America lagging in access to the internet we invented

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by Fraggle Rocker, Aug 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Abstracted from an article in today's Washington Post.

Broadband service in Japan is eight to thirty times as fast as in the United States and considerably cheaper. Japan has the world's fastest internet connections, delivering more data at a lower cost than anywhere else. Accelerating broadband speed in Japan, South Korea and much of Europe is pushing open doors to internet innovation that are likely to remain closed for years to come in much of the U.S.

Median download speeds in megabits per second:
    • Japan 61mbps
    • South Korea 46 mbps
    • Finland 21mbps
    • Sweden 18mbps
    • Canada 8mbps
    • U.S. 2mbps
    Japanese can watch broadcast-quality full-screen television over the internet, an experiece that mocks the grainy wallet-sized images Americans endure. Ultra-high speed applications are being rolled out for low-cost high-definition teleconferencing, telemedicine--which allows urban doctors to diagnose diseases from a distance--and advanced telecommuting to help traffic-choked Japan meet its goal of doubling the number of people who work from home by 2010.

Japan has surged ahead of the U.S. on the wings of better wire and more aggressive government regulation. The copper wire used to hook up Japanese homes is newer and runs in shorter loops to telephone exchanges than in the U.S. DSL is often five to ten times as fast as U.S. cable providers--for as little as $22 a month--and cable internet access is not widespread in Japan.

Nine million Japanese homes have fiber-optic lines, nine times the number in the U.S.

Japanese pathologists can examine tissue samples from patients without access to major hospitals. All they need is a clinic with the right microscope and a fiber connection.

Japan's lead may shift internet innovation away from the United States.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. leopold Valued Senior Member

americans enjoy FREE TV. buy a TV, stick an antenna out the window and start watching. but i understand what you mean.
    this is available in the states but it isn't implemented. it would require two different technologies though.
    i would guess that if you picked a place of similar size the stats would be a little more equal.
    don't forget that you (or whoever) is comparing two countries of vastly different areas.
    does it surprise you?
    america has started a number of things but never fully capitalized on them.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

I think that in countries like the US and Australia, getting fast internet everywhere is primarily a problem of geography. Both those countries just have much larger distances to cover with cable and so on than a country like Japan. It is inevitable that there will be some catching-up to do.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

How come finland is on the list then. Ever been there?

8. John99 Banned Banned

I go to Fin Land all the time, there is one down the road from me

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

. As far as the thread, i dont think Americans are really demanding faster internet access. I know i have no desire to watch HD prorams on my computer.

9. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

It's not about desire. The access speeds are an indication of the infrastructure that is present.

Hence the speeds indicate that other nations are on the forefront of information/technology infrastructure.

That's worrisome if you are a nation dependent on information technology. Maybe the USA isn't. It's probably build on air.

10. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

It most certainly shouldn't be.

11. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

No, I haven't. Is it as big as the US or Australia? I don't think so.

Not that I'm saying that the US and Australia would necessarily have great internet even if they were the size of Finland.

Hell, where I live, I'm still using ISDN dialup, because the lines to my house aren't up to the job of ASDL. Mind you, I don't exactly live in the middle of a city.

12. John99 Banned Banned

I can get fiber optic but have no desire to do so.

13. leopold Valued Senior Member

this could very well be like the audiophile days of the early to mid seventies.
    audio amplifier makers would advertise that their amps could deliver a flat response with no more than such and such total harmonic distortion. the competition got so fierce that they were getting down to something like 1/10 of a percent.

the human ear could not discern anything less than 3%

download speeds could be getting the same way.
    when you stream a movie do you really need anything more than about 3 mbps? i don't watch HD but i haven't had any quality issues with what i have watched, and i have a 3 mbps connection (DSL).

14. leopold Valued Senior Member

agreed.
    but you must agree that to implement this in a small country is easier than a large one.

agreed.

the US isn't dependent on information technology.
    it's getting more dependent but it's primary dependency is manufacturing.

15. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

population density:
    USA 31 /km²
    Finland 16 /km²
    Australia 2.6 /km²

As you can see, Australia might have an excuse regarding size, but the USA hasn't.

