Help Please-volume control problem

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by crazyfreespirit, Jul 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crazyfreespirit "Custom User Title" Registered Senior Member

Hi
    I've been searching for a solution to this volume problem for a while now, but to no avail. I've found others with a similar problem, but no solution. So here's the deal: I just got a new motherboard, and ever since I got it my volume control has been faulty. First of all, all sounds are very quiet, even when all volume sliders are set to maximum. Next the main volme control has no effect whatsoever on the volume of the computer. I can can slide it all the way to the top, or all the way to the bottom, nothing changes. The only thing that makes any difference is the Wave control and it barely does anything. Also, when I put "Mute all"...it doesn't mute. However when I put mute for Wave control, no sound comes out.
    All this is incredibly annoying because I often listen to music on my computer, but now I basically can't hear it. To note: I don't have a volume control on my keyboard, or on my speakers, and I know nothing is wrong with the speakers.

If anyone could help, or maybe direct me to where I could get help, I would really, really appreciate it. Thanks

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

You might try updating your audio driver...or your onboard audio might just be hosed. (technical term). What type of motherboard did you buy?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. kevinalm Registered Senior Member

I take it you're using the onboard sound hardware? Have you entered the bios to verify that it is enabled? Most onboard sound can be disabled in order to use a soundcard of your choice. This might cripple the onboard sound without shutting it down completely. Something to check anyway. Otherwise I would agree with a poor audio driver or defective hardware as MacGiver mentioned.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

You might have your speakers plugged into the wrong hole on the sound card.

8. brights Registered Senior Member

Try all these:

1. When installing drivers, always make sure you turn off your anti-virus software. It might block some processes while installation is in progress.

2. I assume you are using Windows XP? Go to control panel, then system, then hardware, then device manager, go to sound,video, and game controllers. If you find any question mark or cross mark, your installation is unsuccessful. Something must have blocked it when you installed your new drivers. Reinstall again.

3. You might be using your old driver from your old motherboard. You need to uninstall it, and then install the new drivers for your motherboard.

4. You might have plugged your speakers to the wrong socket. Most of the plugs and sockets are color coded now, so its easy to plug in. Usually it's pink for mic, light green for speakers, and light blue for line out.

5. Your soundcard might not be seated properly. Try seating it properly. If your soundcard is on the motherboard, then ignore this.

6. You might have forgotten to enable the on-board sound chip in the BIOS.

Hope this helps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.