Why doesn't weed get me high anymore?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Oniw17, Aug 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oniw17 ascetic, sage, diogenes, bum? Valued Senior Member

It's not that I don't get high anymore, I just don't get the same kind of high. I remember last year when I was hanging out with my old friends I used to smoke a blunt and get a yellow glaze over my eyes, and they'd get so bloodshot they'd look like they had a red grid on them. I'd get to the state where I would have a hard time comprehending the Wendy's menu enough to order(because a number 9 was a 10 peice chicken nugget). Now I can smoke a 40 and only feel relaxed. It's weird because I didn't notice the same difference between a year and 2 years ago. Lately, I've been missing the kind of high that I used to get... alot. Seriously, if the $40 eighth(yes, it's expensive) I buy next month doesn't get me blazed, I'm going to stop smoking weed so I can run longer...but I was wondering, why I haven't been getting as high. I know the stuff that I used to get wasn't laced because it never made my mouth numb, and there's no way that the weed was that much better(it's like a completely different high now), so, I figure I must be getting immune to it or semi-immune. I'd like to know the physiological reason why this happens, in full detail if at all possible. For example, which cells are responsible, what process do they perform, what is responsible for the initiation of these processes, et cetera. Basically I want to conceptualise the reason why I've become more tolerant of weed.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. John99 Banned Banned

your body has ways of reacting to foreign substances and dealing with them. the long term result is that it is NEVER like the short term effect. Complete opposite effects are common and i believe the norm. but with weed i think what you describe happens to everyone.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. leopold Valued Senior Member

for one thing there are no standards when it comes to weed. you can hardly expect 2 batches of weed to have the same effect.

for another your body is telling you it's time to quit. ignore the symptoms if you wish.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. John99 Banned Banned

yeah, thats basically it

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Cannabis binds to endogenous cannabinoid receptors in the brain. Like other such receptors, continued stimulation of the receptor would lead to either desensitization or down regulation (decreased stimulation or reduction in number), affecting the quality of the stimulation experienced.

9. John99 Banned Banned

can you be certain?

is it permanent?

10. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

damn I stopped along time ago. my first blunt got me feeling good, i got horny as fuck that night too, but after it screwed me up so I had to quit

dont know. try going a long time without and then do it again.

11. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Usually the receptor amount and stimulation are regulated endogenously; I am not certain how exogenous (external) cannabinoids affect the receptors/

12. Oniw17 ascetic, sage, diogenes, bum? Valued Senior Member

Of course, but it's easy to tell that you're high from weed and not say robotussin. Anymore, it feels almost like I just smoked a Newport(which I hardly ever do) after hitting a blunt with 2-3 heads on it.
    How so(I actually don't understand how that's the only conclusion you come to)?

13. Oniw17 ascetic, sage, diogenes, bum? Valued Senior Member

I had to look that term up; I thought you were making it up at first.

14. John99 Banned Banned

I wonder if this effect on receptor stimulation mimics epidermal stimuli.

If we can shield these receptors....:scratchin:

15. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannabinoid_receptor

They are G-protein coupled receptors (GPCRs)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G-protein_coupled_receptor

That means they sense compounds on the outside of the cells and when stimulated, set off a signalling pathway inside the cell.

Prolonged exposure to the stimulating molecule can result in two types of effects:

16. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Expensive?
    I wish I could get it that cheap.

You are so wrong about that.
    A friend of mine grows about 40 different types and they are all different highs.
    He gives me all I want for free (and it's all really good stuff - too bad he is in California and I am in NY).
    He is amazing - the plants (99 of them) grow over 7 feet tall.
    He plays Jazz for them around the clock and they are on a fully automated system that will rotate the plants, feed them, adjust the lighting and whatnot for up to three weeks at a time, so he can go on vacation.
    He is constantly checking the chemicals, pH levels and whetever else he does.
    His plants give me the best high.

Some cheap stuff I get will easily take three times as much as god stuff to get me high, and it won't be nearly as good of a high, and will not last long.

Do you get it from the same guy?
    Does he get it from the same source?
    Is it the same strain?

One weed is most certainly not the same as another.
    There is this stuff you can get in Brooklyn for about $850/oz that one joint will get even the biggest pot-head seriously fucked up for hours (and it is not laced).

Know who you are getting your shit from, and know where they get it.

17. John99 Banned Banned

What does it smell like?

18. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

What does what smell like?

19. John99 Banned Banned

20. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

I never liked skunk weed.
    I hate the smell of it, the taste of it and the high it gives me.
    I like a sweeter taste and smell and a more mellow, cerebral high.

21. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

The groove is there for the finding

Three interrelated factors come to mind:

Quality: Obviously, not all the product that comes your way is good enough to melt your ass to the sofa. I remember the first time I smoked ATF weed ("Alaska ThunderF@ck") I thought I had found Paradise. For a while, I was disappointed that nothing else could get me that high. And then, through different connections, I found some really good melt-your-ass weed. These days, I don't see the point of smoking dirt weed; we grow enough good stuff around Seattle that I actually hear people complaining about Beaster (BC, Canada) imports. And this complaint is absurd; not only do our neighbors to the north keep us smoking when the cops are busting local operations, they do it with fine, kind product. That it's biker bud (partially compacted for transport via Harleys) is just part of what comes with the industry. (Mexican weed, by the time it reaches the Seattle market, is useless.)

Tolerance: You do build a tolerance to marijuana. Some of it, I would imagine, is a chemical thing; you'll build a tolerance to most drugs you put in your system. But some of it is ....

Permastone: Many people don't notice when they hit permastone. I missed it, and it was something I looked forward to. Perhaps my attention is the only reason I noticed it at all, but there comes a point when, even sober, you look at the world as if you were stoned. No, you don't walk around with permanently bleary eyes, or the smarmy stoner grin ironed onto your face, but your perspective adjusts, and the stoner's sense of absurdity creeps into your sober outlook. Things I used to overlook when I was sober now stand out as significant. Sometimes this can be the awful hair or fulsome words of a cable-news talking head; sometimes it's the grandeur of the clouds or the majesty of the trees; often, it's the humor of disaster. (Consider the old Carlin joke about the South American roller-coaster.) To the one, humanity seems quite alien from this perspective; to the other, it's easier to laugh instead of gnash my teeth when I hear President Bush's voice.​

All these and more conspire to reduce the stony perception about smoking dope. My advice is to take a couple weeks off, and when you return to the market, make sure you're getting knockout weed. You'll notice the difference.

As a short note, consider environmental and social factors as well. I prefer to be stoned for concerts, but it's not the same experience as listening to good tunes with only a few other stoners around. To the other, if I were to hang out with a country-western crowd, or in a pop club spinning Top 40 remixes, I don't think there are enough drugs in the city to make it feel right.

22. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

when I used to get high I'd get horny.....

that normal?

23. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

Wow I wondered why I'm a lil differnt after smoking!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.