A taste of racism in the Chinese food scare

Discussion in 'World Events' started by peta9, Aug 20, 2007.

1. peta9 Registered Senior Member

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/07/13/AR2007071301712.html

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. desi Valued Senior Member

When bad food happens there is usually a one sided story about it. A year or so back some cops had some methamphetamine slipped into their food at a local restaurant. You think the China stories now are bad? Its nothing compared to the shit storm that restaurant went through.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

While I'll agree that there may be some overreaction, it's pretty obvious that both you and the writer of that article are purposefully ignoring some very real and critical facts.

First, China has been a very backward country for a VERY long time, especially in regard to quality control and oversight. Most of the goods produced there, particularly food items, are made in small, unregulated factories. Their method of doing business has always been shot through with graft, corruption and kickbacks. Where there actually ARE officials who are supposed to provide oversight, they are quite normally paid to just look the other way. Both you and that writer seem to have quickly forgotten that the very head of their main regulatory body was recently found guilty of accepting bribes and was executed. And his case only made the news because it was so high-profile. No mention has been made of the thousands of lesser officials and agents who have done - and continue to do - the same thing. It's part of their culture. People who produce things EXPECT to have to payoff the officials in order to do business.

If you wish to compare the overall real attention given to quality and safety of foods, drugs and similar items in China to that in the U.S., China probably would not even rate a one on a scale of one-to-ten.

Yes, they ARE making improvements - because they HAVE to. The rest of the world expects MUCH more in terms of quality and safety than they do at home. Also remember that none of this came to light BEFORE they became a major exporter. It was already going on, though, because the government had NO interest in how many of it's people died from those shoddy practices. And why should they? They had an over population problem anyway.

As far as "trying to poison us" goes, that's just absolute nuts! It's nothing more than pitiful business practices - pure and simple.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Neildo Gone Registered Senior Member

While China is the main problem of it all, our businesses still have no problem using them as cheap labor for their own gain -- the same with our populace receiving less expensive products.

Those are the risks being a consumer society. Let's hope we increase our productivity so we have the option of buying Made in the USA products. I'd love the option of buying only Made in the USA items, but good luck finding em.

- N

8. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

I quite agree!

9. peta9 Registered Senior Member

We know the news is never unbiased.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2007
  10. peta9 Registered Senior Member

Do you look like nosferatu? You sound like it. Creepy, nazi-whispering, and pasty.

11. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Don't whine, peta. People have the right to buy their food from where they want and feel is safe. If you want to go on eating lead-flavoured cardboard, please do. I doubt the scope for brain damage is of much concern.

12. peta9 Registered Senior Member

It definitely doesn't warm me up to westerners at all when they constantly demean others as 'backwards'.

I've observed though you may have more useful laws in place, I don't consider your thoroughly inspected lard diet 'superior', LOL. Nor your legions of bible-thumping citizens or your fundamental religion.

You have to understand that all cultures have superior and inferior qualities. They all evolve and sometimes lull at their own pace.

I don't like the rude demeaning of others and yet the west like an asshole jerk likes to preach at others when others do that to you, on your moral soapbox. I simply don't see it as conveniently as you do or have your point of view on all things.

13. peta9 Registered Senior Member

Um..that cardboard story was a hoax and it's been on the news and the guy got a one year jailterm. And no, we don't all eat or want to eat cardboard jerk.

14. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Nope. And unlike you, I have nothing against any country in particular. But you seem to take every possible opportunity to bash "the West." Do you feel morally superior to all western cultures? it would seem so.

15. peta9 Registered Senior Member

You taught this american well! You should be so proud! So damn typical too. A perfect parrot of ya! LOL.

"I work at my parent's restaurant. Tonight, an African American walked in and placed an order. When the order was ready she wanted her two meals to be put in 4 different plates. I told her that we cannot do that unless she is willing to pay a little extra. She then called me a b#%ch. I immediately told her that she can have her money back but she continued to go on saying very ignorant and mean comments such as "You immigrants need to go back to where you belong. You need to f*$king learn some manners. I would slap you right now if i'm not on probation. etc." These incidents have happened a few times before. I am sick and tired of these comments. I'm a college student and i know the importance to have an attitude of equality toward all people. That's what I offer but there are people who are making it very hard for me to keep that attitude. What makes them think that just because they are born in the U.S that they are superior to Chinese people? When it comes down to it, every single one of us is an immigrant to this country! Not just Asians! We have just as much right to be here as everyone else! We work hard if not harder for a living and this is the treatment that we get? I really don't understand these ignorant people and never want to. I pity this racist fool for she really doesn't know any better being that she's a failure herself."

16. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Link? Proof? Does it also explain all the contaminated children's toys coming out of China?

I'm simply astounded that your hatred for Westerners makes you see this as a "cultural thing", peta. I would have just termed it a "lazy corruption" issue. As you like: I shall be avoiding Chinese goods from here on in, as is my right. If you think that's racism, then you're dumber than you seem.

17. peta9 Registered Senior Member

http://www.boston.com/news/world/asia/articles/2007/08/12/china_cardboard_bun_hoax_reporter_jailed/. Here's the link lazy ass.

I'm the dumb one? You lack reading comprehension, lol.

I posted the other motivations behind this 'scare'. I never said you should or shouldn't avoid products or you didn't have a choice in what you buy.

Dumb and dumber geoffp.

18. John99 Banned Banned

I have not bought anything made in China since i was able to think on my own and use logic. It's as simple as that.

19. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I don't believe you. Nothing?? Where are you shoes made? Your coffee maker? Your DVDs? Your blankets?

20. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

I'm a 'lazy ass' because I ask you for proof of your statements? I 'lack reading comprehension' because you're too lazy to post a link to begin with? Well that's a logical link. Do you work in a quality control office in China or something? I'm uncertain whether or not your problem is centred in some kind of internalized monomania - assuming that everyone else should have already read everything you've read - or whether you're merely too consumed with your own hate to self-reflect.

As for your link, I wonder with what level of surity one could believe a court confession in China - not noted for it's humanitarian and egalitarian justice system - when the outcome concerns billions of dollars in Chinese trade.

Hmmmm.

21. Neildo Gone Registered Senior Member

Don't forget that the Chinese government recently put their version of their FDA dude to death..

- N

22. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Is it really racism, or is it the fact that China, economically speaking, scares the shit out of Americans?

23. Grantywanty Registered Senior Member

This is very unlikely and a naive assertion. So many 'American' and 'European' products are made in China or have parts made in China. This does not have to be disclosed. Unless you did some serious investigative reporting or industrial espionage on every product you've bought you've bought chinese.