The National I.D card! good or bad??

Discussion in 'Politics' started by lucifers angel, Jun 10, 2007.

1. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

i am a supporter of say no to ID cards, i personally dont like them, i dont think they will help with terrorism, because there is always a way to fraud cards, anyway here is more about them:

The Bill outlines an identity system that has eight components
    The National Identification Register. Clause 1 of the Bill imposes an obligation on the Secretary of State to establish a central population register containing a wide range of details of every UK citizen and resident aged 16 and above.
    The code. Clause 2 (6) requires that every individual must be given a unique number.
    Biometrics. Clause 5 (5) requires individuals to submit to fingerprinting and “other” means of physical identification. This is likely to include electronic face scanning and iris recognition.
    The card. Clause 8 establishes the actual identity card, generated from and containing the information in the Register.
    Legal obligations. Clause 15 establishes a requirement to produce the card in order to obtain public services.
    Administrative convergence. The number and the card register are used by a variety of agencies and organisations as their administrative basis. 1 (5) permits the bringing together of all registration numbers (National Insurance, NHS etc) used by a person.
    Cross notification. Agencies will be required to notify each other of changes to a person's details. Clause 19 authorises the Secretary of State to disclose details from the register to other agencies without the consent of the individual.
    New crimes and penalties. The Bill establishes a large number of new crimes and offences to ensure that people comply with the ID requirements.

--------------------------

i personally will NOT carry one, i will go to jail before that happens, so what do you think of the card good idea bad idea??

http://www.no2id.net/

http://www.no2id-petition.net/

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Odin'Izm Procrastinator Registered Senior Member

Further steps towards the totallitarian world.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

I am in total opposition to these. They will serve no useful purpose. They will cost an excessive amount of money. They represent a gross invasion of privacy. They ignore the fact that governements are meant to work for us, not the other way round.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. §outh§tar is feeling caustic Registered Senior Member

If that was ever forcibly required of me, I should go to jail*. But I suppose there are always (less comfortable) avenues for naysayers.

*This being on the sole impulse that I don't want to and consider the idea an affront, not from any reasoned pretensions of surrender of privacy, etc. I understand these ideas (of individualism, privacy, etc) to be relatively new constructs and in no way the a priori fundamental and universal rights they are made out to be. A little historical feeling always tempers the fools mouth.

8. Odin'Izm Procrastinator Registered Senior Member

The technology is as new as the construct, the ideas would have developed sooner if such an invasion of personal privacy was availiable.

9. superstring01 Moderator

No to the national ID card.

~String

10. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

Will we have to fork out £££ to pay for them too?

11. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

yes we do! and i cant remember how much they will be but i know its a fair bit of money aswell

12. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

I think its a waste of money, because I cant see what it does that other existing forms of ID like passports and drving licences cant do. And this database sounds very dodgy.

13. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Don't you Brits have driver's licenses already? That's a form of id in the USA.

And what of credit cards that you carry now? That's another form of id.

And what of the license plates on your cars? Ahh, another form of id.

Baron Max

14. phlogistician Banned Banned

None of which you are compelled to carry, nor are compelled to produce on demand, while going around your lawful business.

This is the worry with ID cards. Criminals will not carry them while in commission of a crime, so there will have to be powers of detention to allow time to identify people for not carrying, and that change of law could be open to abuse.

15. phlogistician Banned Banned

ID Cards are smoke blowing out of the Home Secretaries arse.

Spain has ID cards, but they were subject to terrorism with the Madrid train bombing. ID cards would not have prevented the London Underground attacks in London either.

They will be costly to implement, and so far the Govt has been far from honest about the cost of the card. Why should we pay for something we don't want?

If the govt truly wanted to help keep it's citizens safe and healthy, the focus should be on healthcare; Issue an ID card that gave emergency crews access to our medical records at the roadside, and that identified us as EU citizens eligible for free healthcare in other EU countries so we didn't need the E-111 (or whatever the designation of that new card is) when we travel.

This would be of some value.

But an ID card with so a so far non-specific data schema? The govt are too scared to even tell us what data wil be on the card, and so far have not made it clear that any of the info will be directly beneficial to me as an individual (blood group, for instance), or society (donor card), let alone in the fight against the spectre of 'terrorism' (a field for 'known terrorist'? !!)

Anyway, it won't work. The govt completely fucked with the Child Support Agency computer system TWICE. They are just incapable to making a system that encompasses the entire population and making sure the records are accurate. Of course, accuracy is the lynchpin, ... I don't think anyone wants to inherit the criminal record of a previous resident of their address, or from someone with the same name elsewhere. But the latter boils down to that schema, and who has access to what parts of it. Things again the Govt are too scared or just incapable of claryfing at this point, despite these cards having been talked about for years.

16. Anti-Flag Pun intended Registered Senior Member

Nobody wants these things, but since when did the government care about it's people? Worse still we'll be expected to pay for them so what of poor people who can't afford one? What is it going to allow for anyway? Access to buildings based on fingerprint scans and then confirmed by the card? Because that's where this is going, being unable to move anywhere without being tracked, they already want to bug peoples cars too. All this allows for is a police state, where else could it be going? Britain will be just one small step away from the days of living in a Russian dictatorship or the like where people are removed from the streets or their houses at night. It's bad enough under labour but imagine this being implimented and then the BNP winning an election!
    This will never stop terrorism, but what else but lies and deception can be expected from the government that suggested Iraq had WMD's and then ignored it's own citizens protests.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Right now if I ever get a chance to leave Britain, I'm gone, before the seeds of a totalitarian government can fruit.

17. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

Look, Dave Blunkett says its OK, dont worry........

18. phonetic stroking my banjo Registered Senior Member

All hail Big Brother!

Fuck that for a laugh. They can whistle if they expect any money from me.

Passports and driving licences are already robbery. Why not let us use those? Most people already have one or both.

19. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

NOT a form of ID.

i know the cards have worked well in places like Belgium and France but i will not carry one, i will go to prison first!!

when they are introduced the police will be able to stop you in the street and ask to see it.

20. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

To which the appropriate response will be "The ID that I carry is on the tips of my fingers. do you want me to feel your balls officer? No? Well fuck off then."
    It does look, from several of the responses in here, that I shall have lots of company in prison if and when this goes through.

21. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Is this the same government that's paying for your children's care? And you won't even let them know who you are in return for that money?

Baron Max

22. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Why not. If the totalitarian world is really going to crush you, they'll do it anyway. This way they just save paperwork.

23. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

It's my ****ing money that's paying for his children's care and he can refuse to say who he is as often as he wishes.