Pro Fetal Stem Cell Advocates Hit Hard

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Buffalo Roam, Jun 8, 2007.

1. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

Pro Fetal Stem Cell Advocates Hit Hard by the news that embryonic stem cells can be harvested from skin cells.

http://news.independent.co.uk/sci_tech/article2621828.ece

Stem cells 'could be made using normal skin tissue' - Independent ...
    Stem cells 'could be made using normal skin tissue'
    http://news.independent.co.uk/sci_tech/article2621828.ece
    Teams Mimic Stem Cells Using Skin Cells | Christianpost.com
    They got ordinary skin cells to behave like stem cells. If the ... ... Embryonic stem cells are prized because they can develop into all types of tissue. ...
    http://www.christianpost.com/article/20070606/27829_Teams_Mimic_Stem_Cells_Using_Skin_Cells.htm
    How to get stem cells from skin | Metro.co.uk
    Stem cells with the same properties as those taken from embryos can be created from ordinary skin tissue, scientists confirmed on Wednesday. ...
    http://www.metro.co.uk/news/article.html?in_article_id=52072&in_page_id=34
    Human embryonic stem cells in skin tissue engineering applications
    Human embryonic stem cells in skin tissue engineering applications. Engineered skin products have the potential to assist healing of severe burns and ...
    http://paleceklab.che.wisc.edu/hescs_skin.htm
    BBC NEWS | Health | Skin tests offer stem cell hope
    New experiments suggest stem cell research may be possible using skin patches ... It is hoped stem cells will one day be used to replace tissue damaged by ...
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/6727269.stm

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

"Hit hard?"

If there are methods of obtaining ESCs from skin cells with the same properties, its win win isnt it?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Its called spin; apparently it was the anti-embryonic stem cell brigade that "discovered" this "amazing fact".

Right?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Balerion Banned Banned

I doubt that the pro-stem cell research group will be disappointed by this. All anybody wants is science to not be hindered by personal beliefs. The stem cell advocates will be thrilled with this news, if it turns out to work for Humans, because it means that their cause is moving forward--to research stem cells.

8. Dark520 Rebuilt Registered Senior Member

How are we 'hit hard' by this? I don't give a rats ass how we get the stem cells (hence me not caring about them taking them from embryos), I just want 'em. Now we have a reason to say, alright government, give us our freaking funding; we won't take them from embryos anymore.

9. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

Dark520

Do you want to bet that this will end the push to use embryo stem cells? Embryonic stem cells, have always been available from umbical cords.
    There have been no viable treatments developed from embryonic stem cells, while there have been 73 treatments that have be developed from ASC, and the push has always been for more embryonic stem cell research.

Cord blood yields 'ethical' embryonic stem cells - sex - 18 August ...
    Hopes for treating disease with stem cells from umbilical cord blood has ... stem cells” or CBEs, are not quite as primitive as embryonic stem cells, ...
    http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn7864

Last edited: Jun 8, 2007
  10. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Do you even understand what Dark520 wrote?

11. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

Whats the problem here?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

12. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

samcdkey

I understand what the pro FSC research people have done, as I have pointed out FSC were and are available from umbilical cords, and the pro FSC people have continued to insist on using embryos for research. Do you understand what I posted?

13. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

And?

14. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

You are dense aren't you.

15. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I have no idea.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

16. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

Oh I get it. Pro FSC people dont really care about stem cells, they are bloody thirsty sons of bitches that want to rip human embryos apart because they hate God.

17. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

um yeah there are no viable treatment cause funding was cut off it can take over a decade to make a medical breakthrough perhaps longer. god you argument has to be one of the worst cases of circular reasoning i have ever seen and i have seen some bad ones

18. CharonZ Registered Senior Member

Just before this goes downhill all the way (although a bit late) I just wanted to add that these cells are reverted by the manipulation of transcription factors which in turn activate genes that revert the cells to a pluripotent state. At least one of these transcription factors is involved in cancer formation and also the method (using retroviruses) is not fail safe. At the moment this is exciting news but no replacement (as stated by the authors themselves). In addition, the actual breakthrough was not made initially by the US group alone but the foundations were laid by a group from Kyoto. The final studies were then published independently in the same journal by both (with minor twists each).

19. Repo Man Valued Senior Member

Ok Buffalo, now left over embryos from in vitro fertilization will only be disposed of as medical waste, rather than used for possibly life saving research. Yay for your side!

20. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Actually I heard today that embryonic stem cells are necessary even in understanding how skin cells can be manipulated. The Japanese scientist researching this has said that it would be a misunderstanding of the research to say that this new understanding eliminates the need to study fetal stem cells.

21. superstring01 Moderator

American super-christians are hampering American research advancement and helping our competitors [*] get an edge on us in a field that we have historically dominated by leaps and bounds.

~String

[* HA!! I just noticed your avatar spidergoat]