The Modern Cell Phone Epidemic

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by darksidZz, Jun 28, 2007.

?

Cell phones

Poll closed Jul 5, 2007.
  1. are useful in everyday life

76.9%
  2. are a burden + distraction in everyday life

30.8%
  3. create new social circles for people

7.7%
  4. limit new social circles for people

7.7%
  5. offer endless entertainment

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. offer annoying ring tones, videos, etc.

38.5%
  7. can be used to my advantage

53.8%
  8. can't be used to my advantage

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. are a waste of money

23.1%
  10. are a good use of money

38.5%
  11. make me happy

7.7%
  12. make me upset

15.4%
  13. give me a sense of purpose

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. give me a headache

15.4%
  15. make it hard meeting new people

7.7%
  16. make it easier meeting new people

7.7%
  17. will destroy society

7.7%
  18. have improved society

7.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

It's a multiple choice quiz kinda, you will inform us what you feel about cell phone usage today in the world. Afterwards please write 1 paragraph (aka 4 sentences you lazy ppl) and tell us your thoughts on them.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Its useful. Especially if you are stranded.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. phlogistician Banned Banned

Mine is a useful tool. For communication, but used sparingly. For entertainment (2Gb memory card and mp3's) For taking snaps (1.2MP camera) and video (320x240, 15fps) and as a PDA (mostly web browsing for information on the fly).

I think though age is the big factor wrt adoption. Older folks like myself have lived without them, so see casual utility in them. Young people have never been without one, and so have a different attitude, generally using them far more.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

LOL, don't have one. I don't like people THAT much. I don't even have an answering machine. If its that important, they can call back. Everyone knows the most important calls come in the middle of the night when you're in bed anyways.
    I think growing up with a deaf Mom, I got very attached to my quiet and serene world.

8. Gondolin Hell hath no fury like squid Registered Senior Member

I don't think they are a problem in the modern world, even though ring tones that consist of loud rap songs drive my crazy. I went through high school without having a phone, and operated just fine. The only reason I got one in the first place is because I went to college and needed a way to keep in touch with my family.

It sure as hell makes getting stranded in your car a not so harrowing experience.

Oh, and those bluetooth wireless ear thingies are dumb. 100% dumb. You people look crazy when you use them. I hope they give you huge wireless headset shaped tumor.

9. phonetic stroking my banjo Registered Senior Member

They're a relatively cheap and viable way of keeping in touch when you're away from home.

When BT made the minimum phone box charge 40p, it was even more justification.

Personally, I rarely carry one, but then I am a sad bastard with few mates.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Darkie fingers goats 4 fun.

10. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

i had a mobile for a long time and i never answered the stupid thing when it rang so i gave it to my son, and now i come home from work today to find that my darling husband has orederd me a new one, and i dare say i wont answer that one either, i hate them, they are a waste of money, ok i can see why they would be a good thing to use if your a driver and you break down but i am not so i dont need one!!

11. Fugu-dono Scholar Of Shen Zhou Registered Senior Member

I hate camera function in celly. They're practically useless. Never damn good quality even on the better phones. *sigh* That aside celly are useful only if you keep three. One for business, another for friends, and the last for flings.

12. phlogistician Banned Banned

There is a legal requirement to use handsfree equipment if talking on a cellphone in the UK, so Bluetooth headset are pretty standard fare.

People walking around wearing them however, are wankers.

13. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Why?

14. phlogistician Banned Banned

I meant to say 'while driving', sorry S.A.M.!

If you use a cellphone while driving you have to have a handsfree kit, as cellphone use has been shown to cause as many accidents as drink driving.

15. kenworth dude...**** it,lets go bowling Registered Senior Member

ken like.
    fuck poll.

16. sandy Banned Banned

You can snap pictures at crime scenes. Police have caught perps caught on camera phones.
    You can snap a pic of your fave music star at a concert.
    They're very convenient.

You can make your business calls in your car.
    You can call 911 to report stuff.
    You can be in touch with anyone without leaving your car.

I don't use them to chat with friends very often (only on the free nights and weekends.)

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

The new IPhone is awesome.

17. Gondolin Hell hath no fury like squid Registered Senior Member

Hmm... I wasn't aware of that. Is it for driving only, or talkin gin general. If it's talking in general, I don't see the point. But I can understand making them a requirement for driving.

I've caught myself multiple times answering somebody I thought was talking to me, only to end up looking like a huge fool.

18. oreodont I am God Registered Senior Member

We don't have one. Nothing against others being glued to one.

I am, however, amused, by this 'stranded' argument that many have. Especially those living in any area where another vehicle goes by more than once every half hour. Just how often is everyone breaking down in No-mans-land?

I'm thinking back over the last decade and we've had to pull over twice. Managed to survive without a cell phone to live another day. No need to have a cell phone when the next vehicle coming by these days probably has one.

Cell phones have their place...just not in my life. A friend told me they were in a grocery store check out line. Some lady was on the phone discussing getting a one or two liter bottle of milk. Must have been annoying like most cell users. One guy in the line said enough is enough and handed her a dollar and told her to get the two liter bottle. Everyone around cheered.

19. Gondolin Hell hath no fury like squid Registered Senior Member

My whole point of the stranded argument is that it is much safer to call someone than to flag someone down. Especially for a woman (no disrespect intended).

I've been stranded multiple times without a cellphone, I just find it easier and safer to get along with one.

20. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

I desire no cell phones to exist. I also would like to see a future place when time stops so I won't age / get hungary / think... yes... to stop thinking....

21. Fugu-dono Scholar Of Shen Zhou Registered Senior Member

I does however piss me of when people are not using hands-free kit when they want to talk while driving. It's like they're concentrating on holding their cell phone more than what's happeing around them. It terrible when these morons are in front of you when you're driving. How hard is it to get a damn hands-free kit!?

Last edited: Jun 30, 2007
  22. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

You're planning on invading?

23. fishtail Registered Senior Member

I have a Pdh 4720 with mbp5 ,adg, tri dig, aut hnd free, sp rec, mag cam
    rpm * 10 ,aut rec.