fun and encouragement they do. I don't dwell on it all, but sometimes
    tell them stories so they know just how good they have it.

21. sniffy Banned Banned

Not all pain is felt physically. When the physical scars have healed the internal ones remain.

You may shoot me with your words,
    You may cut me with your eyes,
    You may kill me with your hatefulness,
    But still, like air, I rise.

mighty Maya long may you inspire...

22. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

They probably won't realise how lucky they are now (I didn't; for me that was what everyone's childhood must be like), but they will when they gain more understanding. My mum had a hard childhood too, so I guess she tried to make up for it with us.

23. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

At least they won't have the horrible memories I do. My mom and dad both had a very hard childhood too. Maybe she figured why should we get off easy. Funny thing is when her grandchildren came along she treated them like GOLD I couldn't beleive my eyes. Is this the same woman? How come I wasn't treated even a fraction of how she treated them. My dad was always very easygoing, I can't say anything bad about him.
    Just he is a rich old man who won't spend a penny lol