In the sparsely population nation of Finland distances are great, the costs of laying down infrastructure likewise increase. The USA is much more densely populated than Finland, hence there is no reason to assume that size matters. After all, it is all a matter of hubs, not of actual absolute distances.

Similarly the mobile phone coverage is much better in Finland than it is in the USA, also in Lapland where nobody lives. It is a choice. It is an investment. You either put a tower in the middle of nowhere or you don't. You either put a good internet connection in the middle of nowhere or you don't.

Since the USA is much denser populated with larger population centers dominating the landscape I see no technical hurdles for the USA to end so low on the list. I only see commitment.

There is of course an ideological difference. In Finland the government can make a decision to invest in infrastructure and waste money on it simply because it fits with the ideological pursuits of this nation.

In the USA people are obsessed with paying taxes and hence improvements will only be made if it will help win the elections.

I do not know the ideology in Australia. I do know that it isn't that keen to stimulate science, and maybe the same is true for technology or technological infrastructure.

No, it depends on population density and size.

That's not very promising then since Germany manufactures more than the whole of the USA.

Edit: no my apologies, that was a lie. Germany exports more. That doesn't mean it manufactures more.

http://www.finfacts.com/irelandbusinessnews/publish/article_1010305.shtml

In fact the USA manufactures most. With China going to overtake in 2025.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2007
  16. leopold Valued Senior Member

i disagree spurious.
    for DSL the speed that can be delivered to your house is in direct relation to how far you are from the telephone exchange.
    i can get 3 mbps because i only live 1/2 mile (about 1 km) from the exchange.
    if i lived 2 miles away(about 3 km) i would get something like 700 kbps.

i don't think population density has that much to do with it.
    for DSL the length of the wire is the limiting factor.

17. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

The manufacturing infrastrcuture would crumble, as would the banking world, communication, emergency services and just about everything else give a catastrophic failure of the technology in place and the internet.

18. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Aha...Let's look at the map of Finland.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

25% of the population lives in the helsinki area. The rest of the country is sparsely populated. You can drive 800km in a straight line and still not have left the country. Still they have a good infrastructure.

Now, we all have heard Americans have told us how everything is organized by state rather then by nation in the USA.

How big is Finland?

338,145 km² or 130,558 sq miles.

It's bigger than the UK which has a population of 60 million people and Finland only has 5 million people. If distance was anything to go by than the UK should be above Finland easily.

Hence the distance argument cannot be valid.

The USA is roughly 39 times the size of the UK. Finland is bigger than the UK. The USA has 50 states (or something like that). Finland is the size of Montana, one of the bigger states in the US.

You can already get the picture now I guess.

Unless there is only one internet hub in the entire USA, the states of the USA are actually on average smaller than Finland and more populated!

Hence the distance on Finland are on average larger, but they are not, because they invested in the infrastructure.

I'm sorry if I have expanded too much, but the size issue is a myth. This is a seance forum.

19. leopold Valued Senior Member

i don't deny the importance of information.
    what i'm saying is that most of the jobs in america befor1980 or so have been manufacturing.

well see? finland isn't near the size of the US.
    everybody in finland should have 3mbps DSL.
    oops, my bad. heh.
    uh finland has such blazing dowload speeds because they are, well, small.

20. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Clearly you are not interested in an honest discussion. And that is sad.

21. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

You said America is not dependent upon Information Technology.
    It most certainly is.

Before 1980?
    That was 27 years ago.

22. leopold Valued Senior Member

doesn't increase the area of finland.
    got a finland stretcher?

finland has a 21mbps speed because they do not have the area to cover like the US does. and poor australia, what about that piece of sandpaper?
    just try going across THAT continent.

23. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

That would all be fine if the entire USA was serviced from one internet hub. But as most people know, this is not the case.

And also you already forgot the little detail that Finland is bigger than the UK, and has much faster internet connections. In fact Finland is much bigger than the Netherlands and still has faster internet connections.

Hence size of a nation has no causal correlation to the speed of the internet

Hence spare us your insistence on making a complete fool of yourself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.