Automated Software Bug Detection

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by KareemErgawy, Jul 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KareemErgawy Registered Member

Hi All,
    I want to start a project that can locate and fix or suggest fixes to software bugs. I mean that my idea is to automate software debugging process as much as possible. Actually, I don't know if there is anybody who implemented this idea before or thought about it, but I want to make it as my graduation project in the faculty.

So if there is anybody who can guide me to any useful material, please I need that material so much.

If you can't guide me to any useful scientific material about the subject but you have an effective research mechanism that I can use in my research about this subject, please tell me what you have and I'll be so grateful.

Thanks in advance for any help

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Blue_UK Drifting Mind Valued Senior Member

Actually, that's my job!

I am a verification engineer. I write software that emulates hardware. The software simulation and a special simulation of the hardware are run in parallel (essentially) and differences are detected automatically.

Then, when the design team make any changes they can run my simulation with their new design files and see if they have accidentally introduced any bugs in previously implemented components.

----

The problem with 'bugs' is that you can't tell what a bug is without having a specification for the project. In other words, a bug is defined as the difference between the projects behaviour and the desired behaviour. There is no other distinction - so you can't make auto bug detection. The only reason it work in hardware is that it's not too hard to write a high-level model of a piece of hardware, and that's what a computer needs to be able to see what the desired behaviour is.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. pencil Banned Banned

You need a Quality assurance plan. The most common plan includes macro-based programs that automate user-interface commands. The problem with this is that the macro scripts/commands to write are very time-expensive. You could also include a dedicated QA team. Also note that no software is 100% bug-free.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Technically, "All software gives you bugs 100% free"

8. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member

These links won't last long, but it's worth it while they do

9. Blue_UK Drifting Mind Valued Senior Member

very good!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.