Windows XP Sucks

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Bobby Lee, Apr 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bobby Lee member Registered Senior Member

I just wanted to know how everyone else views the XP operating system? Ive used it alot in my business and I hate it. It seems slow and sluggish. It is not very secure either I understand? The way it has to be reg., to activate, what would you do if you wanted to put it on your other machines?

bjl

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

I have the cracked version with no need for registration

And as for security WINDOWS XP PROFESSIONAL is the most secure OS made by M$ up to date.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Bobby Lee member Registered Senior Member

XP Pro

Im not sure what you mean by the term "Cracked" op sys., but thanks for the info!

bjl

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

by cracked I mean tht it is a pirate copy- but tht itself wouldn't do the trick. the interesting part in this is tht it's a MS company workers (??testers??) version- you know wat tht means?

those bastards need no registrations (at least mine version)

8. Rick Valued Senior Member

I tested with XP PROFF with a Cracked version,luckily i got the original HOME version....

bye!

9. daktaklakpak God is irrelevant! Registered Senior Member

The XP Corp version doesn't need to register. If you think XP interface is slow, you can revert it back to win2k interface easily. About security, I think it's the user that makes how secure an OS can be, not the other way around.

10. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Glad to see your back, daktaklakpak

Quite simply I semi-agree, that the adminstration of system does tell the difference between a secure system and one that people can get into. This is most notible by the amount of people that don't even bother with the security updates for their systems, leaving them open to old security holes (Ones that the few will try to utilise if they happen to spot them while looking)

I know that the installations of systems do have a nasty habit of installing things you don't need or use. For instance programs associated with Networks, that don't need to be installed on standalone.

Perhaps people should take the time to do a Custom install rather than default or full.

11. Robeson Registered Senior Member

I have 20o0 pro and it works fine.

12. Clarentavious Person Registered Senior Member

"Windows XP Sucks"

No kidding!

It has crap for compatibility with older programs (example, those created to run on 9x)

It's not secure at all. Forget about hackers breaking in, microsoft will be the one stealing info from you! (try doing a search in your local intranet zone, or viewing a movie on Windows Media player 7.0 or greater - or heck, getting a microbrain DVD decoder)

Get yourself Windows 2000 Professional.

13. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

as for compability- we tested WinXP (latest update pack) with my friend. We were able to run quite a lot of DOS games tht weren't possible on Win 9x. And if you are afraid of M$ spieing on you (and you should be) get yourelf a firewall (Zonae Alarm 2.84 [NOT 3.0])

As for Win2K - it's good as a work OS , but you won't be able to run a high percentage (~70%-80%) of games on it.
    Cheers!

14. CriticalCat Registered Member

I'm running a pirated copy of XP Professional (with the built-in spyware GONE).

You're right, it ISN'T secure. Microsoft released it with huge gaping holes in it, so if you want to run it, get used to clicking the "critical updates" icon a lot and running a firewall. It is, however the most stable OS Microsoft has released to date; ironically, the only reason I ever need to reboot... is to install a new damn critical update.

There is no one "best" OS. If you want broad compatibility with a certain amount of tweaking ability and don't prioritize security so much- or know how to install a heavy layer of firewall armor and take other precautions (like running Mozilla instead of Netscape or IE, refusing cookies, turning off Java and ActiveX, getting AdAware and running it frequently, etc. etc.) Windows is for you. If you really want a secure PC, run FreeBSD or Linux and suck up having minimal software. If you love doing stuff with multimedia and like having a user-friendly (but not tweaker-friendly) computer with an aesthetic sense, get a Mac.

Oh, and if it's running real slow for you... how old is your computer? I haven't noticed that problem at all in the upgrade. The only speed change I noticed was a dramatic reduction in boot time.

15. Joeman Eviiiiiiiil Clown Registered Senior Member

Windows XP blows. I reinstalled Win 98 SE

16. IrishGuevara32 Registered Member

I have XP home edition and iu find it grand for what i am doing, lots more than 98 i think perhaps its not great for ya'll but i find it better than ever. Have no problems

17. Cactus Jack Death Knight of Northrend Registered Senior Member

Windows ME is disgustingly bad. Seriously if you thought Microsoft sucked before, don't buy this version of Windows. Put it on my computer and made life a living hell now.

18. Joeman Eviiiiiiiil Clown Registered Senior Member

Never buy anything from microsoft. What is what CD burner is for.

19. Reid Registered Senior Member

Whats wrong with 3.0?

20. jjhlk Guest

I agree.

Windows XP is a terrible operating system, even by Microsoft's standards. The skinning feature was long overdue, and they package it with a horrible kindergarten skin. It is filled with gaping security holes, as usual. And Microsoft is slow to release bug fixes. Compatibility is the worst i've seen in Windows (except for NT 4 or lower). The spyware is the sort of thing you'd expect only from poor suckers trying to make another penny (which is strange since MS is probably the richest company in the US, and possibly the world). [End ranting]

Avatar, I have no idea what you are talking about! My experiance with XP compatibility was not good at all. I frequently encountered those pleasant "Your program crashed, but Microsoft wants to help! So send this bug report!" dialogs. The only game I haven't been able to get running under Windows 2000 Pro was Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2, and that was only because the server that hosted the Win2k patch went down.

Save some money, and some pride... Get Windows 2000 Pro for games, and Slackware Linux 8+ for everything else.

As for all you people proudly displaying your 'erreet warez puppy' crap.. I hope the feds bust you. 'nuff said.

Only good thing about XP is that it will get more people using the NT kernel (5.1 even!)

21. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

It took me and my friend two weeks to clean up all spyware, find some drivers, tweek os, edit registry, delete msn and all tht crap. lowered the size to 1gb. Now the system is extremely stable and we are very satisfied with it.

*there are no feds here

22. jjhlk Guest

It would require quite a lot of tweaking to fix Windows XP... would it be worth it??! Windows 2000 Pro only fails because it has the 5.0 kernel instead of the 5.1. I haven't had a problem after 2 years.

But really, I couldn't stand Windows XP over Windows 2000.. But I prefer Slackware running Blackbox anyways!

I used to be a warez pup, but then I was enlighted to the ways of the force.. the open source i mean.. Now I don't need to pirate stuff because it's all free. (although, i think its morally justafiable to pirate Spiderman, considering that the movie made so much cash right?? ahh so i'm a hipocrite)

23. Clarentavious Person Registered Senior Member

Geez, you missed the only advantage of Windows XP. I take it you are running Pro (or, on the slightest of possibilities, Home Edition)?

Windows XP 64-bit edition. Get a 64-bit file system (for those of you who don't know, Pro, Home, and Windows 2000; yes FAT-NTSS, are still only 32-bit). It will work well with AMD's Opteron processor, 64-bit (microsoft is supporting 64-bit instructions for it).

DOS programs aren't what it really has trouble with (since the last verions of DOS is built into all versions of Windows, I think it is 6.2, 8.3 or something - it's universal and backwards compatible there). It's things that were designed to run on Windows 95 and 98 Like video card drivers..........

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.