Beer on a stick

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Orleander, Jun 24, 2007.

1. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

OK, who would buy these? I might buy a Pina Colada or Margarita pop, but a beer one?? GAK!

McLEAN, Va. - It might be one of the great alcoholic innovations of the 21st century - the frozen beer pop, served by an Alexandria restaurateur and bar owner in a variety of sizes and flavors like "Raspbeer-y" and "fudgesicle."

The story of the frozen beer pop began last week at Rustico Restaurant, where executive chef Frank Morales began selling the frozen treats to customers looking for a more adult way to beat the heat.

After weeks of testing several hundred beer varieties to find flavors that taste good on a stick, Rustico finally settled on three flavors: "Raspbeer-y," made with a Belgian, fruit-style beer; "Plum," made from a Belgian Lambic brew; and the "Fudgesicle," made with a stout with bittersweet chocolate undertones. He plans to offer other flavors on a rotating basis.

The beer pops sell for $4 in the six-ounce size, shaped like a traditional Popsicle, and $6 for a larger "beer cone."

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

that sounds gross! wouldnt you prefer to have your beer in a pint glass?

i wouldnt buy one!

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

I'd love to try a beer popsicle, although I have a couple of questions:

A google search says grain alcohol freezes at around -117 Celsius (-175 Fahrenheit). Assuming someone wanted to make a real booze-sicle....

1. would the fact that the alcohol was diluted in other fluids bring the solution's overall freezing temperature closer to 30f? Is the freezing of solutions that contain ethanol scalar based on "proof" (IE - 6% content freezes at a higher temp than 12% content).

2. Would the alcohol remain stubborn to the point that a bottle of beer would (at best) become brownish-yellow ice with purified ethanol oozing out of it (until you froze it at -175f), or would the ice properly contain it?

3. Is it possible to eat a -175f popsicle without injury?

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. RubiksMaster Real eyes realize real lies Registered Senior Member

I once supercooled beer. We put a few bottles it in the freezer to cool down faster. We drank these after they cooled down, and then forgot about the rest (because by that time, the whole case in the fridge was cold).

Anyway, a few hours later I remembered the ones still in the freezer. I opened one, and it felt really cold. I poured it into a glass, and immediately it turned into slush! It was like drinking a beer slushy. It was still damn good though. The crystalline texture of it didn't affect the flavor at all.

I'm surprised that happened. It seems like carbonated beverages can't supercool.

I would like to try one of these beer pops. I think they sound pretty good.

8. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

At $4 each I can go buy a 6 pack of Mickeys.
    Can you imagine getting drunk on them? I'd either give myself a tongue sliver or gag myself with the stick.
    A whole new group of homeless people would emerge...stick suckers.

9. vslayer Registered Senior Member

domesticad om;

i think it would average out to have a freezing point of just above -5c

rubiksmaster;

ive done that too. i left 3 beers in the freezer overnight, 2 of them popped the caps off and made a mess everywhere, but one of them stayed intact, then instantly froze when the cap was removed.