Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 58

Thread: China's Gun Control Policy

  1. #1
    Valued Senior Member Facial's Avatar
    Posts
    2,210

    China's Gun Control Policy

    China reiterates stance on gun control
    By Zhu Zhe (China Daily)
    Updated: 2007-04-21 08:58

    Public Security Ministry spokesman Wu Heping on Friday said China would maintain strict controls on guns, while responding to the deadly rampage at a US university on Monday.

    "I would like to express my deep sympathy and condolences to the victims of the tragedy in the United States, which claimed the lives of many young students," Wu told China Daily.


    Police destroy 30,000 replica guns confiscated from smugglers on Friday in Shanghai.

    Wu said the tragedy also throws into focus gun ownership in China.

    He said strict controls had helped China avoid a US-style "gun culture", and the rampage had proved that it's necessary to maintain this policy.

    US media reported that more than 30,000 people die from gunshot wounds in the country annually and there are more guns in private hands than in any other country.

    However in China, gun crime is rare, as private citizens are forbidden from owning and selling guns.

    Wu said the ban aims to wipe out potential danger and protect the safety of every individual citizen. "If there's no access to the weapon, people cannot commit a gun crime," he said.

    The spokesman added that the US tragedy also reminds education authorities that they should pay more attention to students' mental health.

    But despite strict controls, illegal guns and explosives are still traded in China, and Wu said the ministry would continue its crackdowns.

    The ministry launched a national campaign against illegal guns last year. Official figures show that from last June to September, police confiscated about 178,000 illegal guns, 3,900 tons of explosives, 7.77 million detonators and 4.75 million bullets.

    Ministry figures also show that more than 3.8 million illegal weapons have been confiscated in recent years.

    Wu said at a press conference last year that although the production, sale and stockpiling of guns and explosives had been decreasing nationwide since 2001, the problem was still "severe" in some areas, such as in Hualong County in Northwest China's Qinghai Province.

    In June 2005, criminals Ma Saiyi and Ma Huni were arrested in Qinghai for the production and sale of more than 100 guns. They were both jailed for 12 years.

    Early last year, police in Southwest China's Chongqing Municipality also cracked a gun selling case, seizing 45 suspects, 57 guns and 321 bullets.

    High profits are deemed the biggest attraction for people who trade illegal guns, although those found guilty of selling guns or explosives face punishment ranging from three years in jail to the death penalty.

    "Each gun may generate profits of up to 3,000 yuan ($375)," Xu Hu, deputy director of the ministry's public security bureau, said in an earlier interview. "The money is a huge temptation for farmers with yearly incomes of less than 1,000 yuan ($125)."
    Source:
    http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2...ent_856308.htm

    So we see that in a country with over 4 times as many people, gun crimes are comparatively rare, and especially so if measured on a per capita basis.

    But if people start buying RPGs in the black market, why not arm ourselves with those RPGs too? Most guns are inferior compared to them! Or what about WMDs? I'm telling you, criminals can't wait to top McVeigh's truck bomb. Who knows what they'll use - anthrax, botulinum, smallpox, sarin, ricin, VX, nukes, etc. So we must have the right to bear WMDs in defense!

    After all, our right to bear arms is protected by the constitution. For defense's sake! Start thinking beyond "arms" as in "guns" - think flamethrowers, RPGs, WMDs, mines, missiles, and other bombs.

    But I'd prefer a more peaceful world. Which is why I would stick with China's strict policy, even if it puts me at an incrementally greater risk for some time. Seriously, I'm not that selfish. But I could start building defense bombs if you prefer.

    If you've been reading Chinese news for some times, you'll know that gun control works if strictly applied. All the murders in China involve few individuals, and because they usually are done with knives and clubs.
    Last edited by Facial; 04-20-07 at 09:24 PM.

