Heaven on Earth

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Bowser, Apr 12, 2007.

1. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

Feel free to bash or to build on the following idea. It seems to be a popular concept that floats around in various forms and is the notion that life is heaven, here and now. Heaven then can be summed up as being life itself or, "life is a beach."

I recall watching a program where several leaders representing various religions were asked questions regarding the nature of Heaven and the afterlife. The thing that struck me about their answers was that many of those things they described seemed attainable here on Earth. Short of immortality as we might understand it, anything that we might want seems to be here.

A couple of questions:

If life here is not heaven, what is absent that we cannot call it such?

If life is heaven, what then is perfection?

I have no answers for above and invite you to simply explore the above with your own thoughts without answering the question.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

At risk of sounding like dragon...

Heaven exists in the mind.
    It is here and it is not.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

I've often wondered that myself. I mean is heaven a physical place like here on earth (plants, sunshine, fresh air, etc.) or is it some sort of surreal place where we float around as spirits?
    Is it another physical planet, another realm/dimension?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

Gimme a pound of Hashish, I will take you to heaven.

8. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

I'm sure all cancer victims might have something to say about your ideas, don't you?

And what about the millions of people who are starving to death all over the world? You think they might have something to say about your idea?

What about people who are living in abject poverty? Sickness? Diseases? Murder victims? Drug addicts who can't find the money for their next fix? What about the boy who is madly in "love" and his girlfriend won't fuck him?

Perhaps you should think of your ideas with a bit of a broader perspective. Ideals are wonderful things, aren't they? ...until those ideals come up against the ugly realities of life.

Baron Max

9. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

:roflmao: This one was quite amusing. That is definitely not heaven right there!

10. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

Regardless of all that pain, most would still choose to live. No, most would fight to see the sun rise the following day.

Perhaps you should think of your ideas with a bit of a broader perspective. The ugly realities of life are always there, I know. I have been there. It's very easy to get lost in that ugly reality, too. :shrug:

11. SnakeLord snakeystew.com Valued Senior Member

From a biblical perspective it is two things:

1) The expanse above the sky, (known to modern day humans as 'space').

2) A new Jerusalem made out of gold and gemstones that will come down out of heaven, (space), and land on a new earth. The good folk will dwell inside the new Jerusalem while dogs, the sexually immoral and fortune tellers have to stay outside the city.

Heaven is 'space', the afterlife is Jerusalem.

12. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

Why? Is hashish some sort of fuel for an interdimensional spaceship or portal that transports you to heaven?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

13. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

In a way. :m:

14. geeser Atheism:is non-prophet making Valued Senior Member

Stated by a man who's never made love.

15. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

But have you made love on hashish?

16. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

:roflmao: :roflmao:

Touche'

I guess you could see it like that. In that case, I've made a few visits myself. You could ride with just plain ol' MJ, but that's kinda like riding in coach comparitively.

17. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

What's this then?

"From the days of John the Baptist until now the kingdom of heaven suffers violence, and violent men take it by force."

Jesus answered them, "To you it has been granted to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it has not been granted.

Jesus presented another parable to them, saying, "The kingdom of heaven may be compared to a man who sowed good seed in his field.

I don't want to play on metaphors...

http://unbound.biola.edu/

18. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

Holy crap - gave me a heart attack. I thought you were my girlfriend until I saw your post count.

19. geeser Atheism:is non-prophet making Valued Senior Member

why the f**k would I want to, surely it would be better to be myself, and enjoy the experience, than have a drug control me.
    it would be like date rape, with me being the drugged victim.

20. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

Give a man a pound of hashish, and he will experience heaven for a month. Teach the man to grow hashish, and he will experience heaven for a lifetime. Amen.

21. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

In a previous thread, you gave me a bollocking for suggesting there is such a thing as physical reality and that I lack imagination

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

You said reality is a dream; so what ugly realities are you talking about? Cancer victims and starving people surely, only exist in Your dream.

22. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

Give me a man that knows how to grow hashish and I will be his best friend, for ever:m: .

23. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

M*W: Mw, too, tab! Me, too!