Global Warming an artifact of Y2K?

Discussion in 'Earth Science' started by madanthonywayne, Aug 13, 2007.

1. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Now here's some news. Global temperature data has just changed for the better. Was is due to a reduction in CO2 output? Or perhaps due to increased use of alternative fuels?

No. It was the Y2K bug. Remember how 1998 was the hottest year on record? Not anymore. Now it's 1934! And that's not all. 5 of the 10 hottest years on record occured before WW2.

What's responsible for this change? The detection and correction of an error in calculation caused by Y2K.

http://www.norcalblogs.com/watts/2007/08/1998_no_longer_the_hottest_yea.html
    http://www.dailytech.com/Blogger Finds Y2K Bug in NASA Climate Data/article8383.htm

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

The flaw did have a noticeable effect on mean U.S. temperature anomalies, as much as
    0.15°C, as shown in Figure 1 below (for years 2001 and later, and 5 year mean for 1999 and
    later). The effect on global temperature (Figure 2) was of order one-thousandth of a degree, so
    the corrected and uncorrected curves are indistinguishable.

Contrary to some of the statements flying around the internet, there is no effect on the
    rankings of global temperature. Also our prior analysis had 1934 as the warmest year in the U.S.
    (see the 2001 paper above), and it continues to be the warmest year, both before and after the
    correction to post 2000 temperatures. However, as we note in that paper, the 1934 and 1998
    temperature are practically the same, the difference being much smaller than the uncertainty.
    Somehow the flaw in 2001-2007 U.S. data was advertised on the internet and for two
    days I have been besieged by rants that I have wronged the President, that I must “step down”, or
    that I must “vanish”. Hmm, I am not very good at magic tricks.

http://www.columbia.edu/~jeh1/distro_LightUpstairs_70810.pdf

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Your post, which I assume is just a quote from your link, completely contradicts mine and the evidence. Your quote claims 1934 was always considered the hottest year. Really?

Climate Experts Worry as 2006 Is Hottest Year on Record in U.S.http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/01/09/AR2007010901949.html
    2005 Tied 1998 As World's Hottest Yearhttp://www.ucsusa.org/global_warming/science/recordtemp2005.html
    NASA and NOAA (National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration) both released data showing that 1998 was the hottest year on record, by a surprisingly large ...www.gsreport.com/articles/art000009.html

Your quote makes it seem that this correction is no big deal, but you'll notice if you do a goggle search that the media and global warming propaganda machine have been proclaiming almost every year the hottest ever to create the impression of a crisis. This correction throws all of that overboard.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. dixonmassey Valued Senior Member

I don't know why right leaning people don't rely on their senses and eyes. Instead, they are searching the murkiest sources supporting their "business/plunder as usual" desires. It's getting warmer in the many places I've been to, I don't need any grant eaters to verify my senses and visual perceptions. Just small friendly advice, to get even surer that nothing threatens "mindless consumer paradise" (meaning consumers with $ and dead taste buds

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

or any taste for that matter ) suggest the right grant eaters to include molten core and troposhere in the calculations of the average Earth temperatures. I'm sure that such calculations will support your deep seated believes absolutely.

8. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Mostly, I think they are worried about the economic impact to their lifestyle.

Its hardly a selfless concern that drives them.

9. Learned Hand Registered Senior Member

Agreed. In our capitalistic world, global change means a global hit to economies who fear or cannot fathom sudden change. While I think the planet has its checks and balances on the global warming phenomenon -- which perhaps is why we have NOT seen overnight changes in climate regions, our own proliferation of greenhouse gasses and stratospheric abnormalities will eventually cause the planet to undergo climate change to wipe out (e.g. make disfunctional geographically and economically) those areas of the globe causing the abnormalities.

10. guthrie paradox generator Registered Senior Member

MAD- you might like to notice that there is a difference between the COntinental USA and the rest of the world. This may of course be something of a shock to you.

You see, 1998 was the armest year on record in the world. 1934 was the warmest year on record in the continental USA. (They had thought that 1998 tied with it) Now, as for 2006, I don't have any info right now one way or another, but I'm afraid at the moment, your claims regarding global warming are a pile of mince.

11. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Is that why they named it "global" warming instead of "national" warming?

I'm not quite clear on this, having been involved in the Y2K remediation project. (Like every programmer on the planet. People who say it wasn't a crisis have no idea how much labor went into making sure that it wasn't a crisis!) Are we saying that the incorrect numbers are the result of bugs in the original code? Or in the remediated code?

12. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Uh, guys:
    So anyone more interested in US progaganda than in the climate will have a reason to pay attention to the effects of this discovery.

Aside from its uses to Exxon's fee-for-service "scientists", it doesn't make any difference to anything.

13. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Yes I remember huge snows in the seventies. You may recall that it was so cold the scare mongerers were screaming about an impending ice age caused by excess emissions of soot and other particulate matter.

Funny that no matter what the problem, even the exact opposite problem, the solution is always the same. Decrease energy use. Lower your standard of living. Increase government regulations. Decrease freedom.

Fuck all that. Your "evidence" is anecdotal and doesn't mean crap. But, frankly, it's about as good as any of the so called "science" of global warming.

