Star Trek vs. Star Wars

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by USS Athens, Aug 29, 2007.

?

Which is better?

1. Star Trek

45 vote(s)
    48.4%
  2. Star Wars

48 vote(s)
    51.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. USS Athens Very Special Senior Member Valued Senior Member

So, which would win if both universes were engaged in battle? (Note: SW novels are not to be used on this thread)

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. draqon Banned Banned

Star Trek on all accounts

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Lord Vasago bcd Registered Senior Member

Still StarWars

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. draqon Banned Banned

no, Star Trek.

8. Lord Vasago bcd Registered Senior Member

Lol now we can go on like this for 360pages

9. Lord Vasago bcd Registered Senior Member

Hey Enterprise B. Maybe we can use this threat to have a logical debate. Instead of 360pages arguing about the same old things.
    Let's keep this threat fun without all namecalling like in the other one.
    Allthough we are on opposite sides it's fun and creative debating with you.

10. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

LOL, I think a mod might merge the threads?

Vasago, what would you define as logical limits?

11. Fettman #1 Bounty Hunter Registered Senior Member

No books hmm why no books Lucas says they are canon as long as they don't contradict the movies, so does this also go for the Cartoons and games and comics?

12. draqon Banned Banned

"If you support Star Wars, you support Darth Vader!"

Say No to Darth Vader.

13. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

The levels of canon in SW is the most challenging in this debate. Because Lucas allows the lesser levels of canon "as long as they do not contradict the movies", it is a Herculean task to battle that entire fan base, since with all the Warsies combined, the whole EU is probably covered in their collective memories.

Were Paramount to construct an extended canon, such weapons as the Klingon Subspace Shockwave, Federation Chain Reaction Pulsar or the Romulan Phoenix Rift would be allowable in the debate, as it really doesn't contradict the storyline of the series/movies.

I do however understand at least one reason why the Trek rights holders limit the canon. I've come across a few novels (even written by Will Shatner himself) that contradicts, to various extents, the series and movies. Further, there are at least 3 that I personally would not favour as canon Trek encounters, even though the novels themselves were quite entertaining.

Trek will still hold its own anyways, if the hundreds of pages of the other thread is anything to judge by

14. USS Athens Very Special Senior Member Valued Senior Member

Yeah, but I hope TW doesn't find this thread.

15. USS Athens Very Special Senior Member Valued Senior Member

Well which books are we going to trust? Since he alows all books that don't condradict the movies what if one auther has an idea for what happened after Ep. VI and someone else had an idea for what would happen afterwards? Are they both accepted?

16. USS Athens Very Special Senior Member Valued Senior Member

Alright I made this thread to simply remove all the variables on the poll (Space Balls?!?) of the previous thread, and we can be a little less serious on this thread.

17. USS Athens Very Special Senior Member Valued Senior Member

Yeah Shatner, he's sopposed to be dead...

18. Saquist Banned Banned

that's hard....both suck right now...tell you what...who ever gets out of this slupp makes my top ten list.

19. draqon Banned Banned

vote Star Treck

20. Fettman #1 Bounty Hunter Registered Senior Member

All books published by Lucas have to fallow the same storyline, so lets say Jar jar dies in one authors books then he is dead in all other books that take place after that.

So the books don't contradict one another.

21. halo07guy Registered Senior Member

Well you see, the current popular "style" of movies and TV is gritty, action packed shows with drama, good music, and good actors, as well as some real-life counterparts.
    ST fullfils most of those ( Not so much the gritty, drama, and real-life counterparts.) SW fullfils all of those. ISDs are hybrid carriers/battleships, an idea developed by the Japanese Navy during WW2 with the Ise-type. Repulsercrafts=cars. Turbolasers= 16 inch cannons. Thermal detonators= M-67. E-11 blaster rifle=M4A1. Sentinal landing shuttle= Higgins landing craft. TIE fighter=MiG. Death Star=nuke. There are many counterparts in SW to real-life. Until the style changes, SW will always win the popular vote. Much like how rock was the most popular form of music in the 70's, in another decade or two, we'll likely see a shift in Sci Fi styles. I kind of think that ST extended to far past its time. It seems like it was made to conform to the style of the 60's,70's, and 80's. the newest series was an attempt to conform to the new style.

Part of what made SW succesful is that each movie would conform to the style of the period. The first was similar to ST. All the ones past that steadily but subtly moved towards the modern style. The Stargate series, B5, the newest Flash Gordon, and movies like the War of the Worlds movie are all evidence of this trend. SW will likely fall out of fashion in another 20 or 30 years.

22. Fettman #1 Bounty Hunter Registered Senior Member

Sw is winning on the polls again

23. USS Exeter unamerican american Registered Senior Member

Did George Lucas actually create darth vader himself? Or was it the writers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.