23 Yazidis Kurds murdered in Mosul

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Michael, Apr 23, 2007.

1. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

Gunmen line up, execute 23 Kurds in Mosul

yea I know big surprise and so what? Well, what was interesting is that these people were Yezidi - this was the first time I had heard of their beleif and so I thought I'd post it.

In the Yazidi worldview, God created the world, which is now in the care of a Heptad of seven Holy Beings, often known as Angels or heft sirr (the Seven Mysteries). Pre-eminent among these is Melek Taus (Tawûsê Melek in Kurdish), the Peacock Angel, who is equated with Satan or Devil by some Muslims and Christians. According to the Encyclopedia of the Orient, "The reason for the Yazidis reputation of being devil worshipers, is connected to the other name of Melek Taus, Shaytan, the same name as the Koran's for Satan."[2] However, according to the Kurdish linguist Jamal Nebez, the word Taus is most probably derived from the Greek and is related to the words Zeus and Theos, alluding to the meaning of God. Accordingly, Malak Ta'us is God's Angel, and this is how Yezidis themselves see Melek Taus or Taus-e-Malak ([3], page 21).

Michael

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Yeah, the Yezidis are an interesting lot. Really hooked on the old duality thingy. They do get a lot of flack about supposedly being "devil worshippers". The sect is derived from Zoroastrianism I think.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.