health insurance help

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Spaazkaz, Aug 20, 2007.

1. Spaazkaz anti-religious spiritual type Registered Senior Member

I recently graduated from a community college. when i was a full time student i was covered under my moms insurance. Now i am out of school and have no money. Health insurance is costing about 500 a month. My family is struggling to help me pay it and i feel guilty as it should be my responsibility. The advice i get from most people is to just take the chance and go off the insurance either until I go back to school or get a job with benefits. I dont because insurance is very comforting to me and my mom is also quite adamant that i have it; id like to help us both out. I have tried applying for medicare but somehow making under 200 a week with 800 rent i didn't qualify. Does anyone have any experience with a good cheap insurance company for people like me? I am in upstate new york. Thanks much in advance.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

You can't get medicare so why did you apply?

If you're paying out more than taking in that means your mom is helping you out with the rest of the money. Why not just grow up and get a job, find a place for 50.00 a week and let mom off the hook! That way you will solve all your problems for usually where you work they give you insurance, by law they have to.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Mickmeister Registered Senior Member

Have you tried Blue Cross Blue Shield for an individual policy? It sounds like you are paying COBRA rates. I have my own individual policy from BCBS and pay $145 per month.

It amazes me at how few people know that individual policies exist.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Spaazkaz anti-religious spiritual type Registered Senior Member

whoa. sorry i guess im new to this whole growing up thing. I didn't know you could be sure if you qualified unless you applied. No, my mom isn't helping with rent, or car insurance, or water or electric, doctors bills, or gas, or anything other expense related to my apartment or myself. All she is helping me with is this health insurance. Ok she has been known to pay a cell phone bill or two but I fuckin work more than 40 hours a week under the table minimum wage. Yes I still struggle to get by and no I dont qualify for help from the govt. Where I live they dont have apartments for 50 dollars a week and I am stuck in town for another 5 months due to legal issues. damn man, I may need to grow up but you dont even know me. How can people be such buttheads to people asking for help and advice. Maybe im just in a bad mood but it came off as rude... peace

8. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

I read this guys post and felt better about not having graduated from college

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Needless to say I too would go off insurance, it's pointless having anyway when you couldn't even pay the rest of the bill :C~

9. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

This is what you stated, you have no money. If you were working then you would have stated you're working but not making much money but alas you didn't. You also didn't say WHY the job you have doesn't cover you with Workman's compensation as the law requires.

10. Xev Registered Senior Member

Workman's compensation =/ health insurence. It applies to accidents that one has on the job. He's looking for health insurence, which companies are not legally required to provide - at least not in Michigan.

As to the OP - shop around online for a cheap individual policy, or for catestrophic (i.e - covers any hospital admissions but nothing else) insurence.

11. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Well I apologize for the buttheads. We have rules about personal insults but we can't get too draconian with the enforcement. We have to err on the side of tolerance or it stifles free speech. There are a lot of people like you, and more Americans need to understand that. It's a tough life out there. Perhaps you've made some bad choices, but we all do that occasionally.
    How many other posts have you read telling about how wonderful life is with a college degree? Did you learn anything from them?
    This isn't the sort of advice one gives without mulling it over, but there's some validity to it. The problem with taking that risk is that if you are hospitalized and don't pay, the outstanding bill will loom over your credit rating for the rest of your life. If you think unpaid student loans come back to haunt you, you don't want something like this on your Equifax. You'll never be able to buy a home. Of course a lawyer might tell you to file for bankruptcy if you've got a hospital bill that you'll obviously never be able to pay off.

As for your mother's concerns, part of "growing up" is to start paying more attention to what you want and need and less attention to your parents. Just tell your mother that you can't afford insurance on your pitiful salary and that you're making a reasoned decision to accept the risk of being uninsured. If she wants you to have insurance she can bloody well pay for it!

12. Spaazkaz anti-religious spiritual type Registered Senior Member

Thank you very much for your input I had no idea BCBS had individual policies. Correct! I currently have COBRA. I will get right on that thank you so much. -Spaz-

13. Spaazkaz anti-religious spiritual type Registered Senior Member

I just wanted to clarify... My appreciation goes to all who replied not just mickmeister. This forum is awesome thanks people (fraggle, xev) !

14. vslayer Registered Senior Member

stop paying health insurance for 4 months, put that money towards a plane ticket and move to new zealand where minimum wage is $460/week healthcare is for the most part free and i dont know anyone who pays more than $150/week for rent.

EDIT: upon re-reading i see you are in legal trouble and unable to leave town. try putting the insurance payments into perspective: you are paying for insurance so that should you incur an expensive medical treatment you wont be forking over 50% of your paycheque to the hospital for the next 10 years. is it really worth it forking over that much to an insurance company when you dont have any medical bills to pay? an insurance company can charge you whatever they like as long as you are willing to pay it, but a debt collection agency has to leave you with a reasonable standard of living.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2007
  15. Spaazkaz anti-religious spiritual type Registered Senior Member

Actually i probably should have clarified this form the start, but insurance is really helping me with an outpatient drug rehab program im in. Insurance is costing about the same this program would cost me without insurance, plus I get the benefit of other coverage. I can tafford it so im looking for something cheaper yada yada yada.... I think I am going to get family plus policy form blue cross blue shield. It should cut the cost in half and will be affordable. I am only in this treatment for a few more months and then I might change everything up again. THANK YOU FOR YOUR INPUT. Id like to get out of this country at some point, I will seriously put new zealand on my list of options. thanks, -Zack-

16. Xev Registered Senior Member

Try Canada or Amsterdam for less fascist drug laws. Best of luck with your legal problems.

17. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

He's in NY state - he can't be outside 6 hours of HICHhiking distance to Canada. We will let him in, even without a passport, even though 'mericans are now requiring Canadians to have one.

Come to Canada, we will hook you up.