Lightning, thunder: Einstein's 'biggest blunder'?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Kaiduorkhon, Jul 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kaiduorkhon Registered Senior Member

Was Einstein right or wrong in saying: "If you can't explain it to your grandmother, you don't understand it"? "No space empty of field". 'Wavicles' = gravy over potatos or potatos under gravy: the ambivalence of particle and wave theory. The non-mathematical translation and reinstatement of Einstein's presently abandoned Unified Field Theory (The math is already done). The gravitational effects of the expansion of 4-D physical matter with 5 & 6-D space. Einstein's so called 'biggest blunder' was right after all. Mr. Mark McCutcheon's gravitational party is 47 years tardy. Electromagnetic resolution of quantum mechanics & field theory. Atonement of continuity with discontinuity. Two universal forces instead of four. Cause of time dilation, negative inertia and black holes. The original Extraterrestrial Physics 101. Return of the orphaned Steady State theory. The undoing of New Age era Einstein, Newton, gravity bashers.
    http://forums.delphiforums.com/EinsteinGroupie

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I don't think he was right. Some people are more intelligent and educated than others, and therefore they can understand things that the others can't, in their own discipline. The word "explain" doesn't mean much of anything if it doesn't require that the person to whom the explaining is performed understands the subject of the explanation when it's over.

My father and I were both pretty articulate guys who knew our way around a math book, and both of us were professional educators at some point in our lives. We both understood algebra so intuitively that we could also understand calculus. Yet in years and years of trying, we could not successfully explain algebra to my mother.

When I was in high school I read a 150-page book that explained the theory of relativity to what you would now call A.P. math students. It was one of the joys of my life, that for a few weeks I understood relativity. The author of that book was the World's Best Explainer and I would be honored to ever be half as good at explaining as he was.

But do you think my mother would have understood that explanation? Without understanding algebra? Just as importantly, would my mother have sat still for the time it took to read that explanation, or to listen to my father and me give it orally?

This speaks to a discussion currently taking place in GS&T, about why there are so many crackpots posting on SciForums. The members are dismayed by the fact that crackpot theories are so much more readily accepted than scientific theories, and one suggested reason is that scientists just aren't very good at explaining science, whereas crackpots are very good at explaining ... um ... crackpottery.

Of course they are, but the real reason is that crackpottery is easier to understand! Crackpots are generally laymen whose brains and language are not cluttered up with complicated scientific principles and reasoning, so of course they can explain it to their grandmothers! That's why their grandmothers read the National Inquirer instead of Science.

Scientists have years of education and experience, not to mention basic aptitude and interest, that gives them the ability to understand science. Their grandmothers don't have that so they naturally don't have the ability either.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

I could not help but laugh when I read this - it's SO true!!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Crackpots have the easiest 'job' on the face of the Earth. They aren't bound by the limits of science or any form of reality. They are forever making statements like, "This device uses the unlimited energy stored in a magnet" or "All the world's energy needs can be supplied simply by burning carbon dioxide."

Another related one that pops up every now and again is something like, " I (or he) has the advantage of not being a scientist and therefore hasn't been indoctrinated by all the conventional thoughts and teachings." Yep, got that one right! Someone who hasn't studied the basic principles is free to make any absurd claim whatsoever AND believe it's true.

It was said long ago that ignorance is bliss. Absolutely! It's very much alive and well AND blissful in crackpot land.

8. Kaiduorkhon Registered Senior Member

Dear Fraggle and Read Only:
    Your points are very well made and accomodated.
    On the other hand, Einstein was after all, making a qualified point.

Thanks for the explanatory - point making - responses.

Regards,
    - KO

9. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Perhaps Einstein could explain it to his Grandmother- Granny Einstein

10. Kojax Registered Member

It depends on how detailed an explanation you want to give. Most people can understand the basics of relativity. They couldn't successfully work out an equation to describe a relativistic interaction any better than they could work out an equation to describe an object falling under the force of gravity.

Still, we've all seen gravity in action, and basically understand it. Just that most people can't work the complicated mathematical equations to say exactly how far an object dropped from an airplane will have fallen in the course 2 seconds. They still understand it in principle, though.

Same goes for relativity. A math illiterate person can still understand the basics.

11. Kaiduorkhon Registered Senior Member

12. D H Some other guy Valued Senior Member

Mod hat: Thread closed and redirected.

Enough with the spam already!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.