Mandatory Gun Ownership causes 89% drop in crime

Discussion in 'World Events' started by madanthonywayne, Apr 21, 2007.

1. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

I saw the Harvard thread, and thought I'd give the other side of the argument. This town in Georgia mandated that all heads of household own both a gun and amnunition and immediately saw an 89% drop in crime (according to some) While the exact figure is open to debate, what's not is that crime fell and the city did not become a shooting gallary.
    Even the police seem to approve of the law:
    And here's a quote that really says it all:
    So, for comparison, what if you went the opposite route and banned guns?
    So ban guns, and crime goes up. Big surprise. We all saw how effective "gun free zones" are in Virginia the other day.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kennesaw,_Georgia
    http://www.boston.com/news/world/eu...thern_us_town_proud_of_its_mandatory_gun_law/

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. orcot Valued Senior Member

excellent let's expand and give every country in the world nukes

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

I'm sure that were it not for nukes, the US an USSR would not have farted around with a "cold war". They would have fought an all out hot war that might have devastated the planet even without nukes.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. orcot Valued Senior Member

So you agree that giving nukes to all countries including North korea, Iran, africa and who ever you care to name would be a good ID that will stop most if not all border insidents :bugeye:

8. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

Umm... Africa's not a country.

9. w1z4rd Valued Senior Member

Now compare the 1 result of low crime to canadian cities without firearms. I wonder how many canadian cities without firearms have similar track records. More than 1?

10. w1z4rd Valued Senior Member

I was once asked by an American, if the country I lived in, South Africa, was in Australia.

11. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Unfair comparison. The demographics are not the same. We'd need to compare a Canadian city that allows guns to one that doesn't. Or, compare the same city before and after gun control. I'd google that, but it's bed time.

12. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

I'm sure the point of the thread was that for every statistic one can find that says "banning gun ownership reduces crime", one can also find a perfectly legitimate counter-example.

Maybe you should also brush up on your cold war history as well. Cold war "border disputes" as you call them still occured in Vietnam, Korea, Central America, Afghanistan, Iran, ... Giving everyone nukes only means that the consequences for using nukes is greater. It doesn't do anything to prevent war.

13. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

And if that person was using a geopolitical argument to make his case, say that the proliferation of nuclear weapons during the cold war compared to gun ownership in America, would you believe him?

14. orcot Valued Senior Member

No it isn't is it. However the region is rather now for the concept of today , with little regard for tomorow. That is BTW next to the enviromental conditions either the number 1 or number 2 reason for africa's poverty. Fine their are some countries like south africa and perhaps even Marroco and dare I say Egypt that fall A little out of this generalisation enough to mention them. But handing out guns to everybody could be considerd as a bad ID by some

15. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

Not proofreading your posts is also a...bad ID

16. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

And a good idea to others. The Swiss don't seem to have a problem with it...

I still don't see where you've made a valid point.

17. w1z4rd Valued Senior Member

South Africa is its own country. K . thanks. The only problem is that since we are not a poor country, we have the rest of Africa jumping over the border to steal stuff.

Botswana has a stronger economy than South Africa (their Pula (their currency) is stronger than our Rand).

Madagascar, Namibia and several other African countries are also doing very well. The rest suck.

18. orcot Valued Senior Member

maybe. I didn't want it to sound particulairy racistic but what works in some places might not work in other places. In this case I believe it would have a opposide effect on most places

19. w1z4rd Valued Senior Member

On the situation with gun control. I come from Africa.. we _need_ guns, but that said, no civilian needs a fully automatic fire arm. They should limit urban firearms to revolvers, and allow non-urban areas, bolt-action rifles or something like that.

Pistols or other semi-automatic weapons should be allowed to the police.

20. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

And no one NEEDS a car that goes faster than 70 mph. But people like to have fast cars, because they like to drive them. A person buys an automatic gun because they like to shoot it. What's the difference?

21. w1z4rd Valued Senior Member

Ive stopped been as politically correct as I have been for the last 10 years. I dont care, our current government blames just about everything on the minorities here. Even their own corruption... I dont know if you know the story about the boy that cried wolf... but there are only so many times you can play the race card before its starts getting weak.

22. orcot Valued Senior Member

In both cases accidents can happen but be real. One is made special for killing like the other is made for transportation. And how often do you see someone get killed by a gun on the tv (or movie) in comparison with someone being driving over

23. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

But isn't your president black? The same guy who suggested holistic medication for AIDS/HIV and who raped a girl during his election campaign?