Air compressor Engine for space.

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by Klippymitch, Jul 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Klippymitch Thinker Registered Senior Member

Space is a Vacuum but it is not a perfect vacuum, so if we made an efficient enough air compressor. We could compress outer space into a positive pressure giving the craft the ability of momentum.

I wonder how efficient it would be? It'll probably gain effiency has it gains momentum. The space it compresses will stay around the ships gravitational field. Giving the craft an even greater atmospheric pressure to push off of. Eventually the craft will create an atmospheric pressure that is pretty astounding.

Do you think eventually the atmospheric pressure around ship will hit a limit in what gains the craft will be able to create in speed? Kind of like trying to get a craft from earth to reach outer-space by just using air-compressors? The Atmospheric pressure of earth is 29.92 in. (760 mm) of mercury, 14.70 PSI. So if the atmosphere created around the craft reached 14.70 PSI. Would it calm down or would it continue to gain in speed?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Klippymitch Thinker Registered Senior Member

I just saw that the vacuum in space is very deep but what if we shot a gas around the ship for the ship to gain momentum and a greater gravity. Do you think the ship's starting gravity and air pumps around the ship creating a vacuum would be great enough to gain a strong gravity as to not lose the presssure's it created around itself?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Klippymitch Thinker Registered Senior Member

If the space around the ship stayed the same. and it kept all the atoms around it. Would it keeep gaining speed?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

I can't quite figure out what you have in mind. You'd never be able to create a gas envelope aound the ship (it would immediately disperse into space) and really wouldn't accomplish anything if you could do it.

The gas would be best used as mass for an ion drive - just like they did with the DS1 probe.

But back to your original topic - just what are you trying to do?

8. Klippymitch Thinker Registered Senior Member

Im trying to discover a new way of space propulsion.

If we cut the ship into sections(innner core and outer saucer. And have the outer-saucer spin with the proulsion of the gas. Then the ships total gravity would increase if we could get the outer disc to spin fast enough it might be able to create gravitational feild around the ship great enough to allow no escape.

9. Klippymitch Thinker Registered Senior Member

The outer disc contains the air compressors and also is used to spin the saucer. Becuase air compressors are vacuums too it could also help in keeping the gases around itself.

10. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

You cannot increase the gravity of a ship without increasing it's mass. Perhaps you're thinking of making artificial gravity inside through centrifugal force? But that does nothing for the ship itself in terms of the gravity it exhibits (which is VERY. VERY tiny anyway).

11. Klippymitch Thinker Registered Senior Member

Spinning an object creates speed. Speed equals more gravity.

12. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Sorry, but that makes no sense. As I said earlier, any gas put outside the ship will quickly dissappear into the empty space around it. Almost instantly!

13. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

No, it doesn't - unless you are talking about speeds very near to the speed of light and that's a result of increased mass. I honestly think you misunderstand centrifugal force.

14. Klippymitch Thinker Registered Senior Member

Air compressors first uses a vacuum and then compresses that space.

15. Klippymitch Thinker Registered Senior Member

If you make a whirl pool in water do stuff not get sucked in?

I dont see why an object cant do the same?

16. Klippymitch Thinker Registered Senior Member

I see all things having gravity and at the end it equals the objects total gravity.

Now the ship will have a total gravity equal to itself and the spinning of its outer disc and atmosphere it can keep around it. I dont see why the atoms of the ship dont also contribute to the total gravity. So the atoms spinning would create sort of a vacuum. Atoms make-up of the outer disc will hold on to the gas atom for so long but if it's spinning the next atom in line can pick up the gas atom that was lost by the atom next to it and so and so on. Creating a greater total gravity.

17. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

You cannot compress space.

18. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

As I've tried to explain to you, making something spin does NOT create gravity. Never has, never will.

19. Klippymitch Thinker Registered Senior Member

Technically you can.

You see outer-space is not a perfect vacuum. You can compress any space that is not a perfect vacuum.

But creating a compressor efficient enough to do so would be too hard.

That's why I suggested spinning the outer-saucer first and releasing the gas when the total gravity of the object becomes great enough.

20. Klippymitch Thinker Registered Senior Member

Where is this provened?

21. Klippymitch Thinker Registered Senior Member

What happens when you have air molecules moving around in a circle at high speeds?

22. Klippymitch Thinker Registered Senior Member

Cheesy link but here's proof.

Spinning does help to provide to an objects total gravity.

http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/martificialgravity.html

bad link I know, but Im too lazy to find a good one.

Edit:
    nevermind I think that link goes against me? I dont know I didnt fully read it when I posted it lol. it doesnt matter though Im stubborn and still beleive it adds to the total gravity of an object.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2007
  23. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

You can spin any object you wish as fast as you want - short of causing it to break apart and it won't increase it's gravity even the tinest bit. You'll never be able to find a reputable source that says it does. Sorry. Been watching too much science fiction, perhaps?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.