Fluorescent lights

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by fishtail, Jun 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fishtail Registered Senior Member

They drive me nuts, i know it sounds crazy, it did to me but, even when i can not hear the sound it grates on my nerves, if i leave a room with fluorescent lighting into one with normal bulbs i am fine.
    Any one else the same or am i a one off?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

There's something wrong with the bulbs or the ballast if they make that noise. As far as I know, those old, noisy fluorescent fixtures and bulbs is a thing of the past ...some 20 years ago or so.

Baron Max

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. vslayer Registered Senior Member

all of the lights in my house are fluorescent, the newer model ones are 25% brighter than incandecent ones and dont make any sound at all.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

How are they 25% brighter? And brighter than what comparison incand?

All of my lights are fluor, too, but the actual light output is not as bright as the same wattage incand. What kind of fluor do you own? And remember, the comparison must be the same standards. I.e., a 100 watt fluor is NOT as bright as a 100 watt incand.

Baron Max

8. fishtail Registered Senior Member

Hmmm, well i can sure hear a low hum, and the lights are quite new, 5 yrs old max.

9. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Yeah, ballast or old bulbs ...that's for sure. Five years is a good life for a ballast or bulb, so you shouldn't complain too much.

To check the ballast, just replace the existing bulbs with new ones and if the sound is still there, the ballast is shot. And unfortunately, that means buying a whole new fixture ...cause a new ballast, if you can find one, cost more than the whole fixture would cost.

Baron Max

10. phlogistician Banned Banned

Max, you perhaps think that your hearing isn't as good at it used to be? I can hear the hum from fluorescent tubes too, so don't have any in my house. OK, old and worn ones are worse, but modern quieter ones still make a noise. I had one in the light in my hallway, and as I walk down the stairs and get level with it, I could hear it.

11. desi Valued Senior Member

I worked for a few years with fluorescent bulbs and I'm convinced it drove me nuts. Change jobs in your field. Just apply to other places on condition of anonymity.

12. thecollage Registered Senior Member

yeah well maybe you should just stay out of that room then. at least that would cut down on your complaining.

13. Carcano Valued Senior Member

Its important to get the right colour temperature fluorescents. I only use the 'soft white' bulbs in my place.

The soft whites will give the same kind of warm light you get from an incandecent...with only a quarter of the electricity. I use 26 watt bulbs that give off 1700 lumens - about the same as a 100 watt incandescent.

They do take about 30 seconds to reach max brightness however...the mercury inside needs time to vaporize.

14. vslayer Registered Senior Member

actually, a 100w fluorescent light would be far brighter than a 100w incandescent. all of my bulbs are 24w fluorescent, and they are 15-20% brighter than a standard 100w incansdescent bulb. the only downside is that they take a minute or two to warm up before they run at full capacity.

15. RickyH Valued Senior Member

My plants are heated by fluorescent lights, my hearing sucks, and i live through it buddy.

16. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

stay away from this lighting it makes you look like shit.......women need soft lighting......and us old women need candlelight lol

17. phlogistician Banned Banned

As usual Max talks out of his nethers. Low energy bulbs are fluorescent, and use less power per lumen than incandescent bulbs. And yes, 100w incandescent is about equivalent to 20w low energy fluorescent, so your 24W bulbs have them beat.

18. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

Or pitch black, preferably......

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

19. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

my fav...shit i figured out who i am.......a vampire.....where was that thread.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.