Both Muslim AND Christian?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by sandy, Jun 18, 2007.

1. sandy Banned Banned

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Its not impossible in Islam and I'm glad the Muslims in Seattle know enough about Islam to realise that.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. sandy Banned Banned

How is it not impossible? Muslims believe in their god, Allah. Christians believe in Jesus Christ.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

To be a Muslim all you need is a belief in one God and an acceptance that Mohammed was his messenger. If you accept Mohammed as a prophet but are a Christian or a Jew, essentially that makes you a Muslim. The Injeel (gospels) and the Torah are considered holy by Muslims. Jesus is another prophet for us. But Islam recognises that Christians ascribe divinity to Jesus. However they are still People of the Book, i.e. followers of the same God.

So according to Islam, it is not impossible to be a Christian and a Muslim at the same time.

8. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Wow, Sam, you've got a lot of wires crossed, ain't ya'? Jesus Christ is central to Christianity. His dying on the cross, and being resurrected is the centerpiece of Christianity. How could a Muslim possibly believe in that?

Baron Max

9. VitalOne Banned Banned

Muslims say that Jesus was just another messenger, like Moses or Joseph...nothing really that special about him...and that Mohummad was the last messenger from God so we should all follow him....but Muslims still accept Jesus (for the most part), just not as a God-man, and they also deny the crucifixion...

Christians say that Jesus is equal to God, and that Jesus is the truth, etc...

So I don't know how she can be both...

10. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

See post before yours

11. mybreathyourlung Registered Senior Member

Christians also believe in God. Who do you think Allah is? Or Yahweh?

"God" is just the three letter name you call the omnipotent being you believe in. Allah is the five letter name Musim's call their omnipotent being. But it's all the same omnipotent being. There can only be one; all faiths believe this, so it's the same thing by default.

Muslims also believe that Jesus was a prophet of Allah (God), Mohammed was simply God's last prophet.

The difference you're looking for is that Christians believe Jesus is their personal savior to enter heaven, Muslims do not believe this. They look to Allah (God) to be their savior. As do Christians.

The difference is that Christians have an intermediary (Jesus), Muslims and Jews do not.

Therefore, it is not impossible for this woman to believe that Jesus is her personal savior, while at the same time agreeing with the teachings of the Bible and the Qur'an.

12. sandy Banned Banned

Allah is not the same God of the Bible that Christians believe in. We believe in God (the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.) The trinity.

It is my understanding that the Koran/Allah says to convert/kill infidels and Muslims are to be martyrs. To kill in the name of God. Women are second class citizens.

My God of the New Testament (Jesus Christ) is not a killer. He is all about love and bringing people back to Him.

I still find it impossible to be both Christian and Muslim.

13. geeser Atheism:is non-prophet making Valued Senior Member

sandy: can you accept someone as agnostic?.

the old testament and the qu'ran are not disimular in their views regarding killing unbelievers or idolers and women, and in the new testament jesus says he agrees with the laws of the old testament!.

14. mybreathyourlung Registered Senior Member

He's right.

Allah IS the same God of the Bible. You and Muslims just view him differently.

15. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

But, Sam, one can't be a Christian without believing that Jesus was the son of god ...not just a prophet, but the son of god! Big, big difference!

And it has nothing to do with anyone being a prophet! Even if Christians believe that Mohammed was a prophet, without the belief in Jesus and the resurrection, the person isn't a Christian. Islam may think that it's the same god, but it ain't ...not be a long sight!

Baron Max

16. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

But without belief in Jesus as the son of god, and his resurrection, a person is not a Christian. And Muslims believe that there is no other prophet, much less a prophet who was the son of god(Allah).

Totally different concepts ....why can't y'all see that?

Baron Max

17. mybreathyourlung Registered Senior Member

No, I do agree with that. And if Muslims do not believe that Jesus died on the cross, then that is another major difference that can't congeal the two.

I think it is possible to believe in both religions, but you'd have to side with Christianity more as both religions are not a two way street.

18. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

No sandy, the Abrahamic god is the same one referred to by Christians, Muslims and Jews, they just vary in their descriptions.

But, that is no surprise that you would think so, considering that you've had a number of questions posed to you about your beliefs but were unable to answer. You should begin to realize that many here understand various religions a lot more than you understand your own religion.

The same goes for the Old Testament.

The bible demonstrates that the Abrahamic god is immoral and cruel.

Funny, I find it impossible to be either one.

19. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Perhaps but you are speaking from the Christian point of view. As you see the local Muslim chapter has no problem with her beliefs. :shrug:

20. Wisdom_Seeker Speaker of my truth Valued Senior Member

I accept Mohammed as a prophet, and I´m not muslim. I accept Jesus as a prophet, and I´m not Christian. I accept Buddha as a prophet, and I´m not Buddhist. I accept Krishna and Shiva as prophets and I´m not Hindu. I accept Mahavira as a prophet, and I´m not a Jainist.

God has different names, it doesn´t mean he is different for everyone. I only believe in 1 God, and is not the God of any of the Religions of beliefs I mentioned.

I believe in a God that cannot be mentioned...

21. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

prove that the christian god and muslum god are not one and the same. and if that is your under standing of the quran it is to say the least flawed. as a christian i belive that i must understand others faith to be a better christian so i have read portions of the quran and the hadiths and find it highly similar to christianty and judiasm the three are closely related. here are some links to quotes from the quran and the hadiths to show what i mean.

http://www.religioustolerance.org/isl_qura.htm
    http://www.religioustolerance.org/isl_hadi.htm

22. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Just goes to show that some people will accept any-fuckin'-thing!

But it don't prove nothin', Sam .....and certainly don't prove that a person can be both Christian and Muslim at the same time. The two religions are simply incompatible ...in belief as well as in practice.

Baron Max

23. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Prove that they are the same.

Baron Max