Im new, but i need to no somthink?

Discussion in 'Pseudoscience Archive' started by bulli, May 30, 2007.

1. bulli Registered Member

Hi guys, im new to these forums and thought id drop by and ask a few questions.
    Somethink really strange happened to me last night.
    me and my girlfriend were just nodding of, as always im the last. i can never seem to sleep.

but anyway. as i was closing my eyes, i herd a noise. the noise was the sort of noise you get when you turn a telly on, and you hear all the electrics working, you no the hi pitched you can hardly hear it sort of noise. anyway
    i heard that so i immediatly thought id turned the telly on by accident.
    the noise kept on getting louder and louder until it was unbearable and i tried to cover my ears. here comes the wierd part. when i tried to cover them, i couldnt move what so ever. it was like my hole body was frozzen. i tried to shout to my girlfriend, but my lips wouldnt open either. then the noise died down and my body just loosened up again.

it probly sounds like a load of bolloxs and you all think i was dreaming, but i can asure you i wasnt dreaming and this has really freeked me out. ive never been so scared.

so if any of you have had this expirence please tell me, so i no im not the only one.

Cheers guys

Lee

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

This sounds like something called "sleep paralysis". It's actually quite common.

When you dream, your brain shuts down control of your body, so you don't act out your dreams. That means your body is paralysed. But sometimes, the system goes wrong, and you can be semi-awake and yet unable to move. Usually the paralysis lasts for a few moments, but it can be fairly terrifying at the time.

I think what probably happened to you was this: The loud noise you heard was actually probably a dream. You were on the verge of falling asleep. So you were in a kind of semi-sleep state, and you started dreaming. Your brain put your body into sleep paralysis. Somewhere in all of this you kind of half woke up, realised that you were paralysed, and felt panicky as a result.

What do you think?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. bulli Registered Member

Yes that seems pretty bang on. i was really panicing, my breathing was so heavy it woke my girlfriend. hhhmm its so strange how the body works. but thanks for the feedback. just out of curiosity, is there any more views on this.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

James is quite correct and there is a component that can be expanded upon. With sleep paralysis in particular, it is quite normal to also experience hypnopompic hallucionation. It is a natural type of human hallucination whose content can affect any / all the senses and gets superimposed upon normal sensory experience.

8. heliocentric Registered Senior Member

yeah sounds like the onset of complete body paralysis, interestingly people who take strong hallucinogens (such as dmt) get that same odd ringing/static sound as well.
    Apparently its a very particular sort of noise, and you dont forget it once youve heard it.
    Its almost like a calling card for some sort of shift in consciosuness/awareness.

9. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

Ringing, buzzing, thumping, etc. are all common sound effects. I've even had the privilege of experiencing hissing with a 3 note synthesized chord playing simultaneously.

10. heliocentric Registered Senior Member

Wild crunchy, ive had some pretty 'out-of-world' experiences, but havent ever experienced the classic ringing/hissing effect as of yet.

11. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

The sound of a metaphysical modem?

12. bulli Registered Member

that bit about the modem sounds bangon. i never thought of it sounding like that. but yes, its very hi pitched and just a horrible noise.
    whats the chances of this happening to me again. ive been reading about out of body experiances durring sleep paralysis and is sounds pretty freeky.

cheers

Lee

13. Exploradora Registered Senior Member

If this is the first time it's happened I wouldn't worry. Were you at all sleep deprived when it happened? Getting enough sleep, reducing stress, and other good health hygiene should help prevent it. There is also some evidence that sleeping on your stomach or your side may help prevent it. The only concern might be that you have a more serious sleep disorder, but short of any other symptoms (ie: spontaneously falling asleep, feeling very tired when you wake up, etc) it appears unlikely.

If it continues you should speak with your doctor. They may be able to prescribe a medication as well as screen you for other sleep disorders.

14. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

I don't know how common the hissing is, but the ringing is definately classic.

15. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

What are the chances of experiencing sleep paralysis with hallcination again? I would speculate close to 100%. It is completely normal and I wouldn't worry about OOBE's too much... all evidence points to it just being hallucinatory.

Last edited: May 31, 2007
  16. draqon Banned Banned

this is like Stephen Hawking's nighttime story here...