Define Telepathy

Discussion in 'Pseudoscience Archive' started by Tnerb, Jun 3, 2007.

1. Tnerb Banned Banned

This thread is necessary.

I have instead decided to name this thread "Define Telepathy" instead of using the word 'defining", because it is very unlikely that we will be able to. So I guess I'm asking. I'm asking you to define telepathy. Can you possibly manage this?

The definations I have heard are too strict and un-understood... first, my dictionary says "Thoughts tranfered from one mind to the next" and the other is from dictionary.com, at least according to one person. I was told it is "Thoughts transfered from one mind to the next without the use of your sences"

As you can tell this final defination is not to be understood very well. Well, that is what we need, that is why I am starting this thread.

Think about the defination supplied from dictionary.com for a minute or two:
    What would you supposed to think?
    "Ok, so this means we can't use our sences to do what telepathy is"
    Does this statement make much sense to you?
    It doesn't to me....

Without use of sensory abilities, one would think that telepathy is something entirely else, however, how would thoughts be transmitted from one mind to the next without the use of our senses? Is that really what telepathy is? If so then it is nothing amazing or special, because it appears our senses are vital it.

What do you guys think?
    Define telepathy?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Odin'Izm Procrastinator Registered Senior Member

Defined: Bullshit.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

One cannot accurately define that which does not exist. It's an exercise in futility.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

Then how do we draw up plans, blueprints, invent things? Telepathy's still a load of old moonshine though.

8. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

I suppose that question was directed at me, right? In order to create things that didn't previously exist. And I agree about telepathy - not only does it not exist, it cannot be made to exist.

9. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

Yes, I was referring to this:
    My argument being basically: yes we can. I realise that it was probably just a throwaway comment, but I'm feeling pedantic.

10. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Don't sweat it, kid. Readarmy caught on but I didn't expect YOU to. Maybe someday in the future...

11. leopold Valued Senior Member

telepathy must exist.
    reasoning:
    we can record brain activity outside the skull.
    two people placing their heads in contact with each other can therefor transmit brain waves into the other persons brain.

12. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

That's highly doubtful, Leo. The signals are SO tiny that it takes very sensitive equipment to detect them. And I seriously doubt if the EM field extends more than a few millimeters from the skull. And if that's true, it would not make it into another brain even if the heads were pressed tightly together.

13. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

Full-Mental Nudity: The arrival of mind-reading machines

Years ago, Woody Allen used to joke that he'd been thrown out of college as a freshman for cheating on his metaphysics final. "I looked within the soul of the boy sitting next to me," he confessed.

Today, the joke is on us. Cameras follow your car, GPS tracks your cell phone, software monitors your Web surfing, X-rays explore your purse, and airport scanners see through your clothes. Now comes the final indignity: machines that look into your soul.

With the aid of functional magnetic resonance imaging, neuroscientists have been hard at work on Allen's fantasy. Under controlled conditions, they can tell from a brain scan which of two images you're looking at. They can tell whether you're thinking of a face, an animal, or a scene. They can even tell which finger you're about to move.

But those feats barely scratch the brain's surface. Any animal can perceive objects and move limbs. To plumb the soul, you need a metaphysician. John-Dylan Haynes, a brilliant researcher at Germany's Bernstein Center for Computational Neuroscience, is leading the way. His mission, according to the center, is to predict thoughts and behavior from fMRI scans.

Haynes, a former philosophy student, is going for the soul's jugular. He's trying to clarify the physical basis of free will. "Why do we shape intentions in this way or another way?" he wonders. "Your wishes, your desires, your goals, your plans—that's the core of your identity." The best place to look for that core is in the brain's medial prefrontal cortex, which, he points out, is "especially involved in the initiation of willed movements and their protection against interference"...

http://slate.com/id/2161936/

Last edited: Jun 13, 2007
  14. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Something MAY come of that but I seriously doubt that existabrent and others like him are carrying around MRI machines in their hip pockets!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

15. Tnerb Banned Banned

Read Only:

You must take me as a sick boy, that is what I am at the present, in a possible recovery, though.

Anyway. That is a good reason as to why I would not catch on!

Oh yes... I am tempted to get angry to show my potential, but instead want to say that you guys are talking history, and only I apparently have the actual present......

This was debated in another of the telepathy threads, although you guys and I of course are far to lazy to go check those things out, right?

Uh... Ok, fine, let me tell the story:

This guy sitting in a prison cell next to another guy in a cell. There is a chalk board in both cells. ... (all I am doing is repeating what was said in another thread. If you ask for proof perhaps later I will send that) Well... what happend, is the guy could read all his sensory output. He read what the guy was writing on the chalk board and drew it on his. This guy is good. But the guy (and you're probably going to say too) at the thread over there said that it is fancy tricks and schemes [thus the reason I ask for a DEFINATION of telepathy...] or whatKnot... Anyway, just to show that RedArmys post may have some truth to it, and bla bla bla as far as this is concerned bla bla bla...

I am no machine. I do not carry machines around. But i'm sure that they probably exist, and have the ability to pick such and such up, wh ich would prove telepathy (to you)...

Anyway, i'm done rambling and rambling.

Take the shit for what you make of it.

16. Tnerb Banned Banned

Lol. History, as I've said.

Here is how...

There are machines which can pick up on the mind rays. But first we need a defination of telepathy. And you are talking bullshit about, uh, the skulls not transmitting things. That's all I have to say about that.

17. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

"Mind rays?" LOL!!!

By machines? Brent, do you not know that the only types of equipment that can detect the electrical activity of the brain are EEG and MRI machines? And in neither case are they reading "rays." You might want to look both of them up and learn something.

18. Tnerb Banned Banned

Read only you are a retarded moron.

Aren't there machines which can pick up so called "telepathy"

You fall too easily.

19. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Look who is calling who what.

No, there are NOT any such machines! What ever gave you that silly idea ayway?

20. Tnerb Banned Banned

I am not the retarded moron here, ...

Aren't people able to prove telepathy exists? There have been MANY members who've said that, ya know?

21. Tnerb Banned Banned

Anyway, as I've said....

This will lead into a deeper discussion where we will be pulling posts from other threads....

DUH

22. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

No, no one has EVER conclusivly proved that telepathy exist. And many people say many things - that's certainly not proof of anything at all. You really ought to try doing just little outside research on different things rather than just accepting what "people" may say.

Here's just one little clue for you: the CIA tried using psi forces for years and years, espeically one called "remote viewing." They eventually gave it up as a worthless effort. Do you wonder why they stopped if it's so real?

23. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

the CIA and other government(s) organisation's never gave up on mind manipulating equipment. They merely don't report their findings or use since it would be in direct violation of The Universal Declaration of Human Rights, as well as borderline violations of The Nuremberg Code (For using Human test subjects without their consent).

The problem wasn't that it was impossible to insert auditory commands or manipulate visual hallucinations to the test subject (which of course on interpretation could manipulate an individuals course of action), the problem was in fact the Ethic's and Morality of misusing human subjects as both pawns in a cold war theatre or just an unsuspecting public having their rights slowly taken away from them with clandestine laws being made and the systems usage to enforce apathy through a police state. (To make sure that complaints are not heard or unified into action groups)

Actually its more likely that Presidents and certain people in military command didn't like the idea that equipment like that could "look over their shoulder", You imagine all the investigations into corruption that have previously stopped because of the lack of evidence. To have a system that could see right into a persons memory, to observe their activities during their participation of illicit activities would potentially undermine their seats in power, obviously they wouldn't want that.