Against God (the new religion?)

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by lightgigantic, Apr 15, 2007.

1. lightgigantic Banned Banned

http://www.theage.com.au/news/in-de...1175971410059.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap2

more in the article - I thought it was interesting to see how this (apparently) contemporary branch of atheism bears many similarities to religion itself

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. wsionynw Master Queef Valued Senior Member

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. w1z4rd Valued Senior Member

Calling atheism a religion is like calling bald a hair color.

and

There is a check list here for more info to make up your mind:

http://www.abarnett.demon.co.uk/atheism/atheismreligion.html

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Bells Staff Member

On the contrary. As an atheist, I have seen many fellow atheists treat their atheism as thought it were a religion. They actively attempt to convert others into our line of thought (convert the believers into atheists) and they preach atheists beliefs in the same fashion an avid and rabid Christian preaches bible verses.

This is something I have never appreciated. As an atheist, I dislike it when some attempt to force others into not believing (as I do not believe). Some atheists do treat their atheism as though it were a religion. And it is not and never will be.

8. SnakeLord snakeystew.com Valued Senior Member

That's purely dependant upon how you define 'religion'. If you use the definition:

- something one believes in and follows devotedly

Then anything and everything is a religion and thus the word descends into worthlessness.

More pertinent perhaps is

- a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, esp. when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances

The mistake is being made because 'religion' is being defined simply as something one does with devotion, (from football to sex to computer games). Once again: That definition includes everything and thus becomes a redundant, worthless word.