  2. #2
    Registered Senior Member Buffalo Roam's Avatar
    Posts
    16,931
    Facial

    Source:
    http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2...ent_856308.htm

    So we see that in a country with over 4 times as many people, gun crimes are comparatively rare, and especially so if measured on a per capita basis.

    Can you say Tiananmen Square, Tibet, Gulja massacre, Tian'an'men Massacre on June 4th 1989 [massacre of the Peking city to be exact] would be related to mourning late CCP general secretary Hu Yaobang. The significant difference of June 4th 1989 Massacre from that on April 5th 1976 would be the fact that reporters from news media all over the world, who had converged upon Peking for Gorbachev visitation and the World Bank meeting, had witnessed the communist killing machines, i.e., tanks, machine guns, bayonets and dumdum bullets.

    So with the government massacring so many it is a safe place?

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Facial View Post
    Source:
    http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2...ent_856308.htm

    So we see that in a country with over 4 times as many people, gun crimes are comparatively rare, and especially so if measured on a per capita basis.

    But if people start buying RPGs in the black market, why not arm ourselves with those RPGs too? Most guns are inferior compared to them! Or what about WMDs? I'm telling you, criminals can't wait to top McVeigh's truck bomb. Who knows what they'll use - anthrax, botulinum, smallpox, sarin, ricin, VX, nukes, etc. So we must have the right to bear WMDs in defense!

    After all, our right to bear arms is protected by the constitution. For defense's sake! Start thinking beyond "arms" as in "guns" - think flamethrowers, RPGs, WMDs, mines, missiles, and other bombs.

    But I'd prefer a more peaceful world. Which is why I would stick with China's strict policy, even if it puts me at an incrementally greater risk for some time. Seriously, I'm not that selfish. But I could start building defense bombs if you prefer.

    If you've been reading Chinese news for some times, you'll know that gun control works if strictly applied. All the murders in China involve few individuals, and because they usually are done with knives and clubs.
    i mentioned that in the gun control argument .

    hey he has a rocket launcher i need one too, hey he has a nuke i need one too.

    peace.

  4. #4
    Registered Senior Member Buffalo Roam's Avatar
    Posts
    16,931
    Facial

    If you've been reading Chinese news for some times, you'll know that gun control works if strictly applied. All the murders in China involve few individuals, and because they usually are done with knives and clubs.
    Unless the government is doing the murders, and China is famous for its massacres, should I repeat them again?, and I have found more.

    And how about the 22,000 executions a year?

  5. #5
    buffalo : i dont get how the 22,000 executions a year are related in any way to gun control. yes china has a lot of problems and its hardly what you might call democratic but how is that in any way related to gun crime. facial's argument seems to be that on a purely statistical basis, america with its pro gun ownership laws has far more gun related homicides than china with anti gun ownership laws. youre talking bout the completely autocratic nature of the govt while the argument is that strict gun laws help reduce the number of gun related homicides

  6. #6
    Registered Senior Member Buffalo Roam's Avatar
    Posts
    16,931
    airavata, because the government seem to be the biggest murder of all, it uses murder to keep the people in line, or what would you consider the Tienemin Square ? was that not government sanctioned murder?

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo Roam View Post
    airavata, because the government seem to be the biggest murder of all, it uses murder to keep the people in line, or what would you consider the Tienemin Square ? was that not government sanctioned murder?
    Weren't you the one complaining about Samcdkey's English?

  8. #8
    Registered Senior Member Buffalo Roam's Avatar
    Posts
    16,931
    spuriousmonkey

    NWTRT

  9. #9
    Tell us the story again how you led a platoon of latrine diggers on a mission to capture Salman Rushdie and execute him on the spot for being an intellectual.

  10. #10
    Registered Senior Member Buffalo Roam's Avatar
    Posts
    16,931
    spuriousmonkey

    NILSHTI

  11. #11
    you are so full of useful information.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by spuriousmonkey View Post
    Tell us the story again how you led a platoon of latrine diggers on a mission to capture Salman Rushdie and execute him on the spot for being an intellectual.
    Did they flush him out?

