For those of you interested in a serious debate

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Varda, May 15, 2007.

1. Varda The Bug Lady Valued Senior Member

"Is Christianity Good for the World?"
    Christopher Hitchens and Douglas Wilson debate.

Rarely have I seen a debate on religion of such quality.

There are currently 3 posts avaliable on the website. There is also a short description of both participants, for those of you who don't know who they are.

http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2007/mayweb-only/119-12.0.html

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. IceAgeCivilizations Banned Banned

I would love to debate Hitchens, can you arrange it?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

Yep. You'll send him cryin' straight to his dressing room with your eloquent one-line masterpieces.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. IceAgeCivilizations Banned Banned

He wouldn't know what hit him.

8. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

I am posting in this so I can find the thread later, when I have a chance to read the debate.

9. IceAgeCivilizations Banned Banned

We haven't booked it yet.

10. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

LOL
    Not YOUR debate.
    I've seen YOU debate - I have no interest in watching that spectacle. I feel bad for Hitchens.
    I know he can't handle you.

11. IceAgeCivilizations Banned Banned

12. kenworth dude...**** it,lets go bowling Registered Senior Member

13. Varda The Bug Lady Valued Senior Member

here's my favourite part of post 1

14. IceAgeCivilizations Banned Banned

We follow Christ, not men, first of all, and to say that any man knows all God's detailed wishes is foolish. We revere what is written in the Bible, which has not changed for millenia, and has been the primary roadmap for archaology in the Middle East in modern times, so there is good reason to see the Bible as accurate history, and so, it is the manual for Christians, we repeat what is written for instruction, we don't make stuff up expediently, as Hitchens is doing.

15. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

You're saying that today's King James bible has NOT changed ONE BIT since the original Hebrew/Aramaic/Greek bible?? Pfft. Please.

16. IceAgeCivilizations Banned Banned

Not in anything remotely essential.

17. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

There's that part about Jesus' mother Mary being a virgin, when actually it is properly translated "young girl".

18. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

M*W: First of all, men wrote the bible, so you follow men. King James was strange, even at his best. Some historians say he was homosexual, but all historians say he had his version of the bible written according to his own vision. In other words, it was not copied word for word.

The problem with any version of the bible is that much has been lost in translation (again, done by men). The KJV has more than 3,000 errors compared to the originals (if there were any to be found).

The unfortunate thing about the bible is that all the translations that exist today didn't come from any originals. They are exponential copies of copies.

All the horrible events in the bible could be explained in many ways other than the way they were written (by man). The only way to logically interpret the bible, especially the NT, is astro-theologically. Don't get me wrong. It's still myth, but that's the only way it makes sense.

19. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

MW,

IAC knows this. It has been discussed to ashes and dust; everyone and their mother knows it. Even a lot of Christians know that there has been some scripture lost in translation; there are even books that were omitted, by men, yet he still will not accept/acknowledge it. Can't we just treat him like a bratty, needy little kid vying for attention; by ignoring him?

20. IceAgeCivilizations Banned Banned

You can't, 'cause people just love to talk about the Bible, have you noticed?

21. Liege-Killer Not as violent as it sounds Registered Senior Member

Looks like a certain someone neglected to read the thread title before posting.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

22. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

M*W: Good advice. I guess in a way I sort of felt sorry for the guy. I see him as a lonely old man who is desperately trying to get a little bit of attention, but he doesn't know how. All he knows is how to scrape a few words together which most of the time make no sense whatever. Not only does he not know how to debate, he can't even carry a brief conversation of more than a handful of simple words. I even question his ability to read coherently, so his bible reading probably never occurs. By believing what has been spoon fed to him, he doesn't have to do any work at all... not even read, just blindly believe. IAC sure has a lot of posts for having said nothing.

23. Varda The Bug Lady Valued Senior Member

It would be interesting if people would read the debate and comment on it