Evolution debunked?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by ggazoo, May 14, 2007.

1. ggazoo Registered Senior Member

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

Ggazoo, evolution is a theory that best fits the facts as we have discovered them . Without going thru that entire comic (that puts anyone who does not subscribe to christian rhetoric in an extremely bad light), even IF evolution is wholly misguided, this does not lend any credibility to any biblical claims as the comic (published on a biblical site) would seem to allude to.

The comic is a marketing scheme designed to perpetuate the fear that religions continue to stir in humans to pursuade loyalty and blind faith.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Liege-Killer Not as violent as it sounds Registered Senior Member

Typical creationist distortion and delusion.

I don't know which was more despicable -- the inaccuracies about evolution, or the caricature of the ranting pro-evolution teacher.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Nasor Valued Senior Member

It’s just more of the typical anti-intellectualism that’s so common among fundamentalist Christians.

8. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

I like the statement that "proves" gluons don't exist: no-one has seen or measured them.
    And that would apply also to... guesses anyone?

9. IceAgeCivilizations Banned Banned

Some of the greatest scientists in history were Christians.

10. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

And that statement, in and of itself, would indicate some weren't. The point?

11. superstring01 Moderator

No doubt, but Christianity was the defacto ideology of the time... to claim anything different, at best, earned one a rat infested jail cell, and at worst, a torturous death.

If they were alive now, do you think they'd claim to be Christians? I can't say, but my hunch is, no.

~String

12. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

13. IceAgeCivilizations Banned Banned

Catholics were the coercers, not the Protestants.

14. IceAgeCivilizations Banned Banned

Some of the greatest scientific minds in history have been Christian, it's a fact of history, that's the way it is.

15. Nasor Valued Senior Member

Yeah, if you want to look back over the last 500. Today, most of the best scientists are atheists. Also, you'll note that I said fundamentalist Christians. Can you name any great scientists who were fundamentalist?

16. IceAgeCivilizations Banned Banned

They believed the Bible, is that "fundamentalist?"

There are many Christians in the hard sciences, where the rubber meets the road.

17. Nasor Valued Senior Member

By "Fundamentalism" I was referring to the protestant religious movement that began in North America early in the 20th century. Were you really too stupid to realize this, or are you just hoping to stretch the term "fundamentalist" to fit the great scientists of the 18th century?
    About 60% of scientists are atheists. Among eminent scientists, the number is closer to 90%. I don't have any statistics handy for fundamentalism specifically, but I would bet any amount of money that only a very, very tiny percentage of practicing scientists are fundamentalist Christians.

If you don’t believe that modern fundamentalism is strongly anti-intellectual, then you are clearly very out of touch with modern fundamentalism.

18. IceAgeCivilizations Banned Banned

Hey Nasor, what supposedly made the North American Christians of the 20th century different from those of the 18th century?

19. IceAgeCivilizations Banned Banned

Oh Nasor, there are millions of Christians in the sciences, get a grip.

20. Nasor Valued Senior Member

If you really aren’t familiar with the rise of the Fundamentalist Christian movement in North America in the early 20th century, all I can do is suggest that you go out and read a history book.

I never disputed this. But it doesn't change the fact that:

1) While there are many scientists who are Christian, the percentage of scientists who are Christian is far lower than the percentage of the general population that is Christian.

2) The best scientists of today - the ones who win Nobel prizes and are admitted to the national academy of science - are overwhelmingly atheist.

21. IceAgeCivilizations Banned Banned

What role does their Atheism play in such high accolades?

22. Nasor Valued Senior Member

I don't know.

23. wsionynw Master Queef Valued Senior Member

A pretty good case, one that would stand up in court no doubt.
    Erm.....or not.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!