myths and dreams

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Avatar, Aug 8, 2007.

1. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

For some time I had no dreams that I could remember of. Also for some time I had read no myths, folk tales, etc., but only technical literature and literature for studies.

Last weekend I picked up a book on Aborigine myths and legends and whoa! - interesting dreams the following night and the nights following. Nothing resembling those Aborigine stories, but vivid and interesting nonetheless.

When I was younger I read a lot lot of folk tales, myths and legends, and now I've discovered my love for reading them again. And it seems with it also my dreams.

Seems to prove that studying about something can't replace experiencing it.
    Now I'm back on track both studying and reading those stories which brought me to my studies in the first place.

Any way, what I find interesting is how reading myths has revitalized my dreaming.

This reminds me of the theory first put forward by Jung, I think, that dreams and myths come from the same source and process of creation. I know it is true from my experiences, but what I hadn't realized is how the experience of one can influence the other.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

I was speaking to a Psychiatrist I used to know and lamenting over the fact that I VERY rarely remember my dreams (if I dream at all).
    He told me I should be thankful - it meant that I was sleeping soundly.
    Those who dream often and remember their dreams are having relatively restless sleep.

Perhaps reading about the myths sparks your imagination, and your mind is restless when you are sleeping.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2007
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Yes, I think the same thing.
    And I better remember and have dreams than not have them,
    it gives me more experience to my life. On average we spend 1/3 of our lives sleeping, through dreams we have the opportunity to live and experience ourselves even during sleep.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

why would we remember our dreams if we are asleep? Are we supposed to? :shrug:

8. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

It is possible to sleep soundly and remember dreams. It requires awakeing without noise and actively trying to "remember" the dream(s) when you awake naturally.

I think you are on to something Avatar. The same place in the brain stimulated by creative/adventurous thinking causing vivid dreams. A great many REAL things have come about from vivid dreaming.

9. Wisdom_Seeker Speaker of my truth Valued Senior Member

There is a Yogic practice called "Tibetan Dream Yoga", and it is said to be the first step towards knowing yourself better. The practice is simple, just have a "Dream Diary", and write what you dreamt every time you wake up.

Each month, read all your dreams, and moments of insight will arise because you know what mental and emotional state you had when you had the actual dreams. Some say that our spiritual guides sometimes speak to us in our dreams, but none of this dreams should be taken literally.

It is like your soul is trying to tell you something, but not in the language you are familiar with, but with images and emotions that represent for you what your soul is trying to say.

10. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

11. Wisdom_Seeker Speaker of my truth Valued Senior Member

12. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I dream better when I get laid just before I slumber off.

13. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Last night i dreamt i was in a meteor-shower, and i got hit in the head ! :bawl:
    Somehow i survived though. :shrug:

It was a fascinating dream, it all looked so real.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

14. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

Actually now that I think of it, I never have so many dream in one night as I do after a good drinking binge.

15. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

dreams are there to tell us somthing!! i.e somthing might be wrong in our lifes and we have to fix it.

i ahve a dream where i am in my house with my kids and this man comes in and try's to kill my kids and i fight him and i tell him to shoot my instead, whch he does and my kids get away.
    -
    -----------------------------------

also why do we ahve dreams where we are falling and cant wake up?

-----------------------------------

and anouther one is, i dream that i am paralized and when i wake up i cant move my legs.

i also ahve waking dreams which are very weird

16. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

You can wake up but you don't want to. If you really want to test what I say I want you to try and remember to wake yourself up by telling yourself to do so the moment you start to fall.

The legs is perhaps that your trapped somewhere like at work or a marriage andcan't get free.

Dreams are not weird, you are.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

17. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

well i already knew that, but thanks for confirming it

18. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

have you ever been falling asleep and suddenly your body does a big jerk and you startle yourself?

19. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

They are called myoclonic jerks.
    Most people get them to one degree or another.
    My ex used move her fingers like she was playing the piano when she was falling asleep (she played since she was a kid and it was her greatest passion).

20. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

yes! i have

21. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

That's not exactly how he put it but it's on the right track. The images in our dreams are often "archetypes." An archetype is a motif that occurs in almost all cultures in almost all eras. It is a type of instinct, like the desire to raise a family or to run away from a large angry animal with sharp teeth. Unlike those instincts, archetypes do not all have obvious survival advantages.

Some yield to analysis. The "rites of passage" we put youngsters through is a way of preparing them for the actual pain, risks and sorrow of adult life and the situational ethics they will have to practice to navigate it. But others, like the story of a person rising from the dead or a city sunken in the ocean, defy interpretation. It could be that at some time in the past there was a peculiar danger that resulted in only the people having that instinct to survive. Or it could be an accidental mutation that by the law of averages was passed through a genetic bottleneck like Lucy.

A religion is in essence a collection of archetypes. That's where their power comes from. We "know" these things instinctively so we don't have to stop and think about whether they are true!
    Many drugs interfere with R.E.M. sleep, which is the level at which dreaming occurs. But for some people, a particular drug cuts through their anxieties and other problems, relaxes them and allows them to sink into R.E.M. sleep so they get better rest.

22. Grantywanty Registered Senior Member

Reading the myths set your mind in the temporary habit of a certain kind of process. Myths, unlike say a biography or newpaper articles, etc., involve transformations of objects and beings, non-linear narratives, narrative lines that begin and do not resolve, apparantly non-logic sequences, metaphorical and associational jumps, and so on. This is setting you up for dream processing and preps your mind for the dreaming process, also makes it more likely that the conscious mind will remember it since it is atunned to this type of processing. If you engage in more logical, linear thinking and read similar texts all day long, this can effectively suppress more intuitive kinds of processing AND the remembering of such processing that happens when you sleep.

23. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

It scares the hell outta me. I think I'm falling out of bed. Have you ever freaked out the person you were sleeping with?