"Seek and Ye Shall Find"

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by IceAgeCivilizations, Apr 19, 2007.

1. IceAgeCivilizations Banned Banned

The Bible says those who want to know God should "seek and ye shall find," so the obvious corollary is that if you don't honestly seek, though you say you do, then you don't find God.

So true seekers of God find Him, and disingenous seekers do not, interesting concept in that those who say they have tried to relate to God but haven't, in reality, would admit in their heart of hearts that they really hadn't sincerely tried. In other words there are honest seekers and dishonest seekers.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Interestingly, the Buddhists say the same thing with regard to enlightenment. Seeking spiritual revelation allows it to happen, those who don't seek don't find anything. It's not a given that seekers will all find the same thing.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I think that goes for pretty much everything in life.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. IceAgeCivilizations Banned Banned

Of course, only one faith can be the way to the true Creator God, as they all contradict each other in irreconcilable ways.

In other words, either one of the faiths is the way, or none of them are.

8. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

M*W: There is no such thing as a "dishonest seeker." There are people who seek and people who don't. Only a seeker of truth will find the truth, and a seeker of lies will believe the lies, and those people who refuse to seek have already deceived themselves.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2007
  9. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

You think that's an obvious corollary?
    "If you work hard for success, you will achieve it."
    Does that necessarily mean that those who do not will not?
    That no one stumbles upon success?

That depends on the school of Buddhism.
    It is also said that the fool could stumble upon the Dhamma and find enlightenment.

10. IceAgeCivilizations Banned Banned

That is another way to say it Med Woman.

11. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I would say none. Firstly, there is some experience that transcends ordinary consciousness, then people tend to superimpose the interpretation that suits them, or that culture has taught them. That's where it tends to go wrong.

12. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

M*W: Although I know you don't want it, but my point of view is that the "creator god" is the "sun" and/or "sun-of-god." Sun worship evolved into many, if not all, religions. Therefore, god, the personification of the sun, has been there always for everything in nature and for humankind. No man-made religion is the right way to believe, ergo, all religions "contradict each other in irreconcilable ways...". Your religion, in particular, has caused division, strife, and bloodshed among each other and inflicted on the other 75% of humankind, because your interpretation is wrong.

13. VitalOne Banned Banned

I agree, a person can only know God by seeking....

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you" (Matt 7:7)

"So I say to you, Ask, and it will be given you; search, and you will find; knock, and the door will be opened for you. For everyone who asks receives, and everyone who searches finds, and for everyone who knocks, the door will be opened" (Luke 11:9-10)

"So I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours" (Mark 11:24)

Ofcourse, my favorite quote on this subject is:
    "Those who seek should not stop seeking until they find. When they find, they will be disturbed. When they are disturbed, they will marvel, and will reign over all" (Gospel of Thomas, 2)

14. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

M*W: Yeah, I like that one, too.

15. nova900 more spirituality,less dogma Registered Senior Member

Not according to the testimony of thousands of people who claim they have had near death experiences. Religion apparently,is just considered a tool to aid people in spiritually finding God.

These people come from all backrounds and religion,Christian,Jewish, Budhist,Muslim,etc...doesn't matter...its what you did in life and your motivation for doing so that's important.Some are not religous at all.
    The contradictions you speak of are the man corrupted element we all(ok,well not all..) are familiar with.

Many were told this is the same principle all across the universe, as it itself is brimming over with life of almost unlimited variety.

And no Ice..this is not my research

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

16. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

I'm gunna go ahead and tell you what most theists tell non-theists when they go off just one line in a scripture; you can't take that statment by itself/literally.
    For example, "ask and ye shall recieve". Does that mean if I ask for a million dollars and a harem of girls, I'll get it?
    I've been 'seeking' a job that pays a shitload of money. Does that mean I'll find it?

17. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Or all of them are, or some of them are. If you are unable to contemplate these possibilities then you are failing to use your God given intellect. Perhaps you were at the back of the queue when he was handing that out.

18. NDS NDS Registered Senior Member

When IAC's parents told him Santa Clause didn't exist, he wrote 2 books proving Santa's existence.

19. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

:roflmao:

20. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

Aren't those two books part of a volume set; with the Easter Bunny and Tooth Fairy due shortly thereafter?

21. KennyJC Registered Senior Member

This an interesting dilemma for a fundamentalist like yourself.

Assumption 1: There is no god, all religion is false, you have wasted your life being delusional.

Assumption 2: There is a god... In this case how do you know the 'correct' religion even exists? Man has invented many religions, but far too few for any one of them to be realistically acurate.

22. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

Just roll the bones. Life, perhaps the whole universe is a massive gamble. I find that Truth or rather the pursuit of Truth is the only religion most (reasonable)people can agree on.

23. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

M*W: How right you are! I suppose then according to your theory, I do have a religion and, yes, it is also an addiction.