Similar Threads

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by Orleander, Aug 11, 2007.

1. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

OK!! No laughing at me! At least, no typing that you are laughing at me.

I just noticed something. That 'similar threads' thing at the bottom. How long has that been there? Is that new?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. draqon Banned Banned

...I just noticed it.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I suspect Stryder

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

Excellent idea. Also a bit sad, this beginning of the sciforums singularity, when we all realize that it's all been said before, and we sto

8. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

I figure it was part of this morning's software update. If not, don't fret, though, because I don't recall it, either. Then again, every once in a while I scroll through to the bottom of the page and discover stuff that I've never seen before. It happens. I'm trying to not pay attention to it right now, because it's suggesting threads that have been inactive for a year ... although that could be an interesting game. What's the longest-inactive thread it suggests? What's the worst recommendation? Could be interesting.

By the Orb, let's hope we're not that bored. Hype's got a point. Quick, where's the next Republican offering bl

9. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Tiassa's right, it's an addition to the Software after the upgrade. I'd make use of it while you can, it's negligible whether it will cause a greater serverload through it being written at the bottom there or if it lessens it by getting people to threads quicker.

Although ideally, It should show when you first press 'Preview Post' if you are a Thread starter as it would allow you to identify already open threads on topic you've decided to start. (I'll have to look into a Hack for that)

10. pseud0 El Comandante Administrator

Yep, the vBulletin system has been upgraded. We added Similar Threads in order to help membes and visitors to navigate faster through similar topics. I hope you'd like it

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

well I think it is a nice upgrade. :bravo:
    I was just a bit embarrassed to realize it may have been there since I started and I had failed to see it.

12. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Image-upload works differently now too.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

13. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

The 'similarity' seems pretty sketchy most of the time. But, hey, as long as it doesn't crash the database, whatever.

14. pseud0 El Comandante Administrator

Well, the DB crashes should belong to the past now, since we upgraded the server with additional memory as well. Anyway, if you guys notice any issues or DB problems, don't hesitate to hit me a PM right away.

15. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

I will post here first. If I can remember, PM you later you or someone DB/system related does not respond here.

It is a very small point, but annoying, for no reason I can think of.

When I first return to sciforums, I usually click on my own name (in the top right of screen to see if I need to respond to someone commenting on one of my posts). The list of recent post that then appears is often of zero length and rarely more than 4. It never fills the screen. So one more click is required to see a page of my posts with recent activity.

Perhaps there is some way to set the display to always show at least one page (or all, if all does not fill a page) and I am just too inept with the current system to command this; but, if this is not the case, can you not cause this display to automatically show a full page of recent activity posts (or all, for those who have posted in few threads)?

PS: If you keep a file of "things to change next up grade," please add this, if technically simple.

Thanks, Billy T.

PS2: I know this is not exactly on thread, but it certainly it is "multi-thread" related. I did not think it a big enough problem to start a new thread about (pushing another off the first page of listed threads.)