The death penalty: For silly things, right or wrong?

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by lucifers angel, Jul 25, 2007.

1. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

i was reading the duggers thread and someone said that they should have the death penalty because she had to many child (16 children), who are we to decide who has to be put to death, and where shall we draw the line, when is it ok to kill someone?

i dont think it is ever a good idea, because of the way the legal system works, they make mistakes and some one could be "killed" and then found not guilty, bit late then when the person is dead.

so why do people insist that the death penalty is the right thing, we know that it wasnt a very good deterant anyway.
    --------------------------
    In February 1994, authorities in Russia executed serial killer Andrei Chikatilo for the highly-publicised murders of 52 people. The authorities acknowledged that they had previously executed the "wrong man", Alexander Kravchenko, for one of the murders in their desire "to stop the killings quickly". Another innocent man suspected by the authorities of the killings committed suicide.
    ---------------------
    Less than 1% of all murderers are condemned to death
    2% of death row inmates are actually executed
    Over 113 people on death row have been exonerated since 1973
    68% of the death penalty convictions between 1973 - 1995 were reversed
    Today more than 75 death row inmates have spent 20 years on the Row.
    Capital punishment is applied to a higher percentage of minorities than whites.
    -----------------------------
    http://www.sptimes.com/2002/04/19/Opinion/Shameful_death_penalt.shtml
    --------------------------

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. draqon Banned Banned

Andrei Chikatilo was a killer...hardcore....hardcore killer...there is no denial in that.

killing him is not enough...lifetime hell is more like it.

Anyways Alexander wasn't an angel either ... the guy was doing crime as well.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

but he did not do what they punished him for!!

he shouldve have been sentenced according to his crimes and no one elses, to kill some one because "wasn't an angel either" is fairly bad!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. draqon Banned Banned

the dude was resisting arrest, also he wasn't cooperating.

Anyways if you have seen the sort of things Chikatilo did...the dead bodies lying everywhere...not just police will go crazy...the whole country will. I mean, something had to be done. Innocent Alex was...yes...but at that time more lifes were saved by knowing he isnt that killer, so that more pursuit will be done. Its technical really. It isnt about innocent guy killed...its much more intricate.

8. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

well that makes everything ok then, to kill someone just so that people will not look for the real killer any more!!!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. draqon Banned Banned

they did look for the real killer, they did find him. But the community outrage and fear had made police act...do something. You have no right to judge this decision, you (nor I). There are times when things must be let go off. It is not about right or wrong...it is about saving lifes.

10. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

at what point is it ok to kill someone to please the community? it is never ok to murder someone to please other people. yes murder is wrong but my arguement is i dont think the death penalty is a good idea, i think mistakes happen and they are mistakes that cannot be undone.

11. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Of course I was kidding, I'm very much against the death penalty. The real question is how many innocent people killed is an acceptable number? Because our judicial system is far from perfect, and people are often released when new evidence is found, such as DNA.

12. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

The death penalty is wrong but the prison system is no better; as a society we need to move towards better methods of accountability than a cage.

13. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Thousands, tens of thousands, of people are killed every single day in the the world, and it ain't no big deal to the great majority of people ....'cause we don't read about it in the papers. If the justice system just executed convicts, and the news media didn't make a big deal out of it, no one would ever know .....or care.

Once again, the idealism of the situation loses any of the rational thoughts of the realities of the world around us.

Baron Max

14. draqon Banned Banned

I believe that it is the right of society to execute those who have crossed the law far beyond the society boundaries. Execute=death.

15. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

i dont think its right to kill anyone fullstop!! if its wrong to kill then its wrong to kill, the death penalty is just legalised murder

16. draqon Banned Banned

Yes it is. But murder which that individual brought upon him/herself.
    Society is an organism and it has cancer cells which must be eliminated.

There is no right or wrong, there is no God, there are we and this world which we live in. Save thousands, by killing one.

17. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

but since when has it been ok to kill one person by MISTAKE??

18. draqon Banned Banned

come on, thats not what I am talking about. that case with the guy getting killed instead of the lunatic...that was not right...well guess what nothing can be done about it. So next time police learns better ways not to kill those under investigation.

19. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Call me a fringe lunatic, Baron, but killing is a big deal, even though for your party it's just business as usual.

20. draqon Banned Banned

Baron?

21. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Baron Max, post #10.

22. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

so they have murdered an inocent man, therefore making the death penalty a mistake, it is not right for an innocent man to die, due to wrong justice!

23. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

If you are a child rapist, I want you dead. No ifs, ands, or buts.