Old Games on Windows XP?

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Tyler, Jun 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tyler Registered Senior Member

Okay, so I felt like playing SimCity again for the first time in a decade and found my old disc on Maxis. But when I put it in, this ominous message popped up:

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.

-------------------

So my question is - do I have any hope of running this CD on Windows XP? And if so, how?

Many thanks!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

Hmmmm....scratching chin

Here are two extremely wild guesses. I may be wrong

What happens if you run it in "compatibility mode"?
    Right click on the exe, click "compatibility", put a checkmark in the box that says "run in compatibility mode", click OK to apply it, and try again.

If that doesn't work, then what *could* be happening is that it doesn't like NTFS.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Running an Emulator like DOSBOX is one good way, however you could create a DOS bootdisk that runs entirely in memory if DOS programs are required. (Quarterdecks QUEMM use to be a decent way of rigging up DOS driver sets. However it should be noted that due to all the new hardware there is the possibility that true DOS drivers wouldn't be compatible and this is why it's best running things in a Compatibility mode)

If you can log into the Maxis Simcity website and create an account, you can actually place the original SimCity through a web-browser (For free).

8. neosethis Registered Member

haa excellent i just look about same thing for old games like the good old Eye of the beholders lol

9. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

Dosbox is quite a decent endeavour, I've tried a couple old games on it, absolutely no errors...never knew Simcity was available for DOS tho, I thought it debuted on the PC for Win95? Maybe I'm wrong

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

10. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Simcity was DOS, Simcity 2000 was also DOS although it ran on 95.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.