The Universe is a Giant Donut*

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by S.A.M., Aug 25, 2007.

1. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

*Scott Adams

Astronomers have stumbled upon a tremendous hole in the universe. That's got them scratching their heads about what's just not there. The cosmic blank spot has no stray stars, no galaxies, no sucking black holes, not even mysterious dark matter. It is 1 billion light years across of nothing. That's an expanse of nearly 6 billion trillion miles of emptiness, a University of Minnesota team announced Thursday.

Astronomers have known for many years that there are patches in the universe where nobody's home. In fact, one such place is practically a neighbor, a mere 2 million light years away. But what the Minnesota team discovered, using two different types of astronomical observations, is a void that's far bigger than scientists ever imagined.

...Holes in the universe probably occur when the gravity from areas with bigger mass pull matter from less dense areas, Tully said. After 13 billion years "they are losing out in the battle to where there are larger concentrations of matter," he said.

Retired NASA astronomer Steve Maran said of the discovery: "This is incredibly important for something where there is nothing to it."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/08/24/AR2007082400600.html

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

I could swear I've seen a theoretical donut diagram of the Universe, and it made more sense to me than the saddle diagram, but I couldn't tell you where. Seems a long time ago.

Good eye, though. That's pretty freakin' cool.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Lucas Registered Senior Member

I figure that people will come up with monikers for that bubble, my proposal is the "Cosmic Sahara".

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

I always thought there was something fundamentally wrong with the universe - no jam filling.

8. Anti-Flag Pun intended Registered Senior Member

mmmm donuts....

9. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

ooooooooooh!, I was gonna say that.

Perhaps it's a cosmic bald patch
    in need of a comb-over.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2007
  10. halo07guy Registered Senior Member

Maybe it was the site of the Big Bang? Its the only logical reason I can think of. All the matter flying out of the Big Bang would logically have left a very big hole.

11. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Wouldn't this area be similiar to the Dark Matter areas they have also located?

The composition of dark matter is unknown, but may include ordinary and heavy neutrinos, recently postulated elementary particles such as WIMPs and axions, astronomical bodies such as dwarf stars and planets (collectively called MACHOs), and clouds of nonluminous gas. Current evidence favors models in which the primary component of dark matter is new elementary particles, collectively called non-baryonic dark matter.

http://www.dogpile.com/info.dogpl/c...awto=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_matter

12. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

And Mrs. God leant over his shoulder when he'd finished and said "You've missed a bit".

13. Xylene Valued Senior Member

Is matter (stars, gases, dust) flying into the void, or out of it? That wasn't explained in the article. If the former, perhaps it's the site of a galaxy-mass black hole; if the latter, perhaps the site of a hypernova (LOTS bigger than a supernova).

14. Lucas Registered Senior Member

I wonder if then they dicussed and got divorced :bugeye:

15. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

Cosmic voids have been known for a long time (as the article states). It's the size of this one that's interesting. It's a little bit at odds with the idea of the (generally) homogeneous nature of the universe and begs an explanation under the current models.

For halo07guy, the BB was NOT an explosion IN space-time. It was a rapid expansion OF space-time. "Big Bang" was a derogatory name given to the theory by astronomer Fred Hoyle. It is a complete misnomer meant to ridicule the idea. Unfortunately, it stuck.

Spacetime is currently thought to be infinite, as it was at the BB. But the scale factors or metrics that describe spacetime were vastly smaller. Space itself is what's expanding. There is no "center".

16. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

A doughnut, or torus to use the mathematical term, has a "hole" that goes all the way through from one side to the other. You can see through the middle of a torus. If I understand this correctly, what they've discovered is an empty spot somewhere inside the universe, that is surrounded by universe. That is not a toroid shape, it's a solid with two completely separate surfaces; it has an inside and an outside. I don't know what the mathematical term for this is, but it's more like an unbroken eggshell than a doughnut.

17. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

If you are implying that this "void" is somehow seperate from the universe ("an empty spot somewhere inside the universe, that is surrounded by universe") then you are incorrect. The universe is all that there is. This is simply a large void in which the average density of matter is on the order of one atom per cubic meter. Pretty thin stuff.

Matter in the visible universe appears to be arranged in "filaments" that resemble a foam of sorts (the filaments are defined by the distribution of galaxy clusters). The spaces between the filaments are voids.

18. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

BTW, can we not recognize a silly Scott Adams quote when we see one and not be so literal?

19. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Yes of course I understand that and have argued that position several times. I apply it to the dimension of time as well as distance and suggest that the question, "What came before the Big Bang," is meaningless since, as you say, the universe is all there is.
    There are a lot of young people here who don't know much about topology. I thought it would be useful to their education to talk about the different types of "holes" a solid might have--the difference between a torus and a hollow sphere.

20. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

Agreed.

21. iceaura Valued Senior Member

"Bismarck" ?

What's the rough Italian bread that's like this - ciabatta? Voids, some large. Good stuff.

Topologically, IIRC a hollow sphere is identical to a solid sphere - product of a smooth deformation. Any closed curve can be contracted to a single point without discontinuity in the contraction.

22. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

"I meant to do that! Nag, Nag, Nag, Nag, Nag! Is that all you can do? Leave me alone, bitch!"

Yes. It is as we all feared. God is trailer trash. Why do you think he invented PBR and Nascar? He always sends tornadoes to trailer parks because he misses his drinking buddies.

23. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

For those who don't know what PBR is...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

It's the piss of drunk rednecks sold back to them in a can.