What's the Easiest Way to Convert Someone?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by PsychoticEpisode, May 8, 2007.

1. PsychoticEpisode It is very dry in here today Valued Senior Member

Screw a poll. I can't be bothered.

Whatever religion you are now, how do you get someone to easily convert? Read scriptures, marry, bribe with sex perhaps, pay, force, terrorize, blackmail, promise, brainwash, threaten, music, lie, truth, or what really works? Surely some of our religious friends have successfully converted someone or have been converted themselves in their lifetime.

What factors if any are taken into account first? Is there a certain kind of person you're looking for such as a youthful or depressed? How is the distinction made between a possible and impossible convert? Basically how is the art of conversion practiced in your religion.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Conversion implies changing faith. Most people who "convert" have issues with their faith to begin with.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. PsychoticEpisode It is very dry in here today Valued Senior Member

That's a given. People just don't change for the sake of chnging, what provokes it or how is the conversion sold, how's it clinched?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I think it depends on the person; people who are dissatisfied with the faith they are born in but still crave spiritual growth will explore other faiths until they find one that "fits".

8. PsychoticEpisode It is very dry in here today Valued Senior Member

Kind of cheapens religion, don't you think? I mean on one hand somebody leaves their religion for yours while at the same time someone leaves yours for theirs, all the while craving spiritual growth. Either way your religion provides it and at the same time it doesn't. For that reason I can't buy what your saying. Something else makes people convert.

9. Adstar Valued Senior Member

In my Faith you put all your effort into giving the person as much detailed information as possible. Then you leave it between them and the Holy Spirit.

It is the Holy Spirit that does most of the converting really. Its like a power system a switch and a light. The power for the light does not originate from the switch on the wall but from the power station. Just as Christians are switches and the Holy Spirit is the multi million megawatt power system behind the little switch. Oh and the seeker is the light bulb of course the interaction between the bulb and the power system is more significant that the interaction between the switch and the bulb. Although to a person with no idea about power stations it might be logical to believe the source of the power is the switch.. lol i love analogies. Sorry i am getting carried away with it.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

10. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

People are different and not everyone has the same needs.

11. PsychoticEpisode It is very dry in here today Valued Senior Member

I don't know about that Adstar. Kind of sounds like the holy spirit needs help. Let's say a Xian wishes to convert to Catholicism from some Protestant denomination, what is the holy spirit doing lighting both ends of the candle at once? I don't buy it. We're human, we all have a price.

Gotta go....bedtime

12. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

Kill them, indoctrinate their children.

13. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

Meme them... or what nietzschefan said.

14. lightgigantic Banned Banned

basically the opportunity for good association coupled with service to god

factors for disqualification would be an inimical attitude.
    basically the average prime quality theist has this outlook
    expressions of love for god, friendship with other existing theists, mercifulness to the innocent and avoidance of the envious
    (this is is distinct from the low quality theist who does have the proper knowledge how to deal with those devoted or not devoted to god)
    4 types of pious people are capable of beginning spiritual life

BG 7.16: O best among the Bhāratas, four kinds of pious men begin to render devotional service unto Me — the distressed, the desirer of wealth, the inquisitive, and he who is searching for knowledge of the Absolute.
    and 4 types incapable

BG 7.15: Those miscreants who are grossly foolish, who are lowest among mankind, whose knowledge is stolen by illusion, and who partake of the atheistic nature of demons do not surrender unto Me.

to begin with, everyone is constitutionally a servant of god - this nature finds a variety of expressions - not just in terms of hindu/muslim/christian but also in the sense of being under the grip of illusion (ie accepting some other thing/person/object - and working as a servant of that - eg pet, country, spouse, career, etc) - as such its not so much an issue of conversion but of dovetailing one's inherent nature of service to the correct object (ie god)

15. Adstar Valued Senior Member

The Holy Spirit draws people but people can and do resist and reject the call of the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit will never lead people in two directions. There is only one path.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

What is the price of true love.

16. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

Money...evidently the easiest way to do anything nowadays

17. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

18. PsychoticEpisode It is very dry in here today Valued Senior Member

Death threats, even if you don't mean it. But that would be lying. So making examples is an effective tool.

19. ashpwner Registered Senior Member

with a gun to there head

20. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

That's easy, give them an endless supply of beer, and make them watch Jim and Tammy Faye until they have a spiritual experience!

21. ashpwner Registered Senior Member

or or or or or promis them eternal salvation right there and then and blow therebrains out that way u can say he converted i mean its not like his gona argue his case

22. pragmathen 0001 1111 Registered Senior Member

Most of religion is tied to emotions. Sure, you have the dogma that is tremendously helpful after the initial emotional-connection has been made, but if a person is feeling good immediately, then the chance of them being converted is increased by orders of magnitude.

Easily trusting people without an innate sense of skepticism could be swayed by hellfire & damnation pronouncements, but more intelligent people need better arguments to get them to devote hours out of their week to attending church. But the higher up you go in education, the more skeptical people become (correlation without causation?), especially since they have better access to a wider range of information.

Get a person emotionally invested in their own situation and they'll be more willing to hear the rest of what you have to offer them. Because, later on, it'll be so much harder for them to forsake the teachings and experience if they've tied all of that to emotions.

23. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

i would say to prey on peoples fear of death is the easyest way to convert, promise an afterlife,

peace.