The Value of a Wife?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Baron Max, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Just couldn't resist the urge to post this bit of interesting information. And I'm sure that the women here will be especially interested in how some cultures value their women and wives.

Baron Max

Updated 10:53 AM ET August 22, 2007

KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia (AP)
    - A Malaysian villager who took a second wife has been ordered by a court to compensate his first wife and their children with a buffalo and a pig, an official said Wednesday.

The Native Court in Penampang district on Borneo island annulled the man's 10-year marriage to his first wife and granted her custody of their three children Tuesday, said District Native Court Chief Innocent Makajil, who presided over the panel deciding the case.

"It is a symbolic punishment because he violated his people's customs by marrying more than once," Makajil said by telephone.

The identities of the couple are not being revealed due to a request by the wife, Makajil said.

The man, a self-employed 30 year old, is from Borneo's Kadazan-Dusun indigenous community. His second wife, whom he married earlier this year, is a Muslim, and he converted from Christianity to Islam, Makajil said.

Polygamy is rare within the group, he added.

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

How can you annul a marriage after 3 children?

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Why? Registered Senior Member

Ha! Now that's a cheap divorce.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Annulment has many different legal definitions, Sam. And since they did, in fact, legally annul the marriage, it don't mean much to argue about it.

Personally, I think a buffalo and pig is a pretty damned steep price to pay for a woman that you don't want!!

Baron Max

8. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

I admire you Baron Max, this post is quite brilliant.

9. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

You should, he's not married either.

10. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

I wonder what percentage of the marital estate that was.

Depending on the village, that might be a hefty price. Malaysia's per capita income is estimated at just under US$13k (2006). Flip a coin. The specifics on the trio involved are, according to the article, suppressed, so it's difficult to follow up and figure out what village and what that's worth. I mean, seriously, I doubt they could take even a paltry by American standards $25k out of the guy.

11. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I would give anything to be married to the right woman, but alas no fine woman wants me any longer.

12. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

Why is that cosmic?

13. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I'm not going into great details but let's just say that I don't trust women that much and they must prove that they are trustworthy. That makes them hesitate to be with me.

14. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

Its always hard to regain trust if you have been burned. But if a woman
    is truely interested in you, she will understand that, if not then she isn't
    worth your time anyway.

15. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

That is why I said what I did. I don't need to invest my life into someone again just to have them take everything that I loved away.

16. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

Well you always have to leave open the possibility that the next time around
    could be different. Move cautiously but don't shut the door because one person hurt you.

17. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

The door is sealed. I will never have it opened again. That is a decision I've made 30 years ago and will never change until I die. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

18. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

thats sad.

19. Xev Registered Senior Member

Forgive me, but that's a rather bleak and extreme view to take. Relationships aren't necessarily about investing your life in someone - they can be about finding someone you trust and have fun with.

20. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I thought I did, until I was betrayed by my own wife who set me up.

21. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

Well we all have some horror stories about EX's. I cannot stand mine.
    But the relationship I have now is nothing like that. There are alot of
    pricks out there, and its easy to give up looking. Fortunately I found
    someone that makes me happy. Its unfortunate that your wife hurt
    you so badly......but personally I would rather try and find the right person
    even though you could get hurt again. Its the chance you take, but I think
    one worth taking then spending the rest of your life alone. Unless you are
    are happy doing so.

22. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

So, no come backs? That is what I thought. You see once burned , twice shy. I was married 15 years to the same fine woman who I trusted with my life. She used that against me and I didn't see it coming for love is totally blind. To give yourself to someone then to have them take advantage of you isn't a very good way to learn a lesson in life. I hope it never happens to you but it could. Just remember it is better to live alone than be betrayed by anyone you love.

23. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

I was replying..:bugeye: