Slow graphics using QBasic

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Spectrum, Aug 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spectrum Registered Senior Member

I have written a progam in QBasic and it draws a room using boxes. I can move around the room using the inkey$ command but it appears a bit slow. Does anyone know how to speed this up or do I need visual basic as a compiler??

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. przyk squishy Valued Senior Member

Visual Basic is a different language, so a VB compiler won't be able to do much with your QBasic program. But there are QBasic compilers available, which could speed things up if you're currently using an interpreter. See if what you need is here, or try Google. FreeBASIC looks like it might be what you need. Basic4GL boasts OpenGL support, but you'll have to learn how to use it. In the long run, though, you'll want to move on to something more powerful than BASIC.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. river-wind Valued Senior Member

You are going to be limited in drawing based on the fact that you're using Basic. It's not a language designed for speed.

That said, there may be ways to clean up the code or to use different drawing libraries to speed things up a bit.

Are you using QBasic for a specific reason?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Spectrum Registered Senior Member

Because it's free with Windows and you can /run a program straight from dos.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. river-wind Valued Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.