A NEW and Improved thread about Creation Literalism

Discussion in 'Pseudoscience Archive' started by one_raven, May 10, 2007.

1. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Do you think the Creation account in the Bible is a literal account of the dawn of mankind?

I don't.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Which account? ...but no.

Here's another interesting account:

THE STONE TABLET IN THE TEMPLE OF LÂO-DZE. BY HSIEH TÂO-HÄNG OF THE SUI DYNASTY

After the Thâi Ki (or Primal Ether) commenced its action, the earliest period of time began to be unfolded.

The curtain of the sky was displayed, and the sun and moon were suspended in it; the four-cornered earth was established, and the mountains and streams found their places in it. Then the subtle influences (of the Ether) operated like the heaving of the breath, now subsiding and again expanding; the work of production went on in its seasons above and below; all things were formed as from materials, and were matured and maintained. There were the (multitudes of the) people; there were their rulers and superiors.

As to the august sovereigns of the highest antiquity, living as in nests on trees in summer, and in caves in winter, silently and spirit-like they exercised their wisdom. Dwelling like quails, and drinking (the rain and dew) like newly-hatched birds, they had their great ceremonies like the great terms of heaven and earth, not requiring to be regulated by the dishes and stands; and (also) their great music corresponding to the common harmonies of heaven and earth, not needing the guidance of bells and drums.

By and by there came the loss of the Tâo, when its Characteristics took its place. They in their turn were lost, and then came Benevolence. Under the Sovereigns and Kings that followed, now more slowly and anon more rapidly, the manners of the people, from being good and simple, became bad and mean. Thereupon came the Literati and the Mohists with their confused contentions; names and

rules were everywhere diffused. The 300 rules 1 of ceremony could not control men's natures; the 3000 rules 1 of punishment were not sufficient to put a stop to their treacherous villanies. But he who knows how to cleanse the current of a stream begins by clearing out its source, and he who would straighten the end of a process must commence with making its beginning correct. Is not the Great Tâo the Grand Source and the Grand Origin of all things?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

I honestly don't think there is any reason to believe there is more than one creation account in the Tanakh, and haven't been convinced otherwise yet.
    (I honestly would like to believe because I am drawn to the concept of Lilith, but I remain unconvinced)

Care to take a crack at it?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

The second one starts:

Gen 2:4 These are the generations of the heaven and the earth when they were made.
    Gen 2:5 In the day when the Lord God made earth and heaven there were no plants of the field on the earth, and no grass had come up: for the Lord God had not sent rain on the earth and there was no man to do work on the land.
    Gen 2:6 But a mist went up from the earth, watering all the face of the land.
    Gen 2:7 And the Lord God made man from the dust of the earth, breathing into him the breath of life: and man became a living soul.
    Gen 2:8 And the Lord God made a garden in the east, in Eden; and there he put the man whom he had made.

8. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

I've read the Bible.
    Is that all you have?
    What makes you think this is a distinct and seperate account of creation?

9. fishtail Registered Senior Member

Where would man be standing whilst witnessing creation?

10. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

In the trees, looking down at his cousin.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. fishtail Registered Senior Member

Substitute (Lord God) for Nick Park and this would make a great animation.