Civil War USA?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Baron Max, Apr 23, 2007.

1. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Civil War USA? I've been think that a civil war might be possible in this great nation since about 1970 or so. And interestingly, I've seen the conditions getting better and better for civil war and/or major revolt ever since. Read below and tell me what you think:

"So where do you think America might divide itself into two factions that could fight a sustained civil war?" Reuben demanded.

Torrent smiled. "Red state, blue state."

"That's cheap media graphics. You might as well say rural versus urban."

"I do say that. But the geographical division is still clear. The northeast and the West Coast against the South and the middle ...with some states torn apart because they're so evenly balanced."

"No one's going to fight over those differences."

Torrent smiled his maddeningly superior smile. "The rhetoric today is already as hotblooded and insane and hate-filled as it was over slavery (and states' rights) before the first Civil War - and even then most people refused to believe war was possible until Fort Sumter fell."

From the novel by "Empire" by Orson Scott Card

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

Yes Rural VS Urban, absolutely.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

man...you got my hopes up. And then it turns out to be a shit thread.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

Set off by a friendly fire incident.

8. The Devil Inside Banned Banned

start with buffalo roam.

9. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

The Devil Inside

Any time you grow the balls big enough.

10. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

Careful, [ENC]Buffalo Roam[/ENC] has experiance.

11. terryoh Registered Senior Member

Naw, there won't be another civil war. We've had one already and that caused unforgettable tragedy. America doesn't need another. Although America greatly differs politically (from White Supremacist Nazi fascists all the way to full blown Marxists/Communists and everything in between), America leaves their differences to open debate, discussion, and the voting process.

There will never be a Red State/Blue State civil war.

12. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

I'm guessing that they said something similar just prior to the first Civil War, but it happened, didn't it? And we're much more divided now than then.

Baron Max

13. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

I thought you said that it wasnt a Civil War?

14. terryoh Registered Senior Member

True, but we're also smarter than we were more than 100 years ago (generally).

Remember, many states in the Union wanted to secede in the run up to the Civil War. Do you see any states that actually want to secede? Maybe Vermont? LOL.

15. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

The operative word there is "generally". There are many people who would be more than happy to have a seperate state/territory not controlled by the government. And I'm not talking about just a few, either.

No, that's not true. The issue of states' rights was fought long and hard ...long before anyone even suggested seceeding from the union. And right now, people of the USA are divided along issues of "conservative" and "liberal" much more than on the issue of states' rights in the 1800s.

Oh, it won't be about seceeding, it'll be about control of their own destiny. As it is, too many people are feeling that they're being overly controlled by many who they feel are not listening to their complaints and needs. And, as you can tell right here on sciforums that that's true.

As I said before, we're much more divided on many more issues than they ever were just prior to the Civil War.

Baron Max

16. RoyLennigan Registered Senior Member

We're only smarter relative to what we've been through. I guarantee that the next civil war won't be anything like what we've been through, though. I agree with Baron Max. There is more than enough conflict within the US to lay the seeds for another civil war. If we don't figure things out ourselves with a civil war, then eventually some foreign country is going to get powerful and frustrated enough to put us in our place. Either way, the US is due for some humility.

17. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

People only revolt when they have nothing to lose.
    Americans are far too comfortable and spoiled for a civil war.

I wouldn'd discount the idea of some sort of split - but a political one, done by lawyers and accountants.

18. terryoh Registered Senior Member

You have a point, Baron Max.

But when has America not been divided? We were divided in the 60s and 70s. Vietnam was, arguably, one of the most divisive issues in American history, but we got through that. In fact, that era saw student protests and demonstrations like no other (even a lot of violence).

But like I said, you have a point. But I think the experiences of the past are enough that a civil war will not occur anymore. It will take an issue (or some issues) that are so close to the heart of Americans that it is worth fighting over. For now, I don't see any issue that causes that. Maybe loss of civil liberties for security? I don't know.

19. terryoh Registered Senior Member

But I think the "conflict" you refer to can be and will be solved politically. We have a lot more channels of media to vent our frustrations than ever before. When we didn't have these outlets before, violence was one of the next best options. But we don't have to turn to that anymore.

I don't know. I'm not disagreeing with you or Baron Max. Both of you have great points. I'm just really skeptical, based on the tragedy that America already went through in one civil war already.

20. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Didn't they say the same things after World War I? And didn't World War II start only a few years later? What happened to all those "experiences of the past" of which you speak?

Civil rights? Crime? Abortion rights? Stem cell research and use? Government policies? Religion? Conservative-Liberalism? Gun control? National Security? Education? Government controls of free enterprise? Global warming? Pollution controls? Oil, gas and electric energy? National healthcare? Taxing the people to pay for those who don't/won't work? ... Oh, I could go on and on, and so could you. Add them all up, and what do you get?

Baron Max

21. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

I think that your federal government will go one step too far in it's federal powers and overstep some fundamental american liberty that urban people do not value and rural people value, probably it will be racially divisible as well to really open the floodgates of some fundamental U.S issues.

It might never happen, it is quite avoidable.

22. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Oh, yeah, we can vent our frustrations in those "outlets", but they don't ever do any good, do they? We've heard the same old arguments about any and all divisive issues, but nothing changes ....same old arguments, over and over and over. At some point, someone, some group, is going to get pissed off enough to do something.

Surely you can't deny that violence is all around us, all day, all night, every day, every night? Violence is used regularly if you only take a moment to look around. Please do that right now ...check your favorite news show.

How many people were skeptical about going into World War II right after we'd just finished World War I? And what of those who were skeptical about going into Korea right after World War II?

Skepticism is nice, but is it right based on past history?

Baron Max

23. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

That's the whole problem, you look at the news and it makes you think the country is full of violence, then you look out your window and there's nothing but crickets... There won't be a civil war.