What are some of the biggest "people" problems facing managers today?

Discussion in 'Business & Economics' started by hanhao, Aug 16, 2007.

1. hanhao Registered Member

What are some of the biggest "people" problems facing managers today?

are workers too lazy?
    are workers glued to watching the stock market and neglecting their work?
    lack of loyalty? working only for money? :shrug:

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. desi Valued Senior Member

Companies often have no loyalty to anyone so its hard to motivate people to work harder than necessary.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Mr. G reality.sys Valued Senior Member

Liberal Arts majors.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Mr. G reality.sys Valued Senior Member

Employees often have no loyalty to anyemployer, so it's hard to motivate companies to work harder at the loyalty-thingy than is necessary.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Well it is a two way street. It depends on the level of worker too. If you have workers at the low end of the wage scale...God help you.

9. desi Valued Senior Member

Companies are there to make money. They commonly do so by outsourcing, relocating, and eliminating positions while shifting the work to other people. These sort of things do not inspire loyalty. Back when we had good pay and pensions employees had something to look forward to for their efforts. Its not like that anymore for most people who are not managers.

10. Zakariya04 and it was Valued Senior Member

Hi all,

in the UK, the problems which i dislike nthe most is anything to do with government legislation and "proecdures" i am having to get all my Staff fire trained to a basic level which for a small company is both costly and very disruptive to production. i ahve been on fire training and yes it is useful but i doubt it is useful that everyone is trained. their is so much different legislation and beuracracy nowadays i seem to be spendign half my time making sense of it instaed of going out a generating more business or make the company more productive.

Its a real mess if you ask me.

Anyway here a tale of Government bullshit.

My company shreds a lot of paper for recycling but we are not allowed to take the recyled paper to the council run recycle plant literally next door, what we have to do is hire a skip for it to be taken 30 miles way and then probably end up back next door anyway. So all my hardwork in shredding this paper for the enviornment is being negated by the negative effcts of the carbon ommissoins from the skip truck fumes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
    take it e
    zak

11. Mr. G reality.sys Valued Senior Member

And, employees are not?
    Employees have a paycheck to look forward to. How they spend it, or how they save it, is not the concern of the employer. Employers are not your parents owing child support.

If the free market no longer places as high a value on your status as an employee, if it doesn't have to offer additional perks to attract you and keep you showing up to work day to day because you can be easily replace by people willing to do your work for less than you're being paid, maybe it's time you stop being an employee and do what it takes to become an employer? Eh.
    Well, there you go. Become a manager. Or become an owner. Get off your butt and get it done.

Or cry.

And whine.

Waah!

Last edited: Aug 17, 2007
  12. mountainhare Banned Banned

13. Mr. G reality.sys Valued Senior Member

Pixie.

14. mountainhare Banned Banned

15. Mr. G reality.sys Valued Senior Member

Employees are employers' lackeys.

Without employers, employees incapable of being employers would do what? Brag about their obvious superiority?

16. desi Valued Senior Member

They'd sit at home and collect a check paid for by employer taxes.

All half the population has to do is have a kid and you're gonna pay for it while they stay at home watching The Price is Right.

17. mountainhare Banned Banned

Mr G.
    And some people wonder why "Employees often have no loyalty to anyemployer".

Without masters, slaves incapable of being masters would do what? Brag about their obvious superiority?

Kind of makes we wish we could re-institute slavery.

Of course, your ranting and typical "Mr. G BS" seem to assume that I somehow don't want employers to 'exist'. Too bad that's a strawman. If only that strawman had a brain...

18. Mr. G reality.sys Valued Senior Member

I see "Pixie" was a spot-on estimation.

You wouldn't make it past the first interview for either of my firms.

Worthy slaves are so hard to come by.

19. adam2314 Registered Senior Member

Welfarism !!..

20. mountainhare Banned Banned

Mr. G:
    So bigshot 'successes' spend all their time on forums trolling? Fascinating. I thought that you 'employers' administrated, and shit like that.

21. Mr. G reality.sys Valued Senior Member

Equally fascinating is "you employees" imagine that you can know what's in the minds of employers when you, yourselves, can't manage to muster the personal skills needed to be employers and so have to leave it to your imaginations to fill in the gaps as best you can't.

22. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

The biggest people-problem managers have is that they don't know how to manage people. The corporate pyramid was flattened by the workstation. We don't need all those file clerks, secretaries, and mid-level people any more because everybody can do their own scheduling, typing, meeting coordination, etc. Yeah right. Watch a manager spend half an hour trying to center the heading on a report.

One of the casualties of the workstation revolution was the supervisor. The supervisor's job was to supervise the people. Make sure they knew how to do their jobs, that the office environment was conducive to working, that they felt motivated and took their jobs seriously, that they had all the resources they needed. The supervisor took over where the parents and the teachers left off. The supervisor did not spend all day in his office or at meetings, she was always there, we were his job, she was never too busy to pay attention to us. The supervisor was a role model for how to deal with people, and we all learned from them. Some of us more, some less, but we all learned a little. Those who learned the most got promoted to supervisor, and the best supervisors got promoted into management.

Voila, managers had people skills.

Today, the best programmers or analysts or writers or widget makers get promoted directly into management, with no training. They're rewarded for being good at what they used to do, not for having good management skills. Nobody even knows if they have good management skills. Their own managers have no people skills so they are terrible judges of things like that.

Paradoxically, today's managers, who have no people skills and even if they did they have no time to actually manage their people, they insist that we all come into the office and work near their offices. They can't tell if we're doing a good job because they're not good managers. So the only thing they can judge us by is whether we're in our offices and we look like we're working. And an entire generation of Americans has gotten really good at looking like they're working. It's so easy with a workstation.

If managers learned what their organization's purpose is, they could manage their people based on what they accomplish, rather than how much time they spend in their cubicles. So even if they weren't being supervised by people who spend their day with them, at least they could work at home and wouldn't have to deal with traffic and parking and business attire and Starbucks and having to pay a million dollars for a condominium in Bethesda because it's a reasonable commuting distance from Washington.

Hey mister manager. If you can't actually supervise us, then at least learn to judge us by what we produce. You do know what we're supposed to be producing, don't you? Isn't that part of your job? You don't need to watch us all day, you can just measure what we've done at the end of the week, right? People who "can't handle" working at home can be dealt with, right?

The biggest problem managers face is in the mirror.