When you can reliably predict the weather say, a year in advance, perhaps then I'll listen to your prognostications on weather conditions 100 years hence. Until then, I'm not buying what you're selling.

14. guthrie paradox generator Registered Senior Member

Apparently nothing to do with the year 2000 thingy at all:
    http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2007/08/1934-and-all-that/

15. guthrie paradox generator Registered Senior Member

The thing about 1934, 1998, and 2006, is explained as follows:

http://scienceblogs.com/deltoid/2007/08/so_who_exactly_reported_that_n.php#comment-533463

More information can be found on that page.

16. Exhumed Self ******. Registered Senior Member

What an exhibition of ignorance. Anyone who puts any merit into this has just surrendered all credibility.

17. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Earth Science is one of this website's scientific subforums. Please comport yourself like a scientist in these halls. You have not participated in this discussion so you can't fall back on the excuse that you've been trying to explain this to us knuckleheads and you just can't get through so you're expressing your frustration.

You don't jump into our discussions and just start insulting people without making a single substantive statement. That is not science, that is trolling and it is a violation of the rules. If you have something to offer, do so.

18. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

An interesting sidenote to this story, apparently the guy who noticed the data irregularity is the same guy who debunked Gore's famous "hockey stick".
    And another interesting tidbit in the news today:
    "Arctic Ocean Getting Warm; Seals Vanish and Icebergs Melt."

The article, obtained by Inside the Beltway, goes on to mention "great masses of ice have now been replaced by moraines of earth and stones," and "at many points well-known glaciers have entirely disappeared."

Sounds like a typical alarmist global warming story, until you notice the publication date: The Nov. 2, 1922 edition of The Washington Post. Apparently there are many such stories from that era on record. Could it be that the global temperature fluctuated even before we increased CO2 output?
    http://www.washingtontimes.com/article/20070814/NATION02/108140063

19. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

The one thing that always seemed to be missed in regards to global warming is the worlds increase in Radio-Telecommunications. If you were to look at the figures from the days of Marconi and the first broadcasts you'd notice a steady increase in Radio-Telecommunications over the years as it expands with it's use in regards to technology.

I have a suspicion that Radio waves are the reason for Icecap retreats. A simple experiment would pretty much justify it.

two boxes would be required, one Shielded from external influence and the other having either a simulated radio-spectrum environment like we have now or the actual environment we have now. In the boxes two identically sized pieces of Ice are placed, it is then timed how long they take to melt. I'm suggesting that even if the boxes maintain the same temperature, the one with the radio-spectrum will melt sooner because the ice crystals will be oscillating in regards to the radiology.

(I often considered if the secret to Cryogenic freezing was to freeze with an oscillating frequency to stop ice crystals forming, which is the main reason for the thoughts on Ice caps melting)

20. Atom Registered Senior Member

LOL!

Are you seriously expecting anybody to take that guff seriously without any evidence or data?

He's having a larf.

Don't use a mobile phone, Stryder. Your head will melt.

Sorry. Too late

))

21. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Of course it did. There were ice ages, duh. There was even an era of warming during medieval times, when England had vineyards and the inland waterways of Scandinavia were navigable. I agree that trying to place blame for the current warming trend is unwise because it distracts people from the need for a solution. The point is that scientific models indicate we can slow it down or even halt it by curtailing our own emissions.

The planet as a whole survived temperature rises in which sea level rose and fell by 200 feet. Even its ecosystem apparently survived too since we're here. But there was no civilization then. Civilization by its nature tended to spring up around seaports which facilitated the exchange of goods, technology and culture. Today one tenth of the human population still lives within 30 feet of sea level, and most of our cities with more than five million inhabitants are also in that region.

Considering that most of humanity waited until 1999 to launch the Y2K remediation of billions of lines of software code, I don't hold out a lot of hope for their response to a rise in sea level. Unfortunately the same pessimism applies to the much more abstract threat of global warming.
    Don't you think it would be more effective to have explained why he was wrong? Most of the people who come here are children who don't have your vast knowledge of physics and this would be a great opportunity to share it.

Sunlight is electromagnetic radiation. It causes molecules to move more quickly, which is another way to say that the matter they comprise becomes hotter. Can you explain why it's impossible for a solid--particularly a crystalline solid like water ice--to vibrate in response to electromagnetic radiation? This seems like a good exercise in explaining science.

22. Pandaemoni Valued Senior Member

Even unrelated problems, like global terrorism.

23. iceaura Valued Senior Member

I thought that name sounded familiar - he collaborated with another guy of similar political leanings and scientific integrity to embarass himself by arguing over paleontological and early historical climate data he knew nothing about.

The graph he and his colleague, (both statisticians with no experience at climate modeling, paleontology, meteorology, or any other relevant scientific field ) came up with had a dramatic warm spell in Europe just about the time all the canals in Holland froze hard, and the Thames froze over - among other oddities in their approach. Apparenlty they hadn't checked their theoretical statistical "corrections" against real world evidence.

The "debunking" lasted about as long as it took a few professionals to look it over, and the hockey stick is still around - albeit modified in light of informed and cogent criticism by others.

And it was never, and is not now, "Gore's" hockey stick. Gore had nothing to do with it.