An analogy for the world that the “loving” Christian God has created for us.

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Nasor, Jul 5, 2007.

1. Nasor Valued Senior Member

Suppose I place a large group of people in a big room. At random times different individuals will be removed from the room and either released or killed. Whether they are released or killed depends on whether or not they are wearing a blue hat – anyone wearing a blue hat gets a million dollars and gets to go free, anyone not wearing a blue hat dies. I add new people to the room at random intervals. I don't ask people before I put them in the room and I don't give them any instructions before sending them in. Since I’m not completely unreasonable, I enter the room with the first batch of people and leave a set of instructions in the room warning everyone about what will happen when they are taken out of the room, so that they will know to wear a blue hat at all times. I explain the situation to everyone who is currently there and tell them to be sure to let all the new arrivals know what’s going on. I also tell them that at some point I will stop the project and take everyone out at once, then shut things down and not add any more people. Then I leave and watch what happens.

I run the project for a while, constantly taking people out of the room to be released or killed and constantly adding new people to the room. As time goes by, some of the people in the room begin to make up their own sets of instructions – some people make instructions saying that in order to survive you should wear hats of a different color, some people say you shouldn’t wear hats at all, and some people say it doesn’t matter what color your hat is so long as you have one. People become very confused about what set of instructions to follow, and I don’t make any effort to get rid of the incorrect sets of instruction or stop people from making up new instructions. None of the original people are around any more, so new arrivals have to try their best to figure out what to do based on whatever they find in the room. It reaches the point where most people who are added to the room simply use whatever set of instructions they are handed first, although occasionally some people switch their hat color. Some of the people added to the room think it sounds pretty outlandish that I would bother setting up such a ridiculous system and conclude that either I don’t exist, or that perhaps I exist but all the sets of instructions that are lying around the room were probably just made up by the room’s previous occupants – after all, they can see some of the other people in the room making up new sets of instructions all the time.

So, here are my questions:

1. Would it be fair to characterize me as “good” or “loving” for operating such a system? Am I worthy of praise and devotion? After all, I am offering people a huge reward for successfully surviving the room, and I left clear, easy-to-follow instructions telling people to wear a blue hat. But I also don’t make any effort to eliminate the many fake sets of instructions that are floating around, and I'm constantly taking people out of the room and killing them simply because they happened to pick the wrong set of instructions.

2. Am I being “merciful” when I release people from the room that I placed them in?

3. Is it fair to say that the people who pick the wrong hat color or don’t wear any hat and thus are killed when they are taken out of the room are “choosing” to die?

Last edited: Jul 5, 2007
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. original sine Registered Senior Member

Interesting analogy.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

That "analogy" has nothing whatsoever to do with god or religion or faith.

Baron Max

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

I disagree. Sounds like a pretty good analogy to me.
    Care to tell us why you think that analogy has nothing whatsoever to do with god or religion or faith?

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/analogy

8. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

Yeah I liked the analogy as well.

Most people say if you didn't hear the "true" word of God then you get a free ticket to heaven. BUT if you hear the word and didn't follow then BADDA BOOM hell and lots of good sex for eternity for you

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

You forgot that to clarify the instrutions - occasionally the more schizophrenic or imaginative of the lot start hearing voices in their head that tell them you should kill the red hatted people, wear a blue condom and offer themselves to you.

MII

10. Nasor Valued Senior Member

Why, exactly? What's the problem with it? Did I leave something out? How could it be made more accurate?

11. Fugu-dono Scholar Of Shen Zhou Registered Senior Member

The red and blue pill? I'll face reality and lotsa indecent sex thanks. Anyhow that's a pretty good analogy of god's unconditional love for us TC. Hehe...

12. Celpha Fiael within reason, I am superman Registered Senior Member

It is a good analogy but it will pose no problem for the thoughful theist, unfortunately. Firstly, you would have to be assumed as "good" and praiseworthy because you set the standards for that, to you is everything else relative. You create these people (I assume this is what the analogy correlates to by placing them in the room), so you also create their sense of what is good and what is praiseworthy. Needless to say, you would define everything pertainting to yourself as "good", and the question of whether that is praiseworthy or not is a more interesting question I think.

Secondly, they will note that it was the people who created new sets of instructions; it was never the intent of the "creator", so they can be blamed. This would be reinforced by their idea of God actively being involved in even the thought life of the box's denizens, giving them a compass of sorts to navigate through the false colored hats. Your scenario paints the creator in a more deistic light, not a theistic one, that's all I mean.

Thought-provoking indeed, I hope someone can use it to question their unexamined beliefs.