Evolution and Islamic Thought

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by S.A.M., Jun 13, 2007.

1. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Ibn Khaldun (1332-1406), proposed an evolutionary theory in which created life originated from minerals, evolved into plants, and then evolved into animals.

Ibn Khaldun wrote:

It should be known that we - May God guide you and us - notice that this world with all the created things in it has a certain order and a solid construction. It shows nexuses between causes and things caused, combinations of some parts of creation with others, and transformations of some existent things into others, in a pattern that is both remarkable and endless. ...Each one of the elements is prepared. It started out from minerals and progressed, in an ingenious, gradual manner, to plants and animals. The last stage of minerals is connected with the first stage of plants...The last stage of plants is connected with the first stage of animals. ... The word "connection" with regard to these created things means that the last stage of each group is fully prepared to become the first stage of the next group (Ibn Khaldun 1967: 194-5).

Ibn Khaldun is also one of the philosophers who suggested that humans evolved from apes:

The animal world then widens, its species become numerous, and in a gradual process of creation, it finally leads to man, who is able to think and to reflect. The higher stage of man is reached from the world of monkeys, in which both sagacity and perception are found, but has not reached the stage of actual reflection and thinking. At this point we come to the first stage of man after the world of monkeys. This is as far as our physical observation extends (Ibn Khaldun 1967: 195).

Al-Afghani (1839-1897), who initially opposed the theory of evolution, later accepted it, proposing that Muslim thinkers preceded Darwin in advocating the theory of evolution (Bezirgan 1972).

Comments?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. original sine Registered Senior Member

Comment: If the theory is of life originating from minerals and progressively evolving to modern-day humans, how does it relate to Islamic thought? Sure, it's a philosophical theory, but how does this relate to the metaphysics of Islam? Here's an old article I found in the archives. Relevant but not identical subject.

Evolution vs. Creation
    http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?t=2563

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Oh don't be difficult; everything to do with Muslims is religious, don't you know? /sarcasm.

To be serious though, I wanted to present a view point of how Muslims who were very religious viewed creation.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. original sine Registered Senior Member

I see. There is some miscommunication. Prior to your response I was unaware that Islam is vague on the subject of metaphysics, adaptable to our observations of the universe. There was no question you asked, only information you presented on the world view of Muslims in the past. If this were a question, my guess is that it would be: followers of Islam, what do you think about evolution?

Though I do think that everything to do with a Muslim is religious!

8. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Hmm. Most of the scholars and philosophers of the time were religious people, so their thinking was developed in a religious milieu. Ibn Khaldun for example, received a classical Arabic education and was educated on matters of the Quran and fiqh; he wanted to be known foremost as a historian so his philosophical musings are incidental to his other works. Hence, the Islamic thought.

9. Wisdom_Seeker Speaker of my truth Valued Senior Member

Buddha also said we should see God in everything. We should be able to love a rock. Because if you take in consideration that there is no time, then the rock becomes a Buddha, by evolution. The mountains, the rivers, the sky... boundless of time, its all God.