Love vs. Religion

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by battig1370, Apr 10, 2007.

1. battig1370 Registered Senior Member

From learning about history, religion has not shown much love to their neighbors. In the gospels it is written 'Love your enemy', but over the last 2000 years most christians avoided that commandment. Why is that?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

I think you might look at the other commandments, too. You'll see that they're not followed either. So ....why did you pick on the "Love" commandment.

And just so you know, I think your comment is true of all other religions, too, not just Christians. So why pick on only the Christians?

Baron Max

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. RoyLennigan Registered Senior Member

Destruction is easier than creation.

People like to choose the easier path.

They don't really care about what happens later, they just want instant gratification.

They are misled to what sin actually is.

It isn't their fault, its just a long chain of slight misinterpretation.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. NDS NDS Registered Senior Member

When lions fiercly protect their young, does this mean that they love them?
    When a male and female bird bonk each other and then raise the kids together, is this love?

When an atheist lays downs his/her life for his/her family, is that love?

John 15:13
    13 Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one's life for his friends.

I don't see a "believe in God" qualifier in this verse. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

8. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

Maybe because Christians vehemently preach tolerance and forgiveness (much like battig mentioned the 'love your enemies/love thy neighbour thing). Islam, while it's supposed to be a peaceful religion, doesn't try to use 'love thy enemy' as one of their selling points.

So, whenever Christians or Christianity do things that contradict that the idea of 'love your enemies', it just brings that much more negative attention to it. Now, if you heard about a bunch of Satanists starting conflicts and skirmishes and what not, you wouldn't think anything about it because it would seem more fitting for that kind of crowd to be violent.

This is just my hypothesis. I may be wrong.

9. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Sure. But you'll notice that if they do protect their young, then they're not "loving" their enemy. The post was about "Love Thy Enemy".

Baron Max

10. NDS NDS Registered Senior Member

Out in the jungle there is one rule: Eat or be eaten.

If someone is trying to eat you alive, there is no way to love them.

Also, please define "enemy" for me.

11. battig1370 Registered Senior Member

You are correct. --- "all other religions, too, not just Christians."

So why pick on only the Christians?

I have much more knowledge of the gospels than the doctrines of other religions and live in North America that claims to live by christian values

12. NDS NDS Registered Senior Member

Battig, please define "enemy."

13. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

Christians in training...possibly.

14. battig1370 Registered Senior Member

An enemy is someone that hates you or don't like you. Or also an enemy is someone you hates or you don't like.

Also the reason I pick on Christians is that the commandments of love are written in there Holy Book and one of these love commandments is 'love your enemy'. The enemy is defined in the gospels.

Also it's defined why the followers of Jesus 'love their enemy'.

15. battig1370 Registered Senior Member

Hate and WMDs is a very volatile mixture and one spark would bring about massive destruction.