Zero Dimension

Discussion in 'Pseudoscience Archive' started by Mickmeister, May 17, 2007.

1. Mickmeister Registered Senior Member

I was curios about the zero dimension and so I googled it. I was only able to find this on the topic. Anyone else have any info?

That link says that the zero dimension is associated only with time and not space.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

It looks fascinating, I'm afraid I've no data concerning it :shrug:

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

The zero dimension has no "size" to speak of.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Three dimensions is our "normal" space.
    Two dimensions is a plane "Flatland".
    One dimension is a "line-world".
    Zero dimension is "point-world", where everything happens in the same place.

8. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

Mick---when the article you linked to says "The point exists in time only", I think it means "at exactly one place in space-time".

So, for example, consider this point --> .

The point is a point in space, but not a point in space-time. In space-time it is a line because it has a beginning (namely 12:52 AM EST) and exists continually untill this thread is deleted.

If it were truly a point, it could only flash into existence and disappear, never to be heard from again.

Am I confusing, or did that make sense?

9. temur man of no words Registered Senior Member

Yeah, your point will also be copied many times and displayed on many monitors around the world. So the point I am seeeing is not the point you are seeing.

10. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

Well, fair enough. But that's analytically continuing the analogy outside of it's radius of convergence.

11. Mickmeister Registered Senior Member

I did find out that Baire Space and Cantor Space both are theorems in zero dimensions. I am assuming that I have read these correctly by assuming they are referring to the zero dimension as being a "universe" unto itself...infinite points within a point?

12. funkstar ratsknuf Valued Senior Member

Heh! Geeky, yet fun.

13. temur man of no words Registered Senior Member

I have been overlooking this: a zero dimensional object is not just one point, but can be infinitely many points, as long as the points do not make up continuum.

14. Jozen-Bo The Wheel Spinning King!!! Registered Senior Member

Nicely said-"Zero dimension is "point-world", where everything happens in the same place."

Another view point on the pointlessness of dimension of 0 that I have been projecting for some time is that 0=1=Infinity. Outside of relative math (where 1 and 0 are not the same), in their actuality they are no different. Nothing is a Singularity of Infinity-absolute and not relative. Not only did everything happen at the same place...nowhere...and at the same time...timeless. And because it is timeless it is still happening now, it never started and defies sequence of change. For example, this writing of mine was already here before I wrote it. Another example: We are on a wave of reality where u just read this. Behind and on front of this wave is another wave where another life sits in a body no different then our own, another you that isn't your life here now is reading this there...again and again and again. It never started and it never ends.

So so...I have so much to do!!!!

Lots of fun,
    Jozen-Bo

15. Fabio4all Registered Member

I've thought about this before, the 'zero-eth' dimension is just an infetesimal point. It has no area, length, width, or any value of which to measure it by. Points cannot extend as things of higher dimensions can (ie a line can get bigger, but only in it's one dimension, length. A square can get bigger, but only in it's two dimensions, length and width) the important thing to think about when thinking about lower dimensions is that they all have set-amount of values that describe the object relative to space. A line is called one dimensional because you can only measure it with one thing, length. So, a point has no measurements possible, all of them equal zero. Compare this to a line, all but one measurement is zero, and that is it's length. If you still don't have a good understanding, try this. Take a cube, three-dimensional, that is to say that you can measure it in three ways, height, length, and width. Reduce it's height value to zero, and what do you get? A square. Take the square's width and reduce it to zero, and you get a line. The four lines that make up a square all go into that one line, because since it has no width, four lines still have no length. You could put infinite lines next to each other and it would still be a line. 0+0+0+0...= 0 no matter how many times you add it. if it had a finite width, it would be a square, and you would get a result if you added them together. so, a point just shows a point in space, you could stack infinity of them together and you would still just have a point.

16. Steve100 O͓͍̯̬̯̙͈̟̥̳̩͒̆̿ͬ̑̀̓̿͋ͬ ̙̳ͅ ̫̪̳͔O Valued Senior Member

It seems pretty obvious to me that anything in 0 dimensions is an infinitely small singularity.
    ie. nothing at all.

17. MSTinPA Registered Member

"It seems pretty obvious to me that anything in 0 dimensions is an infinitely small singularity.
    ie. nothing at all. "

Or perhaps everything.

18. Reiku Banned Banned

And in four dimensions, is the ''curved world...''

Where matter curves into space and time, existing as spacial and temporal distortions. A four dimensional object looks warped and distorted. A golf ball for instance would be pulled out at the side, and elongated like a tick tack.

In five dimensions, objects oscillate from being microscopic and macroscopic. A person travelling freely through the fifth dimension would find themselves shrunk to the size of a superstring and then back to normal again. And more interestingly, if you did try and move anywhere, you would find yourself ending up exactly where you had started.

In a sixth dimension, things can operate quite normally, as you would expect in our own universe.. but baby universes can exist in this dimension.

Last edited: May 2, 2008
  19. AlphaNumeric Fully ionized Registered Senior Member

As usual Reiku, complete nonsense.

4, 5, 6, 1000, 100000000000000, 48284828381284381274758693010493 dimensions, they can be flat or curved or compact like Calabi Yaus or whatever. There is no pre-defined properties of space just because it's got a certain number of dimensions.

4 dimensional Euclidean space is flat. 4 dimensional AdS space is curved. \(S^{4}\) is curved in a different way.

You are just making up nonsense. Again.

20. Reiku Banned Banned

Well i know that.

I was stating that four dimensions in relativity entices a curved world. They say the time is curved and warped by matter, as much as there is a back reaction. Suffice to say, what i said may have been misleading since their can be any curvature in any dimension as you mentioned... but i was primarilly talking about the most accepted model of spacetime there is.

This is what i meant, and you as usually try and make mountains out of molehills.

edit

But that is why i called it a curved world in four dimensions...

21. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Last edited: May 2, 2008
  22. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Not only does it happen at the same place but at the same time as well.

23. EmmZ It's an animal thing Registered Senior Member

This is a little confusing but I'd really like to understand it a little more. If this 0 dimension were to exist, as stated by Ben, in that
    Would that not bring that phenomenon out of the 0 dimension by it existing for that singular moment? And, if that moment could be measured, would one also be able to amplify that thus creating something more than it's perceived moment? It seems like 0 dimension is nothing more than a nominal "what if", just like zero itself. How can you conceive nothing if it doesn't exist?