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickelodeon View Post
    Did they flush him out?
    It was a bit tricky to flush him out because Salman was at a book signing. But once they started shooting all the people and enough blood started flowing Salman was flushed out of the terrorist book store.

  14. #14
    Lol, WTF? China is one of the last countries someone should be listening to in regards to how well gun control is for their citizens, lol. Obviously their government is gonna say that and will wanna take a stance against em. The same for any anti-stance taken against any other freedom we take for granted from our Constitution. I take it we should all listen to China in regards to how well their stance is against free speech too?

    - N

  15. #15
    Our guns keep us from having a government like China's. The last time a despotic regime tried to curtail our freedom we started shooting them.

    I'm willing to put up with a considerable amount of danger in order not to have to live like the Chinese, and I'm not just talking about executions. Its government is completely out of control.

    "Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little security will end up with neither, and that is exactly what they deserve." -- a quote often attributed to Ben Franklin but the source is actually undetermined. It was probably a rather common saying in America in the Revolutionary Era. We should be reminded of it, as we endure "no-fly" lists, wiretapping, and being leered at by "inspectors" with full-body x-ray machines in airports.

    You can keep China, and take its running-dog Wal-Mart with you on your way out. I prefer the gun culture even though I personally don't like to be around them.

  16. #16
    As a mother, I am telling you Syzygys's Avatar
    Posts
    12,645
    Quote Originally Posted by Fraggle Rocker View Post
    Our guns keep us from having a government like China's.
    You and BR making a very illogical argument. The 2 are unrelated. Simple proof, Japan.

    It has a democracy and its gunviolence is very, very rare, probably 1/100th of the US violence on a per capita base.

    End of story...

    P.S.; Not to mention that with rising gun ownership we have less and less freedom!

  17. #17
    Registered Senior Member Buffalo Roam's Avatar
    Posts
    16,931
    Syzygys, wrong gun violence is still taking place in Japan, a little research show that the criminal element still has access to fire arms any time they want them.

  18. #18
    uniquely dreadful S.A.M.'s Avatar
    Posts
    72,822
    Quote Originally Posted by Fraggle Rocker View Post
    Our guns keep us from having a government like China's. The last time a despotic regime tried to curtail our freedom we started shooting them.

    I'm willing to put up with a considerable amount of danger in order not to have to live like the Chinese, and I'm not just talking about executions. Its government is completely out of control.

    "Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little security will end up with neither, and that is exactly what they deserve." -- a quote often attributed to Ben Franklin but the source is actually undetermined. It was probably a rather common saying in America in the Revolutionary Era. We should be reminded of it, as we endure "no-fly" lists, wiretapping, and being leered at by "inspectors" with full-body x-ray machines in airports.

    You can keep China, and take its running-dog Wal-Mart with you on your way out. I prefer the gun culture even though I personally don't like to be around them.
    Only 20% of Americans vote and the President is elected by the Supreme Court.

    Thats not freedom, thats negligence.

  19. #19
    Registered Senior Member Buffalo Roam's Avatar
    Posts
    16,931
    samcdkey

    Only 20% of Americans vote and the President is elected by the Supreme Court.
    As usual sam is wrong, failure to research, hatred of America,
    US Census Press Releases
    Percentage of eligible voters who cast their ballots in the November 2000 presidential election, slightly higher than the 58 percent who voted in 1996. ...
    http://www.census.gov/Press-Release/...ns/002957.html

    Last time I checked 58%

  20. #20
    uniquely dreadful S.A.M.'s Avatar
    Posts
    72,822
    How many of the eligible people register to vote?

    How many of the registered voters actually vote?

    Do your brain cells function at all?

    edit: I checked again, it was 40% of the VAP, not 20%.
    Last edited by S.A.M.; 04-21-07 at 04:16 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •