Is Muslim Mentality Psychologically Disordered?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by TruthSeeker, Aug 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

For instance, praying several times a day at specific times. Is that obcessive compulsive? (I would say it falls into the definition.)

I think obcessive compulsive is the most common one, although bipolar disorder is probably well spread too...

Well, I don't know... what do you think?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Its 5-10 minutes of meditation 5 times a day.

Whats wrong with that?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

I'm basing this thread on my personal experience with muslims, btw...

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Thats interesting, could you elaborate?

8. draqon Banned Banned

if there were no one but muslims in majority, the mentally disordered would be us *non-muslims*

Depends who is in majority/power here...

9. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

I'm not sure. Obcessive compulsive disorder is unhealthy. I'm unsure if that behaviour is psychologically unhealthy, but it could be.

10. SkinWalker Archaeology / Anthropology Moderator

I would say that this accusation applies to most, if not all, religious cults. The catholic makes the "sign of the cross" when confronted with everything from nearly being run over by a car to just before entering a boxing match.

The Baptist will echo "amen" after any mention of his/her deity in public.

People make public displays of piety all the time. It isn't so much for their gods as it is for their peers.

But it occurs to me that if there are a billion muslims in the world; and they each pray 5 times a day; this is 5 billion prayers a day; almost 2 trillion prayers a year. It would seem they either aren't praying about anything or their god simply likes the status quo since their part of the world is the most violent.

Like I said, however, I could apply this same line of thinking to the Protestant or the Catholic. They pray at least as much (if not more). The Muslim just makes it convenient to quantify his/her prayers.

Religion -any religion- amounts to just a set of obsessive compulsive actions. Hence the colloquialism: to be "religious" about something as in "he brushes his teeth religiously after each meal."

11. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

Is Christian mentality disordered? Killing children for arguing for their parents is a bit extreme..........

Is Jewish mentality disordered? Going back and forth praying to a stupid wall?

So yea, I dont get your point

12. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

We had a babysitter who was a muslim, for instance. She was very obcessive. If we wouldn't bring exactly what she asked with exact precision she would just flip out at us. We also had to come at an exact time (not 2 minutes early or late) and we had to let her know when we would come about a week before (she got paied full time regardless of when we brought him, btw). She also continually judged us. For example, in the beginning of the fall, if he didn't have a heavy coat she would complain saying he was too cold. She seemed normal at first, but her behaviour was strange once we got to know her.

13. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Yo guys, please keep it a logical ordered discussion please. No bashing people here, that's not the purpose of the thread.....

14. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

It seems somebody doesn't know the difference between an extremist and a moderate.....

I'm moslim, but I almost never pray nor celebrate our holidays.

15. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

And I was not, I was showing you that the fact that Christianity advocates and encourages the killing of children and nonbelievers,etc, is wrong and therefore they are mentality disordered or whatever

Judaism prays WAY TOO MUCH, and to a wall for crying out loud! = mentality disorder

16. Enmos Valued Senior Member

How does her being weird has anything to do with her being a muslim ?
    Maybe she was just weird.

17. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Behavior dictated by culture is not considered a true psychological disorder, however there is something called cultural insanity, or mass hysteria that can manifest especially during religious events or rituals. For example, the apparitions at Fatima.

If culture made us insane, then you could argue that all of western industrialized culture causes mental illness.

18. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Seems like she has some personality issues, but what exactly is OCD here?

19. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Not to hijack his thread but I find that statement ludicrous! Can you offer some proof of such a claim???!!!!????

20. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Please, do your best not to prove TruthSeeker right. :bugeye:

21. draqon Banned Banned

no one is mentally retarded, they are just not in majority in their thinking vs the general population thinking/logic.

22. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

When you or Truthseeker offer proof for your claim that Islam causes mentally ill people, I'll tell you my proof.....oh wait, you can't!

Ever read the old testament?

23. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Well I have been known to occasionally mumble to myself while walking around with my eyes rolling back in my head.

I guess it could be misconstrued as a psychological disorder, but actually its just me doing eye and breathing exercises.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.