Calling all mums and dads

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by lucifers angel, Aug 27, 2007.

1. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

Can someone give me some advice on how to put my young ADHD child to bed, we have a warm milky drink, warm bath, a story but he is still running around the house at 1 in the morning!

any advice will be welcomed thankyou!!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. original sine Registered Senior Member

Well, I'm not a doctor or a certified psychologist, but if he is taking medication for ADHD, then the hyperactivity might be a direct result of the chemicals from those meds. Like I said, I don't know. Maybe he could acquire a taste for NyQuil? Just kidding. If anything, a good amount of physical activity a few hours before bed will probably make him pretty tired before long.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Don't let him get out of bed until he's sleeping. My parents tell me they had a babysitter that gave me some wine. It worked.

(disclaimer: I'm not a mom or a dad)

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. draqon Banned Banned

warm milk with dissolved honey in it, and a bit of chamomile tea added for flavor

8. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Why didn't you take him to a doctor before now? Take him to a doctor as soon as you can. We are not doctors and any advice here would not be something that you should pay a great deal of attention. It seems you know what he has, that means you have seen a doctor and he was already diagnosed, if so why are you asking us now. That question should have been asked during your visit.

9. John99 Banned Banned

What do you feed him? I bet he loads up on sugar and he's wired to the max. Let him run, let him be free, he will grow out of it.

10. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

I agree with John. Feed the kid right and let nature take over.

(you could slip some melatonin in his milk, but that's not a healthy long-term solution)

11. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Chains and a sturdy lock.

12. Kadark Banned Banned

A firm backhand to the chops ought to do the trick.

13. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Or. at least a firm stance, and not ALLOWING teh child to get out of bed to run around at 1:00 in the morning.
    I was restless when I went to bed too - I'd be damned if I was running around the house, though.
    When it was bed time, I went to bed.

How about a little discipline and follow-through?

14. Anti-Flag Pun intended Registered Senior Member

Coffee and lucozade, lots and lots of coffee and lucozade....
    No really, do it in the morning to make the kid insufferably hyper all day and he'll be so tired by bedtime he'll go straight out like a light.

15. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

I agree, discipline and a strong stance will put him to bed. It worked for me when I was a kid.
    Outdoor and sports activities will help too.
    Giving medicine for these kind of things is madness. These days people think that all their psychological problems can be solved by drugging themselves and their children.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

16. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Exactly.
    Give him healthy, constructive ways to send that energy.
    You will both appreciate it.

17. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Martial arts, sports dancing and hiking did it for me.

18. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

My brother stayed up late as well. Mom finally told him "your bedtime is 9. For every minute you stay up past that, is a minute earlier you have to go to bed" By the time he learned, he was going to bed at 7.

19. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

A warm, cozy straightjacket with straps securing him to the bed will work wonders. If he's active, he'll struggle until he's tired, then go to sleep. If he screams a lot, then a good gag, where he can still breathe adequately should help you get your own needed sleep.

Dr. Baron Max

20. Exhumed Self ******. Registered Senior Member

lol

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

21. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

people (including children) go to sleep because they are tired, for rest and repair. if you are not tired and in direct need of rest then you dont need to sleep.

unless you have used a decent amount of energy during the day, you will be restless if forced to sleep early before your body requires it. dont force somebody to go to sleep if they dont need it, he is running around the house because humans need to expend energy and move alot. he needs more physical activity so he is tired enough to get some sleep.

i dont know why people are saying all this other stuff. to me as a trainer its obvious. i dont sleep if im not tired, i wont be tired unless i have used energy through the day. and like me he needs to use up more energy because he has ADD.

peace.

22. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

It's 'cause we're all doctors, skilled and trained in all phases of medical and psychological disorders in both humans as well as animals. Besides, even those here who aren't doctors, they know everything about everything, so it's in their nature to explain it all to us.

Baron Max

23. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

So if your kid, Medussa, is not tired at 3:00 AM, you will just let her run around the house because she's "not tired"?
    And then what? Fall asleep during geography lessons?
    I agree, to a certain point, that if your kid is running around like a madman at 1:00 AM, he hasn't expended enough energy throughout the day, but the answer is not to let him run around and have the rule of the house and be the boss of his own actions.
    The answer is to give him more productive ways to expend his energy during the day, and perhaps pay closer attentuion to his diet.

Children, no matter how much they may disagree, do NOT know what's best for them and are NOT good judges of what their bodies need.