Why Don't Islamic Men Wear the Hijab?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by PsychoticEpisode, Jun 10, 2007.

1. PsychoticEpisode It is very dry in here today Valued Senior Member

Just curious. Why are women singled out for veiling their faces. Why not men? Is the answer a sexist edict from Mohammed or Allah?

I think there are plenty of reasons to hide a woman's face but why not the mugs of Islamic men? Are women considered property and the veil a symbol of 'this one's taken'? Is the Hijab some kind of sin prevention measure or do some people wish not to be stared at.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

This is the rule of hijab in the Quran

Everything else is cultural

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. PsychoticEpisode It is very dry in here today Valued Senior Member

Where does it mention face?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

It doesn't.

8. PsychoticEpisode It is very dry in here today Valued Senior Member

Weren't Adam's kids of the male persuasion?

9. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Only if you believe its by asexual reproduction.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2007
  10. PsychoticEpisode It is very dry in here today Valued Senior Member

If it is not really designated as to who should wear what, is it unlawful for a woman not to wear the hijab? Is it personal choice? Could a man wear one if he wanted too?

11. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

It depends on the culture of the country and of course, personal choices made by people. In Turkey e.g. women who wear the hijab are forbidden from entering university and have been campaigning since 1923 for their right to wear it. In India, its driven by family values (even among non-Muslims); people tend to wear hijab or not based on education, social pressure, etc. I only wore a hijab in Saudi Arabia, because there it is illegal to not wear one (btw, hijab for non-Saudis in KSA is only restricted to covering hair). Saudi men also cover their hair and wear a full length garment, in essence I suppose you could call it hijab, if you wanted to think of it that way. I've never seen a Saudi man in shorts.

12. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

I would have thought it was the womens answer to a beard.

13. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Like flies to honey.

14. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Definition of the word hijab:

-Encyclopedia of Islam and the Muslim World by Macmillan Reference

15. PsychoticEpisode It is very dry in here today Valued Senior Member

Seeing how it covers the faces of many women it appears somewhat hygenic. Could the custom of wearing one come from a situation where veiled people once avoided an airborne disease epidemic?

Anyway, the fact that men as a rule don't wear a veil, mean that is consider feminine?

16. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I believe the Arabs adopted it from the Byzantine Christians in whom women of the upper classes were veiled.

But it is really useful in places like Saudi Arabia, for protection from sandstorms, glare and to prevent drying and sunburn. Many Arab women are very fair.

Men also cover their faces by twisting their headcovering (Ghutra, the red/white checkered scarf) over their faces and using the heavy circular Igal to keep it in place, in addition they also wear a Taqiyyah to cover their hair under the Ghutra

Igal

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Taqiyah

Plus most Saudi men also wear a Bisht ( a coat)

17. Carcano Valued Senior Member

I think the Koran has line or two about covering breasts, but not the face. So it would a later cultural development in that case...problably designed to hide your wife from the covetous glances of other men.

There is a tribe in North Africa where its the men who wear the veils, not the women. Cant remember their name, but it was in National Geographic years ago.

18. I had a Saudi friend in college, he said that that was a way to sneak into a womans' house to see their girlsfriends, & have oral sex, technical virgins still

19. Berbers from the Sahara

20. PsychoticEpisode It is very dry in here today Valued Senior Member

Got to give those Saudi guys credit. Wonder if the girls remove the hijab for those moments. Sounds kind of sensual. I tell ya, if sex was a religion we'd be at peace.

21. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

The girls don't wear the hijab at home; in fact you might be surprised to see what they do wear. Western clothing.

22. PsychoticEpisode It is very dry in here today Valued Senior Member

If the hormones are raging they could be wearing a suit of armor and it wouldn't matter. Still it wouldn't cause suspicion if someone arrived at your house wearing a hijab in Saudi Arabia. I'm starting to think that the younger Muslims are beginning to lose some of the tradition and its their parents generation that one has to worry about.

23. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

If you think this is something new, you must be new on this planet.