Is everything a creation of the mind?

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by Quantum Quack, Mar 30, 2007.

1. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

I have come to the conclusion that everything is essentially psychosomatic. In that all is a creation of the mind whether that be a form of mental mono-ism or collective mind is yet to be decided.

All illnesses for example have their fundamental premise in the way we think and how that affects our well being. [ in absolute terms ]

Care to discuss?

I would be insterested in any thoughts offered

"It is all an imagination. Sure it is an imagination that conforms to certain laws and rules such as shown by physics and science but still it is all just an imagination"

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Grantywanty Registered Senior Member

Why would your mind need a response?
    Create!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

Uhm....I guess I just did by starting this thread....ergo sum and all that

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Ripley Valued Senior Member

If essentially we are also, or rather, we all contain the psyche's heritage that would date back to kingdom come, back to whenever, and, in the same light, if just as essentially the genome is calibrated for each species so that we alike are all instructed to be of the human species, then whatever 'creation' we 'make' we do so in the potential of the human capacity. Hence, nothing we 'create' is 'abnormal' or 'out of the ordinary'—hence, proficiency.

8. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

"I was doing time in the universal mind..."

9. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

Of course if one assumes that it is only our deliberate creations or even our pseudo deliberate creations that matter then your position is founded.

However if one takes the position that deep with in our instinctive sub conscious imaginations we have a shared imagination [ reality or universe ] then it could be suggested that all is an imagination. [ imaginary or a dream as such ] Sure as we are all dreaming a similar dream and one that has a certain uniform order to it [ laws and rules etc] it would appear not unlike a matrix [ re:film ] that is to say very real indeed.

Suffice to say that putting forward such an idea is very easy however proving it in logic or reason would be very difficult. [ even harder to prove in reality ]

The fact is we are able to impact on our environment creating what we want with it [ cities, roads, etc etc] so in a broad sense we are using our imagination to change what could be considered as a universal imagination. One imagination changing another so to speak.

So reality could be just one great shared lucid dream that has universal conformity and uniformity [ objectivity if you like ] and the ability for all participants within that lucid dream to affect change as per those laws and rules as per their own self determination.

10. Grantywanty Registered Senior Member

What do you need that is outside you? Why the question? Doesn't your act of searching outside imply that you don't believe everything is a creation of your mind?

11. Ripley Valued Senior Member

Not at all—I was not being pseudo-serious; I never suggested anything was deliberate—on the contrary, I deliberately said essentially:
    and
    In fact, imagination has not always been an intentional means but often, very often, a necessary method born out of exigencies, emergencies, determination, contestations.

If we utilize imagination as the only method to invent not reality itself but to invent an essential meaning so as to accommodate reality, then, what is being accommodated? I see two things, perhaps four: a planetary environment and an existent awareness of self within that environment. A third "reality" would come in later, much later, closely followed by a fourth—and that fourth "reality" would have to be a privilege for the few…

12. heliocentric Registered Senior Member

You could be right - once you get deep deep down to the underlying 'stuff' of the universe youre really just dealing with threads of energy.
    I was reading some Dequincy the other day, he said something to the effect of - 'matter is energy responding to the needs of a situation'.

Its not a bad explaination, otherwise you have this problem of why is a photon a photon? why not a positron?
    I think alot of its about group dynamics, energy simply conforms to need that the situation dictates. Not so much a case of self-actualizing for the sake of self-expression, but actualizing for the sake of group dynamics - being part of something larger than yourself.

13. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

Chewing Gum,

Ahh my mistake with interpreting your context. Your post was fabulous ......all the same.
    I was placing emphasis on the word "make" in your post and I assumed you were refering to the act of deliberate creation.

we in fact agree I feel.

Care to expand on these ........?

14. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

Actually I like this alot.....hmmmmm group dynamics....yes I see it as impossible to consider the universe without considering it as a group dynamic, in that nothing is in isolation and that everything is in a relationship of some sort with everything else.

A sort of self justifying entity that requires such dynamics.

like saying "The universe is a self governing singularity" which inspires the question:
    How can a singularity be governed when for it to be a singularity would require no other parties to the riddle?"

Ahhh the limitations of language....ha

15. swivel Sci-Fi Author Valued Senior Member

So, the bacterial theory of diseases is incorrect? We can come down with Malaria without ever coming into contact with the virus? Should doctors stop washing their hands after surgery and before delivering a baby? Because when they started washing their hands, lives were saved in extraordinary numbers. And when people in Cuba were taught to not leave standing water, malaria went away. But you think it is all in our minds?

16. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Why couldn't all of that be in your dreams, in your own mind?

I think you're viewing this issue with too much thought toward others. I can understand that if you've never had any really good, vivid dreams (or even thoughts). All of what you've mentioned above could easily be explained by it all being just your vivid imagination at work.

The problem, as I see it, is that the "Dream World" is easily imagined, but it doesn't change anything. If what's going on around you is part of your dreams, then ......so what? If you actually have little or no control over it, then you might as well enjoy the dreams as best you can, huh?

By the way, even what you're reading here is part of YOUR dream. I'm just a figment of your imagination ...having a discussion with you.

Baron Max

17. heliocentric Registered Senior Member

hehe yes, its definitely reaching the edges of linguistics talking about this kind of thing.
    Pretty mind-bending stuff, even when im reading off the shelf philosophy books about this kind of thing i have to re-read certain paragraphs about 3 times over to really 'get' it.
    The deeper the you get, the more realise how simply mind-blowingly complex and beautiful the universe is.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2007
  18. VitalOne Banned Banned

There is a problem with this notion. You see there must be some type of objective reality or a very dense form of a subjective reality. When we dream the dream world is different each time, a simple mental creation, but when we awake, the world we awake in is realitively the same. This reality we awake in is basically unchanging, this indicates some type of objectivity....

19. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Why can't the "waking up" be just one more facet of the dream? Have you never had a dream where you woke up, yet you were still dreaming? ...or awakened in a whole new world as part of the dream?

Baron Max

20. VitalOne Banned Banned

But if that were true then everytime you awake you'd be in a completely different world...I mean your bed wouldn't be in the same position, everything would be different, but instead when we awake everything is relatively the same as compared to the mental dreams we have while sleeping...

21. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Why? If it's your dream to always "wake up" in the same world, then you'd wake up in the same world.

Because that's your dream! You dream that you're living in this world, so you want to continue the dream.

You've also dreamed that you and I are having this discussion on sciforums. I'm just a figment of your imagination, nothing more.

If you're really going to discuss this, you really need to use your imagination a bit more and better. If your mind has made up everything, including my answers, there's no way for you to know.

I had one person tell me that it's the "soul's" method of coping with eternity ...instead of sitting on a cloud and picking music on a harp or something!

Baron Max

22. VitalOne Banned Banned

Perhaps the world does come from the mind, however the fact that we wake up in the relatively same world indicates that this world has some type of objective existence....unlike the dreams we have at night (therefore reality is not a dream, although it maybe like a dream)

This would mean that your mind some how keeps you in this world...

23. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Prove to yourself which dream is the real one ....the night dream or the waking dream? And if you're dreaming both, how could you possibly know?

If it's just in your mind, that doesn't make it any more real than any other dream. Have you not had the same or very similar dream before?

Every time you want to ask me a question about this, just expand your perspective a little and use you imagination. If you do that, you won't post any more questions.

Baron Max