effects of alcohol

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by vslayer, May 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vslayer Registered Senior Member

can anyone tell me what if any effects this can have on my body? ive been drinking daily for almost a month now(being unemployed and whatnot), not heavy drinking but maybe 5-6 beers in a day plus binge drinking every other weekend(probably a crate[24 drinks] a night)

i was just thinking about it today, and surely this cant be good for me. can anyone tell me how not good it is though?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. bsemak Just this guy, you know Registered Senior Member

Well, Apart from the steady weight gain, you will become less energetic and make it even more difficult for you to get e new job. Besides, It will also start to slow your mind. It seems to me that you are slowly moving towards a problem (so did I 12 years ago), so stick to the weekends.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Vega Banned Banned

Yeah your liver should turn into a plum within a year!
    I suggest getting a job, a new g/f and double the alcohol consumption!
    you would turn out just fine!!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. weed_eater_guy It ain't broke, don't fix it! Registered Senior Member

24 beers in a case, 24 hours in a day, right?

Seriously, I'd burn my money away if i drank that much! But all power to ya, you can outdrink alot of people I know already, and you can thank your now overdriven liver for that

8. Kumar Registered Senior Member

9. vslayer Registered Senior Member

but can anyone tell me how many years it would take before my liver finally gives out?

10. bsemak Just this guy, you know Registered Senior Member

Found this on Wikipedia:

(ALD). Alcoholic cirrhosis develops in 15% of individuals who drink heavily for more than a decade. There is great variability in the amount of alcohol needed to cause cirrhosis (as little as 3-4 drinks a day in some men and 2-3 in some women). Alcohol seems to injure the liver by blocking the normal metabolism of protein, fats, and carbohydrates.

However, I am not sure if this is a general science and technology question

. Or do physisicst like their drink to much.....

11. fishtail Registered Senior Member

Worry is the big killer, if the booze stops you worrying maybe it is good for you, but everything you put in your body has a negative effect, i am sure it
    is the individuals *mind set* that insures or not longevity.

12. John99 Banned Banned

Alcohol abuse (abuse-not moderate-shot a day etc.) has many health risks and it makes you look real bad as you get older.

The bad thing about abusive drugs is that the mood it puts you into early on changes dramatically over time. The change is allways for the worse but by that time it is usually too late.

13. Kumar Registered Senior Member

One can read most things related to Alcoholism by clicking on following link.

Alcohol abuse see Alcoholism
    Alcohol and diet
    Alcohol dependence see Alcoholism
    Alcohol in pregnancy see Fetal alcohol syndrome
    Alcohol test - breath see Breath alcohol test
    Alcohol use
    Alcohol withdrawal
    Alcohol withdrawal - delirium tremens see Delirium tremens
    Alcoholic cardiomyopathy
    Alcoholic encephalopathy see Wernicke-Korsakoff syndrome
    Alcoholic ketoacidosis
    Alcoholic liver disease
    Alcoholic neuropathy
    Alcoholic polyneuropathy see Alcoholic neuropathy
    Alcoholism
    Alcoholism - resources
    http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/encyclopedia_Ah-Ap.htm

I want to know more on alcoholism resulting acidic conditions, in stomach(more digestion so absorption of non-heme iron) and inside.

14. John Connellan Valued Senior Member

Kumar is right. The liver can regenerate fairly well in most cases but alcohol has a far more damaging effect on non-regenerating organs such as the heart and brain. You're much more likely to have a heart attack or sudden death caused by arrythmia/fibrillation after chronic alcohol toxicity

15. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

16. John Connellan Valued Senior Member

We've seen that guy on the top many times before on this forum. I'm guessing he's the first result when "fat man" is put into google images search engine right?

17. kmguru Staff Member

A friend of mine started social drinking due to mild depression. Over the last 4 years, it got worse...In the last two months, he was arrested for DUI, beating his wife under influence, divorce, losing a cushy job offer, lost driver's license, jailed again, this time falsely because the police did not have anything better to do, now out trying to put back his life. Very smart that became very stupid.

18. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

i found this:

Effects of Alcohol Intoxication
    last updated: April 3, 1995
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

General Effect
    Alcohol is a DOWNER that reduces activity in the central nervous system. The alcohol intoxicated person exhibits loose muscle tone, loss of fine motor coordination, and often has a staggering "drunken" gait.

Eyes
    The eyes may appear somewhat "glossy" and pupils may be slow to respond to stimulus. At high doses pupils may become constricted.

Vital Signs
    At intoxicating doses, alcohol can decrease heart rate, lower blood pressure and respiration rate, and result in decreased reflex responses and slower reaction times.

Skin
    Skin may be cool to the touch (but the user may feel warm), profuse sweating may accompany alcohol use.

Observation
    Loose muscle tone, loss of fine motor coordination, odor of alcohol on the breath, and a staggering "drunken" gait.

Specific Effects
    (related to the Blood Alcohol Concentration (BAC))
    The effects of alcohol intoxication are greatly influenced by individual variations among users. Some users may become intoxicated at a much lower Blood Alcohol Concentration (BAC) level than is shown.

0.02-0.03 BAC: No loss of coordination, slight euphoria and loss of shyness. Depressant effects are not apparent.

0.04-0.06 BAC: Feeling of well-being, relaxation, lower inhibitions, sensation of warmth. Euphoria. Some minor impairment of reasoning and memory, lowering of caution.

0.07-0.09 BAC: Slight impairment of balance, speech, vision, reaction time, and hearing. Euphoria. Judgement and self- control are reduced, and caution, reason and memory are impaired.

0.10-0.125 BAC: Significant impairment of motor coordination and loss of good judgement. Speech may be slurred; balance, vision, reaction time and hearing will be impaired. Euphoria. It is illegal to operate a motor vehicle at this level of intoxication.

0.13-0.15 BAC: Gross motor impairment and lack of physical control. Blurred vision and major loss of balance. Euphoria is reduced and dysphoria is beginning to appear.

0.16-0.20 BAC: Dysphoria (anxiety, restlessness) predominates, nausea may appear. The drinker has the appearance of a "sloppy drunk."

0.25 BAC: Needs assistance in walking; total mental confusion. Dysphoria with nausea and some vomiting.

0.30 BAC: Loss of consciousness.

0.40 BAC and up: Onset of coma, possible death due to respiratory arrest.

-------------

i drink but i am sensible and i only drink out of the house, and with friends

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.