random parts

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by thecollage, Jun 6, 2007.

1. thecollage Registered Senior Member

i am welding random parts from electronics equipment together. i hope to have a new device just in time for the holidays. if you want to order now let me know and i will put you on the list of lucky people.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Athelwulf Rest in peace Kurt... Registered Senior Member

What will the device be? What will it do?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. vslayer Registered Senior Member

welding electronics together generally isnt a good idea. if you need to integrate circuitry into a large machine its best to do all the heavy fabrications befarehand then bolt any electronic parts on.

of course im not an expert when it comes to engineering, and there may be a suitable type of welder, but a mig welder will fry your circuits since you have to attach an earth to the chassis, and a gas welder will probably melt any circuit boards.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. leopold Valued Senior Member

yes, there is. they are called soldering irons, soldering guns, and soldering pencils.

8. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

......unless of course, by "random parts", he means that he will be frankensteining components together to create something electrically non-functional (like artwork or jewelry)

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. leopold Valued Senior Member

in that case the thread belongs in arts and culture.

10. vslayer Registered Senior Member

yes, but theyre not very practical when it comes to welding. i tried to solder up my exuast once...

11. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

You can't really just "Connect random parts" and then expect it to do something. With integrated circuitry, everything is designed to do a particular task and if you don't know that task chances are your just going to end up with an art exhibit, or worse case scenario the start of an "Accidental Fire".

I'm going to move this thread to Art & Culture because of the random welding, if you'd suggest that you were modifying something to do either a better task or alternatively a different task altogether then it might of stayed here.