Super Bad

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by Tiassa, Aug 21, 2007.

1. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Go see this movie.

It's agonizing comedy, for the most part. And by agonizing, I mean truly, devastatingly agonizing. I mean, maybe things have gotten that much stranger than when I was a teenager, but these characters are caricatures of caricatures.

To the other, though, once the opening rounds of torture are over, the movie takes on a certain comfort (Stockholm Syndrome?) akin to Dazed and Confused while making American Pie look, well, as dumb as it is. The McLovin joke simply cannot be beaten to death. It's one for the ages. The codependency theme between Seth and Evan outstrips Dante and Randal in the Clerks sequel. The cock joke may well be immortal. To say that Seth Rogan is one of the weak links in the film gives the wrong impression; at its weakest moments, Super Bad still stands stronger than just about any film that comes to mind.

Remember: I'm not one easily impressed by this brand of comedy. I can't tolerate the whole "embarrass the players" bit. I've never liked it, and still have seared in my mind the image of Punky Brewster singing off-key and dancing around on a coffee table when I was, what, nine? This isn't highbrow, sophisticated comedy; this isn't the kind of self-humiliating crap Ben Stiller and Carmen Diaz seem to enjoy; this isn't the easy-going humor of a Dazed and Confused, or four frames of Doonesbury. This is the kind of stuff that SNL's worst casts would have balked at; it's even creepier than when Alec Baldwin made out with the dog.

And yet, for some reason, I enjoyed the hell out of it. Super Bad rocks. Smoke at least a couple bowls before you see it, though. Then it will be easier to believe you're not really seeing what you're seeing on the screen.

To the one, I can take comfort that I was never as pathetic as these characters. Of course, neither did I ever have a night quite like theirs.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Idle Mind What the hell, man? Valued Senior Member

The story is supposed to be somewhat auto-biographical on the part of Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg (who collaborated on the writing responsibilities).

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.